The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I do notice the 7-string Moderns I tried are missing the attack I love from my Modern-loaded 6-string flying V.

Also I think the static noise is common. It's probably just the pickups powering up. When you disconnect the jack, it cuts off the power.

Frey likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

what are your bass/mid/treble settings on the 6505? telling us that you have "standard settings" isn't going to allow anyone to actually help you.
    here's a quick clip I did with a 6505 profile and my modern loaded guitar. chugs with ease.
    https://app.box.com/s/s6m4jm7p0rqt6sawc6tj4epu96lml1he

Frey likes this.
  3. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Well I'm at least happy to hear the static is most likely not an issue. I have fairly little experience with actives since I've never liked them too much. It wouldn't be the first case for me of a 7 string pup not sounding as good (or at least the same) either. I quite liked the DiMarzio Evolution and my old 6 string USA Soloist but never liked the 7 string model at all.

Apologies but I didn't suppose the EQ I left out would help too much here. Anyways, my settings for the SH7 are:

Pre - 5
    Bass - 8
    Mid - 4.5
    Treble - 5.5
    Resonance - 9
    Presence - 8

TS808:

OD - 0
    Tone - Maxed
    Level - Maxed

Your demo definitely displays some more bite than I've been able to coax out of these :( Were they Modern 7s?

4. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Mine are Modern 7s
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/dc3z2...65351_fishman_modern_7_voice_1_and_2.wav/file

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

i was using a 6 string baritone.
    those look like very bass heavy settings for a 6505, let alone for one that you're running a 7 string into. i've found with ergs that you want less bass coming from the amp since they already have more inherently than a 6 string does. i'd say try dialing in more mids/highs and dialing back the low end a fair amount. try and get a good sound without the ts8 first.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  6. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

I'm planning to buy a Ltd mh1000 evertune (the sweet one with flame maple top) and I'm wondering about swapping the emg set for Fishmans

Which set would you recommend me ? I play drop C/B metalcore and proggy stuff

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

moderns, unless you want the upper mid accentuation of the classics

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  8. LeviathanKiller

Classics are still passive sized only though, right?

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

yeah but the mh1000 is a 6 string so that doesn't matter..

10. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

Definitely the Devin set, it sounds great and is quite versatile. PS: Check out this video here, especially at 4m50s, for a cool comparison between the Modern and the DT set.

11. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

Thanks ! I just hope that the fishman neck pickup is more polyvalent than the 85
    Will I be able to wire them easily to try them out using emg quick connect, or do I have something to solder ?

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

you can wire them with the quick connect wiring, but you'll only get the one voicing iirc. It's easier to just install the electronics that come with the fishmans so you can have access to the multiple voicings/coil split.

13. LeviathanKiller

When are they going to offer the 7-string set of the Keith Merrow in soapbar?

Right now, buying them for a guitar would mean you're placing the current passive sized version in a soapbar route or jamming your battery into the control compartment. Not nicest options.

14. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Just installed the KSE set into a guitar. I feel like they are overlooked, for some reason. Most posts here are about the Devin or Stef sets (and the normal classic/modern sets obviously).

I bought them for a few reasons:
    1. I tried the set in Adam D's signature guitar, and loved the sound of it
    2. In addition to being a good guitarist, Adam D is a great producer, who has worked on lots of metal albums. He knows good recorded metal guitar tone
    3. KSE themselves have great guitar sounds, and both guys use these pickups

The KSE voice 1 is SUPER tight. It's a little brighter than the modern, and with less low end and slightly more mids. Voice 2 is really passive feeling, with a chunky low end and a bit less tightness. So to me, that's the best of both worlds. Voice 1 for really tight rhythm playing without too much bass mud, but has voice 2 for single note stuff, leads etc when you want thickness. Both voices have tons of articulation.

There's a general high end sizzle/sheen to the sound, which definitely helps them stand out in a mix.

The output is REALLY high. All my patches needed less gain.

My only criticism is that the single coil sounds are very very bland. They work, but it won't excite you.

15. Sanrek

Sanrek SS.org Regular

Interesting that you mention the single coil voicing of the KSE, since I was currently debating if I should modify my existing wiring in my Horus M3 installation (KSE bridge/Strat neck) to find a way to get access to it (currently the single volume pot p/p is obviously used for voice switching).

I guess I won't bother and will just live without the option if the results are nothing to get excited about to begin with.

16. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Haven't they recorded all their albums with EMG 81/85 sets and only recently (after recording the last one) switched to Fishmans?

17. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Correct. Although the album they are currently recording should have the new pickups. But honestly, their Fishman set are just clearer EMGs. I doubt their album will sound any different with them.

18. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Ha, I actually installed these in a Caparison too - the Brocken 27 inch baritone 6 string

Don't get me wrong - it still sounds like a single coil, so could definitely be used. I just mean it isn't any super special in terms of sound. The passive Caparison humbuckers were better when coil split. But the heavy rhythm sound, the Fishmans win hands down, by a mile.

Yep! But live they've been playing Fishman for about 2 years now.

And I meant more of a general point, that I like Adam D/KSE tone and production, so I would trust him to make a signature set of pickups.

A counter example to that might be he Devin set, where I really do like Devin but I've never thought their albums are particularly well produced. And his tone is more of a wall of sound, layered with delays and reverbs, where I don't think the pickup matters all that much. (I'm not in any way saying that they aren't good pickups).

This KSE set does sound quite different to an EMG81/85 though. Very different in the mid range - it's much more pronounced in the Fishman set. I'm very confident I'd be able to tell them apart in a blind test. The Fishman modern set, not so much.

Strobe likes this.
  19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Can confirm the KsE thing. The sound and feel is different than an 81/85 set. The KsE has more attack and brightness. Much stiffer sounding and feeling pickup. LOTS of midrange. The 81/85 has more low end, so there's more chunk and sag in the feel.

setsuna7, Flappydoodle and Strobe like this.
  20. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Which fishmans will fit into a multiscale 8?