The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure if this fits here or WTF?

Mom's birthday is coming up. I usually take her out for a meal and hang out a bit.

She lost her husband over the past year, so I don't mind spending a bit more time with her. Cool cool, whatevs.

But she's got this new friend. An older Russian gal that's, well, according to the gal at work that lives next to them both, nuttier than a fruit basket. She's caught her drunk out of her mind laying in the snow a few times in the middle of winter. Hey, man, go go Russian hobbies and shit. I don't give a fuck. She seems to be nice to mom, so that's cool.

But now mom wants the usual meal plus hanging out with Russian gal and her husband "for a few hours" after. "They really want to get to know you."

Fuckin' why? I barely get time to hang out with my own friends these days. Why would I make extra time to hang out with mom's? The more we talked about it the more I got the vibe that this new friend is gonna be grilling me to see if I'm worthy of hanging out with my mom?! Uh, that's not how this shit works.

I dunno, maybe I'm seeing it wrong. I do know this other lady's sons have disappeared on her. One lives in China and one in Norway. They basically would do anything to stay away from her, and she's utterly baffled at how nice I am to mom. Like, we spent a Saturday over there a few weeks ago rebuilding one of those folding Japanese painted screens/room dividers for mom and this other lady was there watching the whole process. After mom told me this other lady just didn't understand how I could still be so friendly with mom.

Um? Cause she's my mom? I mean, she ain't perfect, and we've had our issues over the years, but for fuck sake, she's still mom. WTF?

So, this whole thing is sitting there over my head like a great big question mark of fuckery. Thank dorgs I took an extra couple days off surrounding her birthday so I get some unwind time between that and going back to work, but WTF?

Just WTF?

Oh, one other addendum: A few weeks back mom told me she's cutting this bitch outta her life cause she's cheating on her husband all the time and when mom asked why she says, and I quote, "My husband loves me so much he won't care."

Mom and me are on the phone the next day, she's saying the lady won't stop calling her, then she shows up mid-call and mom says she has to go. Next thing I know they're all chummy again. I still have no idea WTF happened, and I tried asking. Basically get back, "We decided we can't be choosy with friends at our age."

Is that a royal 'we' like wives and husbands use? Like, "we" need to clean the gutters. Or "we" really need to scrub the bathroom sink.

This is the most WTF I've felt in a long time about a situation. Only compounded by eating up hours of my writing time for hanging out with somebody I really have no desire to hang out with.

I'm tolerating this one for mom's birthday, but seriously, WTF?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
That's wacky.
I dunno how relevant this is, but it made me think - it's been my experience that a lot of people are incapable of imagining that others have different relationships with their parents. You were close to your parent? Must mean everyone is close to their parents. You hated your parents? Everyone must. Like it's an experience that we only have one of (one set of?), and so the default mindset is that this must be the normal / standard by which to compare every other familial relationship.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's wacky.
I dunno how relevant this is, but it made me think - it's been my experience that a lot of people are incapable of imagining that others have different relationships with their parents. You were close to your parent? Must mean everyone is close to their parents. You hated your parents? Everyone must. Like it's an experience that we only have one of (one set of?), and so the default mindset is that this must be the normal / standard by which to compare every other familial relationship.
My wife has the impression that this lady's hoping to cause a big bruhaha between ma and me, but we got that shit out of our systems a LONG time ago. It would be HIGHLY entertaining to watch this other lady flail in frustration trying to pull it off if that's the goal. I have my doubts there, but wouldn't completely rule it out.

People do have weird standards when it comes to parent/child relationships. Especially thinking others must be the same. Gonna be an interesting weekend, one way or another.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Now here's a FWP if there ever was one :lol: My wife hired a cleaner to clean our house, because we're too lazy to wash our floors and stuff like that. Fine. Anyway, now anytime the cleaner's coming, we have to clean the entire house so the cleaner can come clean it :wallbash:

But I suppose it's ok, at least we have an excuse to clean up properly every once in a while and the cleaner does actually clean everything much better than we would (for example she washes the bathroom sink so clean, you could easily mistake it for a brand new one directly from the hardware store).

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Spotify was partially down for a while after lunch. It would play stuff that was already in cueue or in one of my playlists, but search+other pages wouldn't load at all (http code 503).
Worst 15 minutes ever, I had to continue listening to what I had going before lunch instead of ... possibly more of the same :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Forgot how much I hate playing the "waiting for new gear in the mail" game, just hurry up and get here already!

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Mom's birthday is coming up. I usually take her out for a meal and hang out a bit.

She lost her husband over the past year, so I don't mind spending a bit more time with her. Cool cool, whatevs.

But she's got this new friend. An older Russian gal that's, well, according to the gal at work that lives next to them both, nuttier than a fruit basket. She's caught her drunk out of her mind laying in the snow a few times in the middle of winter. Hey, man, go go Russian hobbies and shit. I don't give a fuck. She seems to be nice to mom, so that's cool.

But now mom wants the usual meal plus hanging out with Russian gal and her husband "for a few hours" after. "They really want to get to know you."

Fuckin' why? I barely get time to hang out with my own friends these days. Why would I make extra time to hang out with mom's? The more we talked about it the more I got the vibe that this new friend is gonna be grilling me to see if I'm worthy of hanging out with my mom?! Uh, that's not how this shit works.

I dunno, maybe I'm seeing it wrong. I do know this other lady's sons have disappeared on her. One lives in China and one in Norway. They basically would do anything to stay away from her, and she's utterly baffled at how nice I am to mom. Like, we spent a Saturday over there a few weeks ago rebuilding one of those folding Japanese painted screens/room dividers for mom and this other lady was there watching the whole process. After mom told me this other lady just didn't understand how I could still be so friendly with mom.

Um? Cause she's my mom? I mean, she ain't perfect, and we've had our issues over the years, but for fuck sake, she's still mom. WTF?

So, this whole thing is sitting there over my head like a great big question mark of fuckery. Thank dorgs I took an extra couple days off surrounding her birthday so I get some unwind time between that and going back to work, but WTF?

Just WTF?

Oh, one other addendum: A few weeks back mom told me she's cutting this bitch outta her life cause she's cheating on her husband all the time and when mom asked why she says, and I quote, "My husband loves me so much he won't care."

Mom and me are on the phone the next day, she's saying the lady won't stop calling her, then she shows up mid-call and mom says she has to go. Next thing I know they're all chummy again. I still have no idea WTF happened, and I tried asking. Basically get back, "We decided we can't be choosy with friends at our age."

Is that a royal 'we' like wives and husbands use? Like, "we" need to clean the gutters. Or "we" really need to scrub the bathroom sink.

This is the most WTF I've felt in a long time about a situation. Only compounded by eating up hours of my writing time for hanging out with somebody I really have no desire to hang out with.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 7.20.18 AM.png

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Forgot how much I hate playing the "waiting for new gear in the mail" game, just hurry up and get here already!

Looks like it's going to get here on Saturday, which would be lovely if I wasn't at a wedding two hours away and staying overnight 😭 So it looks like Sunday will have a present waiting for me

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I keep forgetting to cash my expense checks from work, which will cover the entirety of my new guitar purchase :lol: I need to do it within the next week or one of them will expire, but I have Friday off so here's hoping.

Same. I honestly can’t be bothered; wish they’d just approve it and add it to my direct deposit, I seriously don’t have time to go to the bank and deal with em. I have like 30 stacked on my desk.

Just WTF?

Fuck all that sir.

My mom and I hang out on my time; she’s retired and I’m not, I make time when I can but that’s it.

There’s no fuckin WAY I’m acceding to demands from her friends, IDGAF who they think they are.

That bitch can blow you, she sounds crazy af anyway, this can only go bad and waste time with your mom.

Hard pass.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I keep forgetting to cash my expense checks from work, which will cover the entirety of my new guitar purchase :lol: I need to do it within the next week or one of them will expire, but I have Friday off so here's hoping.

Same. I honestly can’t be bothered; wish they’d just approve it and add it to my direct deposit, I seriously don’t have time to go to the bank and deal with em. I have like 30 stacked on my desk.

You guys can't use your phone to deposit checks? I've been doing that with my bank's mobile app for years.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Sir I’m 48 yrs old; I don’t even know what you just said kid, but you special
I legit can't tell how serious this is. But mobile deposits are really convenient if your bank provides a way to do them. Worth looking into if it can save you trips to a branch.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
You guys can't use your phone to deposit checks? I've been doing that with my bank's mobile app for years.

You guys still have checks? Over here everything goes directly to and from your bank account... My dad (who lives in Australia, which apparently is on the stone age in terms of banking) once sent me a check for my birthday and when I went to the bank to cash it in, they didn't even know wtf to do with it :lol: I ended up sitting there for an hour or so until they finally got ahold of someone who had actually seen a check and knew the process to get the money onto my account... And that was around 10 years ago.

Last edited:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Man I gotta tell you guys; I fuckin love this thread.

I’ve tried this on other forums and it just doesn’t work.

You guys fuckin GET IT.

Last 2 pages have been awesome.
SSO is the S Tier forum, bb.

My FWP is that this has been a fucking tough year for me and my partner in terms of finances, but that's because we had about 4 VERY good years leading up to this one so that we could survive something like this. It's a FWP because the big strain on us is putting my partner through school in the US, because the program she is taking isn't offered at the Canadian university here in town so she has to go to Detroit, and even before currency exchange school in the US is a little over 2x as expensive as it is in Canada, but then tack on the extra 30%+ for exchange. We've been paying cash until now but it's no longer sustainable as other bills are piling up, so time to take out student loans and go into a pile of debt like the rest of American millennials. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I legit can't tell how serious this is. But mobile deposits are really convenient if your bank provides a way to do them. Worth looking into if it can save you trips to a branch.
On the rare occasion I get a check, I totally go with mobile deposits. That way I don't have to talk to anyone. Or stand in line. Or take an hour out of my day going to and from the bank.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
You guys still have checks? Over here everything goes directly to and from your bank account... My dad (who lives in Australia, which apparently is on the stone age in terms of banking) once sent me a check for my birthday and when I went to the bank to cash it in, they didn't even know wtf to do with it :lol: I ended up sitting there for an hour or so until they finally got ahold of someone who had actually seen a check and knew the process to get the money onto my account... And that was around 10 years ago.
In the US we do... I don't think we should but we do. They've been on the way out for a LONG time but some old people and institutions still just insist on payment being made via a physical thing. There were certain things at uni that REQUIRED a check for payment up until the second year of the pandemic for crying out loud. Since I couldn't go on campus in 2020, I had to MAIL payment via check to various offices. When I was in grad school pre-pandemic I would sometimes burn a whole hour getting a form, walking it around campus for signatures, then taking it to an office with a physical check to be filed. That's all digital now but it should have been years ago. It's saving students and clerks tons of time but some of the professors are old and struggle with filing important stuff correctly. Ask me how I know... :noplease:

I used to teach private music lessons as a business and I would have to spend maybe 30 minutes once a month taking pictures of a stack of checks with my phone to deposit them. I would sing the praises of the convenience of electronic payments to my clients but only one wanted to do it - he was also a contractor who had to manage payment from clients, go figure. :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I use a credit union vs big bank (fuck TD, fuck all of them honestly) and their app hasn't added mobile deposits yet; or if they did I tried to enroll and it never went anywhere, so that's why I still have to do it at an ATM/branch.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The stock market went down again today, but the CAD dropped enough in value that my investments actually went up in CAD.

So is that a win or a lose. ... or a lose lose. 🤔 🤔