The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Have you ever visited Texas? I really don't think you would survive out there. I grew up in Florida and spent three years in Iraq and couldn't survive in Texas. I got sunburned checking my fucking mail out there. Living in Texas is like living under a gigantic magnifying glass in the sky. In the summer there is literally no time of day when it isn't hotter than holy fuck outside. At least a desert gets cold at night. 0530am at Fort Hood? Almost 90 fucking degrees still after cooling off all night and still dark outside. And you are from Finland? Texas is an oven. You will die from the heat before you have time to get shot.

AxeHappy and BlackMastodon like this.
  2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

And nothing like waking up on a Texas summer morning with zero breeze, temps hovering around 85 degrees and about 98% humidity... almost hard to even breathe and sweating within seconds.

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

That's actually the kind of weather we have in the summer when it doesn't rain or something else. Also the sun doesn't go down at all during the summer (for a few days, the rest of the time it's only down for a few hours), so it's basically impossible to cool your house down without some kind of A/C. Last week I woke up a couple of times with my hair so wet from sweat, it felt almost as if I'd taken a shower, went and checked the temperature and it was 37C (98F) inside, after having all the windows open and fans blasting at max speed all through the night... :lol:

I'm sure the sunshine is hotter in Texas though, I don't doubt that :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

It's a D'daddario XL set with single 62 :) I found 62 to be too boomy in drop A (25,5" scale) and put 56 for standard instead, because I haven't got 59's at the moment.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I don't remember Texas being humid whenever I used to visit there as a kid? I thought it was as dry as Arizona.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

depends on where you are in texas. San Antonio/Houston and most of eastern texas (near louisiana) is hot and humid as fuck. It's mostly dry heat in western texas or near the Oklahoma border.

7. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Yeah Texas is as big or bigger than most European countries. It has its own different weather regions. All different types of burning hell.

8. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

...and then it's time to get in the car.

[​IMG]

9. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

That explains it then, my uncle lived in Plano which while still east, isn't nearly on the shore like the others so we didn't quite catch the humidity

11. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

First world problem:

I’ve had a new pickup for a LONG time (Eintwistle HDN) but don’t want to put in the time and effort to swap it in to my only guitar (that’s right, i only have one guitar)

Plus the current pickups (Black winters) have matching nickel covers so if i actually like the HDN I’m going to have to cover it as well :(

AxeHappy and Edika like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

sell the black winter set and buy a black winter neck with black bobbins :lol:

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

As you head west from the Hill Country area the humidity really falls off ( depending on time of year and weather conditions... pressure, fronts, etc) but generally speaking the closer you get to the south and east, the more it rises. In central Texas the humidity can be unbearable at times. Only thing that burns off the stifling morning humidity is the sun, so... muggy and hot or less muggy and hotter than HELL lol. Cannot wait till Oct when we'll get our first weak "cold" fronts.

I used to LOVE having leather seats... then I moved to Texas!

14. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

That works too. If i went through with that i might just put a ceramic Warpig in the neck

15. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

As someone who just spent 11 hours outside at work...

[​IMG]

It's not that hot as long as there is a breeze.

16. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I found a recipe for an Ernest Hemingway daiquiri, and I figured I'd try one since I'm halfway through For Whom The Bell Tolls.

I remembered the recipe wrong while I was in the store, I thought it took a lot more grapefruit than limes, so I have more grapefruits than I know what to do with, and I'm having to juice like 5 limes a drink because I bought the little ones.

17. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

New glasses hurts my eye muscles and looking at close objects feels kind of weird, damn you brains.

18. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I decided to do a GRUME (gentlemanly restraint until month's end) on shaving shit; idea being that you get to work with a few things and get to know them really well while not spending money on shit.

Problem being that I have like 15 fucking razors and over 50 soap/AS splash sets, plus like 40 different bottles of decently expensive cologne. I don't see how this is going to help me, other than that I'm not buying more shit...

Acting like a gentleman is hard....

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Y'all know that 99% of all Westerns are filmed in or around Agoura Hills or Santa Clarita CA?

Doesn't matter if it's "Texas" or "Mexico" or "Dakota", you're still looking at desert brushland north of Los Angeles

PS on the bright side, at least they started doing Portland and Seattle in Canada in recent years... still off, but a bit less wildly so

20. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Here's an eye test for you. If you leave your glasses on you should see Albert Einstein below. If you take your glasses off you then should see Marilyn Monroe.:cool:

Eye Test.jpg

;>)/