The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not my FWP, but a guy in a FB group I'm in had a good one.

A bit of background first:
The government has been saying that because we're not getting electricity from Russia that we used to get, there might be outages in the winter - apparently they will be short and rotate so that every household doesn't get them every time and they will try to do it in a controlled way so that we know in advance when power will be out.

So in this FB group someone made a poll about whether people are worried about the power outages. I replied that I'm not worried in the slightest: if we have an outage, then we just keep the doors and windows shut and the temperature won't drop much before power is back.

Then this guy comments "yeah but what if you're working remotely and drop out of a meeting because of the outage". I explain that that's exactly what I do, I work 100% remotely and in such a case my MBP battery lasts a full workday easily. Assuming that the mobile network stays up, I'll just connect using my phone as a hotspot and get back to the meeting in a matter of minutes. If the mobile network also goes down I'll just have to contact the meeting attendees and schedule a new meeting once power is back.

Then he goes "oh but I can't do it because my mesh ap's and 32" monitors don't run on battery power and the mobile network might be unstable" :lol: So that's your worst case scenario, you worry that you'll have to work using the laptop's display and mobile internet for a couple of hours? That's a FWP if I ever saw one.
Not to mention they've made battery backups that could keep a dual 32" modern monitor setup and a huge tower running for hours for, oh, say, a couple decades now. We buy them as a matter of course for our home systems, laptop or tower. We never trust grid power for computers.

One of my people has a pet issue today that sent me into a bit of a spiral. There's a lot of bad in the world, but when it's pet related it's like a gut-punch, a heart-punch, and a nut-punch all at once.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get the panic over the power going out. I mean, could you not just take the time off or defer the work until the power comes back? Seems like there'd be more pressing issues to think about in that moment, like making sure you can see, making sure food doesn't go bad, etc.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get the panic over the power going out. I mean, could you not just take the time off or defer the work until the power comes back? Seems like there'd be more pressing issues to think about in that moment, like making sure you can see, making sure food doesn't go bad, etc.

Yeah, I'm not worried at all. Food isn't gonna go bad or the house get cold if the power's out for a few hours, as they're saying it's gonna be...

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
power outage=fun spooky candle party

my FWP is that I am so tired of pooping. I poop when I wake up, then I drink coffee and it makes me poop some more. please god deliver me from this endless torment.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
power outage=fun spooky candle party

my FWP is that I am so tired of pooping. I poop when I wake up, then I drink coffee and it makes me poop some more. please god deliver me from this endless torment.

As someone who's switched to a very protein heavy diet....same.

Also...realizing I'm going into working out around 15-20 pounds lighter than I thought I was has kicked me in the ass so much harder than I thought it would. I was originally thinking take it easy at first because I haven't worked out in like 15 years, but then I saw I was 243 instead of 267. I could take it easy because, duh, or I could listen to my inner voice that says nah dude, couple more sets lets get in to the 230s.

So I can barley move at the monument.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love getting paid to poop, but most workplace toilets are short on amenities. I'm all about that squatty potty life. Also, 1-play TP is self-abuse.
Speaking of paid pooping----

I roll my ass to the restroom, close door, lock, hear "burble."

I look at the toilet and it's a water geyser about a foot and half above the seat.

Guess I didn't need to shit that bad after all. Sigh.

And when I get back to my desk HR sends out a warning to avoid the toilets for the next hour. Thanks guys. Coulda used that a little earlier. LOL.

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A really really First World Problem, I'm all for the GDPR and somewhat controlling the access of cookies and data various firms use to bombard us with ads. Not that they don't but at least there's some sense of control.

What I absolutely hate is the sneaky fucks that in their page design do not have a "Reject All Option" and sometimes have the vendors separate with a gazillion vendors to tick off. They also have introduced another sneaky aspect of "Legitimate Interest" and while consent is off, all of them are active. Again no general reject or object button. So if you're interested in the article you have to loose 5 fucking minutes ticking all that crap off. I know they just want to make you accept or save whatever crap is there to get to the article ASAP but I just close the pages those pages and try to find alternate sources for those news that have less cumbersome choices.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I put that cookies thing in the same bucket as when you have sites with pop ups that insist you turn off your ad-blocker before continuing. Most of the time I'm not even using a formal ad-blocker, it's either filtered out by work IT stuff or, or a really simple hosts-file type block. But it's there. And it's a pain.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I put that cookies thing in the same bucket as when you have sites with pop ups that insist you turn off your ad-blocker before continuing. Most of the time I'm not even using a formal ad-blocker, it's either filtered out by work IT stuff or, or a really simple hosts-file type block. But it's there. And it's a pain.

I got as far as "I put the cookies in the bucket" and now I've got a mad sugar craving

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The pitch shifter for my Floyd is taking longer to get here than the actual guitar it's going on, which means it's delaying going to the shop for an overhaul. SMH.

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm trying to find 7 string Nickel Silver baseplates that have the more rounded, smaller profile and its becoming an annoying task. I can't find anyone selling something like that in the UK, the one seller in Germany, which the site is in German only of course, when I put my address and have UK as the country I get a message that the address is wrong, but just switching the country to whatever else it gives me a shipping quote!
Mojotone had the basplates at $5 each but shipping costs for two are $50!
Another US seller has them at $7.5 each and the cheaper shipping costs are at $14 but will.take 3-4 weeks to arrive!
I'm still annoyed with BK for not selling baseplates and want £90 something to replace them themselves.
If anyone in EU and UK has any leads on these type of baseplates (more rounded corners and not the square ones) please send me a link!

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I've been working out pretty hard because, like I think I've posted, I'm tired of being a fatass. One of the dudes I work with and me have been motivating each other in the most toxic of masculine way (that works with friends), like how he's a pussy because he has a leg day instead of doing legs everyday.

So we wound up arguing about which dude is better looking shirtless????(at least I'll admit I'm bi and would call Henry Cavill daddy.) But we decided to do one of Henry Cavill's Superman workouts.

The one I picked was Lift 10,000 lbs as quickly as possible by performing just one rep of each exercise in succession. Use any weight you want and limit yourself to one rep per round. Squat, bench press, and deadlift. That works out to around 66 reps each with the 50 pound sandbag I have. I got low 20s on the bench press and deadlift (went full yolo on the workout this week), was on 42 when I felt like I wasn't going low enough to count it as a squat. Hopefully I lose and my boy doesn't turn into Johnny Bravo.