The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
I'm debating on building a coffee table and a bookshelf, or grabbing them off of CL. I could build them relatively easily, but this could easily turn into a huge fucking hassle. hmmmm

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I'm debating on building a coffee table and a bookshelf, or grabbing them off of CL. I could build them relatively easily, but this could easily turn into a huge fucking hassle. hmmmm

Oh man I had very similar inclinations at the start of lockdown... Don't do it. Just buy stuff that you like. Unless you have every tool and consumable imaginable sitting around waiting to be used, you will end up spending more on your home made than you would at Ikea or whatever.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
And now my struggle today - What the actual fuck is wrong with eBay these days? We need some proper etiquette around the "make an offer" button, and some way to just say no I do not want to get offers from this guy any more.

I have put up some old bits of gear, as you do. I put them up at reasonable start prices, maybe a third of their new list price, with the expectation that eventually I'll probably get up to half the original price.

So far I have received FIVE offers trying to buy one item for less than the starting price, after 8 hours of the listing being up. Look, I get that people want a bargain. But if you are trying to make me an offer so early on, you need to offer me at least the starting price, you know? The item has had 30 views and 10 watchers. I'm confident that someone will bid for it, not least because I know that these units are quite hard to come by.

We aren't even talking about huge chunks of money. Just... Starting price is £25, and sending me several offers at 21, 22 and 23 is beyond garbage.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

CL is gold if you have the luxuries of patience and persistence. All of my furniture has either come from there, or the dump.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did you start getting furniture off Craigs List before or after that guy thought your advert was an invitation to anonymous gay sex?

Effective manifestation is all about consistency. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Amplifiers on fire off the shoulder of a sketchy driveway. I've watched sexual propositions glitter in the dark from my MacBook screen at 2am. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fuck alcohol and fuck addiction.

I've spent the last 5 days feeling like I was going to die if I didn't have a drink. But I am the same man who got over crippling depression through sheer willpower and spite. And with the way my brain works, cutting out drinking completely, that shit still controls you.

I've gone from the point where I was spending 1 paycheck a month on alcohol, to just the weekends, to just Friday, to today, where it was one of those days where you just have a drink or 2 to unwind after work, and I've had 4 and I would bareknuckle box Mike Tyson for drink number 5.

Protestheriphery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a pending NGD to unbox. It arrived in the mail 3 weeks ago. That day, I put it in a corner, and its been sitting there ever since. The whole time, I’ve been trying to talk myself into cracking it open, and getting it over with.

Furthermore, I have a stupid rule that I HAVE TO do a video unboxing any new gear I get. It’s mostly to document the condition it arrives in. It’s SUCH a PITA to do at this point. Also the video quality is trash, as I don’t have decent lighting at home. So it’s not even worth watching. Not like I'd toss it up on the Toobz, with the millions of OTHER guitar unboxings.

I should just stop making a big deal and open up the box, like I used to. Ya know…like…back in the pre-smart phone days. BEFORE people had to document the tiniest events of day-to-day life. “I sat down to put my shoes on. Here’s how it went-STORY TIME!!!-"

Also, I’m not as enthusiastic as I thought I’d be, to check it out. Main reason is: This is the THIRD guitar I’ve bought thats designed on the same platform. It’s just another variation of an ESP M. If I’d bought a 7 or 8 string, I’d already have played it by now. I don’t have any of those, so it’d be more interesting.

Oh well, at least the return window has expired. I don’t have to worry about any compulsive urge to just return it all together. That’s not an option anymore. It’s all mine, whether I end up liking it or not...

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score

I've spent the last 5 days feeling like I was going to die if I didn't have a drink. But I am the same man who got over crippling depression through sheer willpower and spite. And with the way my brain works, cutting out drinking completely, that shit still controls you.

I've gone from the point where I was spending 1 paycheck a month on alcohol, to just the weekends, to just Friday, to today, where it was one of those days where you just have a drink or 2 to unwind after work, and I've had 4 and I would bareknuckle box Mike Tyson for drink number 5.

As someone who is presently sweating out the tail end of narcotics, I strongly endorse constant aggression as a healthy way to deal with the situation. I would like to add that the world is boring and easy and I have no idea how normal people live like this.

But give yourself a break man - It's ok to just not do something. If I told people I was still going to take a little morphine from time to time just to show it who was boss, they'd say I was fucking crazy.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As someone who is presently sweating out the tail end of narcotics, I strongly endorse constant aggression as a healthy way to deal with the situation. I would like to add that the world is boring and easy and I have no idea how normal people live like this.

But give yourself a break man - It's ok to just not do something. If I told people I was still going to take a little morphine from time to time just to show it who was boss, they'd say I was fucking crazy.
As someone going through his own version of withdrawals, physical activity is a great edge-taker-offer. My particular poison is long-distance shit. Mostly bicycle, but walking and jogging too. Anything that gets the blood pumping works though. If I wear myself out to the point I'm too exhausted to imagine diving into my particular itch, it makes it a little easier to face things.

But yeah, the world without the fog is a real fuckin' bitch sometimes. It's easy to see why so many of us opt for the addiction. What a shit-show reality without a filter is.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
As someone going through his own version of withdrawals, physical activity is a great edge-taker-offer. My particular poison is long-distance shit. Mostly bicycle, but walking and jogging too. Anything that gets the blood pumping works though. If I wear myself out to the point I'm too exhausted to imagine diving into my particular itch, it makes it a little easier to face things.

But yeah, the world without the fog is a real fuckin' bitch sometimes. It's easy to see why so many of us opt for the addiction. What a shit-show reality without a filter is.

Yeah man, working out is fucking essential, need to feel shattered by bedtime.

The fog is good man, but even doing the shitty end of junkie where you barely even get high and are just kinda scraping by... Well, it focuses the mind, you know? Gives you something to plan your day around.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
After watching several Brandon Ellis videos and listening to the two latest TBDM albums, part of me has whoop-whoop fever :lol:

With my plans to upgrade the Talman and have that be my B-standard backup, part of me is looking at my Jackson MT-1 and thinking "if it's already got a locking nut, why shouldn't I have full tremolo capability?" for my melodeath guitar, but then I think back to all the guitars I've had with them and think "No, you've been down this road before, get over it!"

Kaura

evanesencensencenenist
Reaction score

Been there and being there. To be honest, last time I went 24 hours without a drink was October.... 2020. I sure as hell would want to quit but I want to do it alone, no rehab, and that's pretty close to impossible. :(

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Been there and being there. To be honest, last time I went 24 hours without a drink was October.... 2020. I sure as hell would want to quit but I want to do it alone, no rehab, and that's pretty close to impossible. :(

It's not impossible man, it's fucking nasty, but it's not impossible. All you do is cut down a little bit at a time. That's all. That's a kinda long term project, and it is both stressful and boring (the worst combination) but fundamentally you just drink/use the smallest amount you can get away with each day. And eventually you arrive at a day when that is zero. Or close enough.

The rules that I have generally used are that you try to go as long as humanly possible until you do the "first of the day", but you don't sweat a little taste at night so you can sleep. You want to be sweating it out when you're awake, because then you can fight it. And then just go nuts doing anything that'll make you physically tired.

Kaura

evanesencensencenenist
Reaction score
It's not impossible man, it's fucking nasty, but it's not impossible. All you do is cut down a little bit at a time. That's all. That's a kinda long term project, and it is both stressful and boring (the worst combination) but fundamentally you just drink/use the smallest amount you can get away with each day. And eventually you arrive at a day when that is zero. Or close enough.

The rules that I have generally used are that you try to go as long as humanly possible until you do the "first of the day", but you don't sweat a little taste at night so you can sleep. You want to be sweating it out when you're awake, because then you can fight it. And then just go nuts doing anything that'll make you physically tired.

I know. It's weird because when I'm at work I don't think about drinking at all and have no problem pulling 16h shifts but as soon as I clock out the first and only thing in my mind is beer. There's plenty of days when I'm in high spirits when I leave work and think "today's the day" but when I'm driving home, something snaps in my head and I get super anxious about the thought of not drinking and before I know it, I'm sitting at home 3 beers down. Even though I stay sober at work, at this point I'm seriously worried I get fucking seizures if I go one night without drinking.

Reaction score
Took my septum ring up two sizes today. It was uncomfortable. Now my nose wants to run because of it but the ring is rather large and I don't want to mess with it. Time to stock up on Benadryl and allergy shit

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I know. It's weird because when I'm at work I don't think about drinking at all and have no problem pulling 16h shifts but as soon as I clock out the first and only thing in my mind is beer. There's plenty of days when I'm in high spirits when I leave work and think "today's the day" but when I'm driving home, something snaps in my head and I get super anxious about the thought of not drinking and before I know it, I'm sitting at home 3 beers down. Even though I stay sober at work, at this point I'm seriously worried I get fucking seizures if I go one night without drinking.

Ah I get you man.

I guess the approach is just to try to stick to one beer. Which I know has to be tough. I've never done the booze thing, I only do the dope thing, and while it's not exactly great for you it doesn't quite have the same "loosens your inhibitions" aspect. But in principle, that's where it needs to start. Kinda proving to yourself that you're going to be ok on a little bit. Not zero. Just one. Then just half one.

Or, you know, get into valium to chill out after work 🤣

No, don't do that. I'm reliably informed that benzos are the worst addiction to break. Although now I think of it, I was told that back before meth was a big deal, so maybe not so much anymore.

Kaura

evanesencensencenenist
Reaction score
Ah I get you man.

I guess the approach is just to try to stick to one beer. Which I know has to be tough. I've never done the booze thing, I only do the dope thing, and while it's not exactly great for you it doesn't quite have the same "loosens your inhibitions" aspect. But in principle, that's where it needs to start. Kinda proving to yourself that you're going to be ok on a little bit. Not zero. Just one. Then just half one.

Or, you know, get into valium to chill out after work 🤣

No, don't do that. I'm reliably informed that benzos are the worst addiction to break. Although now I think of it, I was told that back before meth was a big deal, so maybe not so much anymore.

Actually.... my plan B is to get some valium through my work healthcare because I know from experience that stuff works like a charm and there's like a 1% chance that I could actually get some if everything goes right because there's no chance in hell I get it from our glorious "free" healthcare since here in Finland all benzos are considered drugs of Satan (along weed) but we'll see how that goes... In the meantime, like you said I should start by trying to cut down on my daily beer dosage. Thanks for the advice anyway. Feels good to get this shit of my chest because there's literally no one irl that I can talk about this to.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Daughter’s BF works for a decently expensive furniture warehouse, couple times a year they have an employee appreciation sale, can bring a +1….wife just scored $5500 worth of furniture for $640.

FWP is I had to carry all of it in the house, daughter’s BF is like 6’1 and 145 lbs, not much help lol

Last edited: