The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

Get the Stephen set, which in my opinion is an improved Modern set, and be sure to wire the High Frequency tilt option to a push pull knob.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

What makes them more improved, in your opinion?

3. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

The low end was increased and the midrange tweaked which makes for a thick and in my opinion fairly balanced sound, where as the moderns sound a bit trebly and thin. Then I remember reading that the transient response and dynamics wwere improved on the Steph set by increasing the voltage/headroom, which I can easily hear with this set, since the clipped off transients or lack of dynamics is my single biggest issue with any active or powered pickups.

Usually actives always sound flat in comparison to passive pickups, lacking the front to back movement in volume, due to the dynamics being somewhat restricted. I know Ken Susi said the Fluence pickups are not compressed but I can still hear it, even with the Steph set, however the Steph set has the least amount of compression of any Fluence pickups I played, to the point where I don't have any issue with it anymore. I know that this compression I talk about is also partially caused by the blade/rail magnets used in most of the Fluence line, which will make any pickup sound more compressed, but it seems the headroom also plays a big role in it.

4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Tried the Stef Fluence on an ESP, and I think they are the least tight of all the Fluence pickups. But yeah, I can hear that it is more open. I imagine it can sound dark in some guitars like how the Devin set is.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

Thats why I was afraid of the Stef and Devy set. Sound like they're either heavy in the bass or lacking in the high end. It's why I dig the classics. Plenty of bright high end.

Speaking of that...

2018-08-25 17.54.12.jpg

Black nickel looks killer.

setsuna7, Kyle Jordan, Strobe and 2 others like this.
  6. EZMETAL

EZMETAL Who is John Galt?

Sweet axe!

I'm guessing as a thrash / death metal guy with a lot of tremolo picking I probably will like the standard ones better (not as flubby bass). It'll be an FR Horizon E2 FR-7. I guess I'll find out soon. I pulled the trigger and will have these installed within a week and see how they compare to the Blackhawks.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

That classic set is perfect for that explorer! My moderns are in black nickels too. Looks badass. Im thinking of getting a classic set for my SG, but i love the sound of the stock 498T. No way I can compare both since I sold my classic set from another guitar.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

I have the Moderns in another guitar. Might try to compare them one day. It's just the Moderns are in a Flying V, which is a pain in the ass to re-setup. :lol:

9. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Trying to Snag some 8 string sets but nowhere sells them in the UK!!!

Wanted the Tosins but nope none here, I have the moderns in my 7 and want something different, I've heard the Stephs are just a bit flubby

I really want classic 8's or Keith 8's but I don't think i've seen any made yet

10. Dust_to_Dust

Dust_to_Dust Mathew

Just had the Will Adler Fishman's put into my Duvell, and I freaking love them!

[​IMG]

I've also got a set of Devin's in my PRS Custom 24, these things are amazing too.

[​IMG]

11. EZMETAL

EZMETAL Who is John Galt?

I just swapped out my BK Blackhawk's out of my ESP Horizon for the Fishman Fluence. The Fishman for my style sounds way better and more even. If anything, it sounds somewhat like a hybrid between my EMG and BK (probably more on the EMG side but with much more clarity and attack). I'm not sorry to say I am quite happy about this. Probably put up my BK's on Reverb.

Kyle Jordan and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  12. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I really LOVE the clarity and attack of the Modern. But the EMG 57 on my other guitar have some fat low end and note separation when tuned down that I prefer. It's really hard to choose between the two...
    But I admit that the guitars are different. Both tune in B and neck thru, but a floyd rose (brass big block and titanium saddles) for the Fishman one (Jackson CS) and Ibanez fixed bridge for the other (Ibanez VBT).

I really love the 57 for the big fatty rythm sound and the Fishman for all the other metal things.
    I really hate the "slow" attack of the 57 on the low B. The EMG 81 and Fishman Modern are lightning fast in comparison.

If Fishman made a mix between both, it can be the perfect match for me.
    Maybe the Devin set is like these, but it cost a tons in Europe and if it's not what I want, I really be pissed...

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  13. juka

juka SS.org Regular

As you mentioned the EMG57/66 set, I think a lot of people would like to see a Fishman Fluence version of those, because I, too, have guitars where the Fluence Modern set is really perfect and others where the 57/66 just fits better sound wise.
    Likes the Devin set, too, but was always reaching for the tone pot as they sounded as tone was slightly turned down all of the time.

Korneo likes this.
  14. Majoggy

Majoggy SS.org Regular

Bought a Strandberg OS secondhand with a set of Fishman Moderns in it. Was totally prepared to love them, but I'm disappointed. Compared to my Nazgul/Sentient guitar, there is a distinct muddiness - like someone has turned up the resonance and I can't dial it out. So palm muting sounds a little flubby rather than the bright immediate attack or the nazgul. My description of the Moderns doesn't really sound like any I've read online. They also feel like they simultaneously lack output but also seem fairly compressed.

One thing to note is, the bridge seems quite far away from the pickups. I can't get it any higher, but I've seen that actives benefit from being as close to the string as possuble. However wouldn't this make the low end even muddier?

15. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I think the exact opposite ^^. I have a 7 strings guitar with a Nazgul and Sentient set and hate it for this exact reasons.

Exactly ! I've played the Blackout set for years and years. So the lacks of fat lows is really annoying for me.
    You said the Devin seems to have the tone turn down all the time. This is because of a "lack" of highs ? Do you have a bright or dark sounding guitar ?

16. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I even think to buy a SD Jeff Loomis set to have the same sound of the EMG 57 but with the signature mids of every SD and more clarity...

17. juka

juka SS.org Regular

The guitar I had them in is not dark sounding at all, but Devin's signature Framus guitar is said to be extremely bright.
    I even asked Frank Albo if they had HF tilt enabled by default, but he told me there is no HF tilt in the Devins. So maybe they just rolled off the high end to compensate for the overly bright signature guitar.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

It's weird. I have the Moderns in an all-mahogany flying V, and it's tight, bright, chunky... Perfect sounding.

Put them in a PRS SE SVN... Complete opposite. Dull, muddy, no attack. Sounded like ass.

I will admit I fucked up and didn't check if I put the Alnico in the bridge on accident. I had tons of hassle trying to install the pickup properly, so I might have fucked up in that regard.

It's weird because, for the most part, the Classics have been consistent in every guitar I've put them in.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  19. Dust_to_Dust

Dust_to_Dust Mathew

I don't my Devins to be dark or lacking highs either

Strobe likes this.
  20. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Regarding the Devins, I do not own them but my bandmate bought some a few weeks ago and I played his guitar for a bit. These are the most EMG sounding of the pickups. As others said, they are a little bit darker, but I would not call them dark. Think of an EMG 81. It's got a lot of upper mids, but the highs kind of have a smooth character to them. They will bite, but they will not grate your ears. The devins have that quality - but with a bit less of an upper mid spike and definitely some more of the lows/mids. They still have good clarity (as all the Fishmans I have played do - I am kind of surprised when someone has a different experience with them), and exceptional string separation.