The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

I don't have any classics currently. I'd assume they work fine for it since the moderns can go to drop g with no problem

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

That sounds to me like the tone knob on the EMGs was all the way down (or installed wrong). And brand new strings with the Fishman set - they even look shinier in the video.

Matt08642 likes this.
  3. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I played a guitar with the EMG 57/66 today and it suuuuucked compared to my Modern and Keith Merrow set.

4. KnightBrolaire

5. LeviathanKiller

For a second, I was surprised you bought a KM-7 MK-III then I realized. :lol:

-----

My pick for favorite set has switched to the Keith Merrow set. There's a fizz/peak that the Moderns have that I can't work with. The Merrow set has it's own peak elsewhere in the spectrum but it's more manageable for me. I'm curious about the Classic bridge but I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to try them side-by-side so I'll probably just stick with these.

The Modern set may come out actually sometime, although not soon. I still want to try the Tosin and Carpenter sets.

6. KnightBrolaire

yeah i'm going to swap the devy set in next. i didn't want to put classics in this particular guitar since the moderns were already kind of harsh on the high end, plus jazzhands said the classics are brighter than the moderns.

7. LeviathanKiller

Yes and no
    They're darker overall, but have a higher more present fizzy peak in them. The Merrow set just sounds much cleaner and articulate to me. That personal experience is making me reconsider the Classics.

8. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Did you guys try the HF Tilt? It rolls that (what is to me) weird high end fuzz off and nothing else. It’s the way to go for me, otherwise it feels like the presence is dialed to 11.

EDIT: On the flip side that high end “sparkle” is no doubt one of their main selling points for most people.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Flappydoodle and LeviathanKiller like this.
  9. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

The Tosins are a little closer to the Devin Townsend set if you want less top end. Devin's have a ton of low mids and a very smooth top end. Tosin set has a smoother top end than the modern, and along with the classics are my favorites for leads.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  10. LeviathanKiller

I should try that before I ditch them I suppose.

Devy set isn't available in 7-string sets sadly :(

11. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I did some blinded testing last night with my wife randomly playing the clips and me sorting them by order of preference. I did one experiment for Voice 1, then another for voice 2.

A very enlightening experience which I highly recommend. It’s surprisingly hard to be consistent. Number one factor is whatever you just heard previously. If it’s something tight like the KSE, then the Classic sounds flubby by comparison. But then going back to the KSE makes it sound brittle. It’s incredibly subjective. However, over time, a couple of favourites eventually stand out. I went in with an idea of what I might like, and I was only partly right. The blind test is the ultimate test.

The one which emerged the highest for both voice 1 and 2 would be the one I buy.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  12. LeviathanKiller

Yeah normalization to a given sound really confuses the whole selection process. The way I've been selecting keepers of pickup sets or even presets or other things is by asking myself what can I consistently pickup in a session and be happy with before playing an extended period of time. By the end of a session, I could convince myself anything is really bad or is really good. It's the first part of the session that reveals the truth really.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  13. Don Tonberry

Don Tonberry SS.org Regular

I've got a set of Moderns I really like but find the split coil sounds a little bit lacking. I want to get another set of Fishmans for another guitar I have. Leaning towards either the Classics/Open core or Tosins. I guess if I want that nice split coil sound I should go for the Tosins? Couldn't find too much on the split coil on the Classics

14. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

However good anyone thinks the fishmans are, the 57/66s are great pickups. I read this statement like, "I tried a burrito today and it suuuuucked compared to my ice cream and candy bars."

Don Tonberry likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

they really are the best set emg makes for overall versatility imo.

16. LeviathanKiller

Tonal preferences are my own of course but...
    They're all pickups. It's a fair justified comparison, even more so with them both being active sets. They're very fizzy and harsh, kinda grating actually, compared to pickup sets I own. The Fishman Moderns I have come somewhat close since they're also kinda fizzy/harsh on voice 1, but they sound better because that grating high end isn't as pronounced over the other frequencies. The cleans are very flat too. Definitely not as dynamic as the Fishmans. I feel like I actually prefer cleans on the Fishman sets compared to my passive sets but I haven't sat down and extensively compared them with clean settings, just high gain settings. I used to own an 81/85 set and what I didn't like about them has remained in the new 57/66 set.

17. EZMETAL

EZMETAL Who is John Galt?

Sorry - I'm a little late here. I'm thinking of ordering a pair of Fishman moderns for my 7-string ESP Horizon FR-7. Currently, it was Blackhawks and too be honest, it's a little too icey and bright for me despite the clarity. My other FR-7 has 81's in it which I really like. I suspect if I like the EMG's, the Fishman's may work better for me. Thoughts?

18. KnightBrolaire

if the blackhawks are bright, the moderns will be likely be worse for that guitar.

19. EZMETAL

EZMETAL Who is John Galt?

Gotcha - I thought they were supposed to be closer to EMG's?

20. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

H.F.Tilt.