The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I really miss getting drunk.

It's the opposite of what people were previously saying. I used to drink a lot but never got addicted to it, and now that I'm a responsible parent™, I don't even feel like it when I get the chance. The main problem is that I don't get that total "reboot" at all, so I'm just in constant mental fatigue. Even my wife keeps saying I need to do a full factory reset someday soon. Of course the healthy choice would be to replace it with something else, but tbh I'm just not interested.

Yeah, I have a beer or two every now and then, but it's just not the same thing as hitting the road with some friends and drinking all day or even several days and finding yourself in weird situations :lol: Hopefully the summer festival season will fix that.

That's actually kinda where I have landed with booze. I haven't been a huge drinker in a long time, but these days I have a wife who doesn't drive so wherever we might go I'm always the transport. Even when gigging we are always driving home.

I do still drink, sometimes, but I kinda do it for the swagger - I have fancy whisky glasses and premium mixers and all kinds of paraphernalia. I just have a couple to mark when I achieve something worthwhile at work. I almost have to remind myself though. Like, make some time to actually enjoy things when you do well.

I wouldn't say I miss the madness of my youth, but I do miss the friends and the relationships I used to have. It's probably natural and normal to just grow out of it, and I would judge myself for being that kind of bum as I head towards 40. But I do still miss having a couple of bros who I've been through everything with. The beer is an important factor, so is that feeling that "drinking" is an activity.

These days if someone said "Hey, you wanna come get hammered?" then my answer would be an exhausted "No".

Although, having said that, back in the early days of the pandemic when I was furloughed (ie, being paid to stay home) I did get into the habit of crushing up my ADHD pills and shotgunning beers, and that is a good fucking time. So... Make of that what you will.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
but I do miss the friends and the relationships I used to have. It's probably natural and normal to just grow out of it, and I would judge myself for being that kind of bum as I head towards 40. But I do still miss having a couple of bros who I've been through everything with. The beer is an important factor, so is that feeling that "drinking" is an activity.

These days if someone said "Hey, you wanna come get hammered?" then my answer would be an exhausted "No".

Although, having said that, back in the early days of the pandemic when I was furloughed (ie, being paid to stay home) I did get into the habit of crushing up my ADHD pills and shotgunning beers, and that is a good fucking time. So... Make of that what you will.

Yup! I never drink alone (never really have). The whole point in my drinking is to loosen up and do stuff that you can laugh about later, so drinking at home alone kinda defeats the purpose.
I basically stopped drinking alltogether (apart from a couple of parties along the way) when the pandemic started for this particular reason.
I used to get drunk with my wife sometimes back when she still drank, but first she decided not to drink because she had some pretty bad hangovers, then she got pregnant and now she's breastfeeding, so that option's off the table too, at least for some time.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Yup! I never drink alone (never really have). The whole point in my drinking is to loosen up and do stuff that you can laugh about later, so drinking at home alone kinda defeats the purpose.
I basically stopped drinking alltogether (apart from a couple of parties along the way) when the pandemic started for this particular reason.
I used to get drunk with my wife sometimes back when she still drank, but first she decided not to drink because she had some pretty bad hangovers, then she got pregnant and now she's breastfeeding, so that option's off the table too, at least for some time.

That's one place where we differ - I have no problems drinking or doing drugs alone. The world is boring, so whatever. But while I am not reliably accountable to myself, I desperately need the respect and admiration of my wife (she is a delicate flower, she likes me being a big hairy Superman). This contrasts sharply with my ex, where I really did not care.

TL DR - A wife is good for a man.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
FTFY.

I've seen some mates with horrible significant others. (Same could be said about female friends and their horrible significant other)

But I mostly agree.

My wife is really good for me.

Fair.

I definitely nearly married the wrong one not all that long ago.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sitting here having a drink watching some live videos, and for some reason this is bothering the hell out of me

hqdefault.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Went down to CT for a work outing with our main studios, was out in the sun from like 11-2, and now I'm burnt on my forearms and head. It's not like it'll turn into a tan, or that I'm "getting a base coat" etc, this is just always what happens. Always burn, never tan.

Thanks for nothing northern Euro genetics

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, his picking technique always irked tf outta me. Tornado of Souls solo is cool and all, but i could never get into him as a player because of that shit.

Man, I've always seen people talk about it, but somehow I've never noticed it until now. Like Willie Adler's bothers me

wiiliehb.jpg

But somehow I've never noticed Marty's until now. I love his guitar playing, but all of a sudden, watching him play is like
vwEQrk.gif

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Something in my microphone's chain is peaking somewhere, but it is apparently beyond the abilities of science to tell me what or where. I know something has to be redlining because I can hear that my monitors are distorting, and I know it's in the mic chain because other sound sources can go substantially louder without distorting... And yet no matter where I stick an RTA I can't find anything that is dangerously high.

I feel like my mixer is gaslighting me 😭
So weird. Something in the chain damaged and lacking headroom?

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
So weird. Something in the chain damaged and lacking headroom?

Turns out nothing damaged, just really fast transients right from the mic. I dropped a 2A style compressor right after the pre-amp set to limit and it's crazy to watch the gain reduction catching the peaks - Slicing off like 10db from the peaks but the metered volume stays where it was, just no clipping anymore. Now I can crank it up and no blow out.

I have had some similar problems previously, where the chain I want for my IEMs is definitively not what I want from my chain to the PA. To get good level in my ears (even with my old IEMs, which were less impacted) I ran at 30db of gain, but FoH guys hated it. Now I've split the mic input, so the FoH take my mic with zero processing and I can change that gain without it messing with anything else.

I am in the market for something with less knobs to handle this though - Something kinda robust and road worthy that will create some analogue soft clipping instead of nasty distortion. Any ideas, let me know!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
First world problem: trying to sell guitars in a much cooler market.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
A storm ripped through and killed the power here for almost 24hrs, so everything in my freezer defrosted, and now I have to cook everything. I didn't lose anything, but it's just inconvenient.