The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
There was a used Parker Nitefly M with some obvious blemishes at the same Guitar Center I tried my new Jackson model at, and I think it might haunt me not grabbing it. I have two basses and an EC256 I planned on moving, and some extra funds, but I have no need for two guitars in the same tuning; it's just a stupidly good price and would be an investment for later when people are looking for one.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How many damn server outages does it take for heads to start rolling at the IT department?

Remote working would be so damn nice if sh!t just actually WORKED more often than not

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a $100 gift card to long & mcquade (canadian guitar center type thing)......and I can't find anything I want/need right now. It's buggin' me. ... I guess I'll just hang onto it for a while..

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
oh I already did last summer, and I still have lots of it left.

I suppose I could do a tubescreamer/OD type pedal so I don't have to keep swapping out my helix between my mt15 and jcm 2000 when I'm just noodlin'.

outside of that i guess just wait until i save up for one of my bigger purchases like a stupidly expensive pair of headphones, or another 5 string bass or 7 string... .I dunno yet.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Need a trim and absolutely can not, for the life of me, find my trimmer. WTF?

Guess another week of looking like a god damned sasquatch while I wait for a new one to arrive.

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score
I fucking hate serving sizes in the US. They're so arbitrary and asinine. E.g. 1/5 of a packet of crystal light peach iced tea is 5 kcal. Who the fuck uses 1/5 of a packet designed for 2 liters?! They could just as easily have said there's 25 kcal in a packet and saved me the inconvenience of doing basic math.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I fucking hate serving sizes in the US. They're so arbitrary and asinine. E.g. 1/5 of a packet of crystal light peach iced tea is 5 kcal. Who the fuck uses 1/5 of a packet designed for 2 liters?! They could just as easily have said there's 25 kcal in a packet and saved me the inconvenience of doing basic math.

That's done intentionally.

See, there are THRESHOLDS for certain things on labels.

For example, artificial sweetener packets that consist almost ENTIRELY of dextrose (a sugar) can say they contain ZERO calories and ZERO sugars if the serving size is set to <1 gram dextrose.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Tic-tacs serving size is 0.5 g, about 0.49 g of which is sugar, but they are advertised as zero sugar and zero calories, because the threshold for sugar on nutritional labels is 0.5 g. Also a tic-tac is about 2 calories (from the sugar), but the threshold for labeling calories rounds to the nearest 5 calories, so that's why they are advertised (in the USA) as zero calories. If you eat a package of tic-tacs, though, you are taking in about 30 g of sugar and about 120 calories.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I finally decided now's the time to get rid of my shitty 4G home internet and get fiber. The thing is that the previous owner of this house hadn't payed the starting fee which covers the digging of the cable etc. even though it's been there for like 10 years... The fiber modem's even there already, because they replaced all the landlines with those back in the day, but it's just not enabled on their side. So now I had to take a small loan to pay the 2000€. It's tax deductible though, so I'm getting half of it back next year. Anyway, now I'm getting a 250M/250M for just a tad more than the 4G costs, after it's been paid for ofc. And also cable TV - I haven't had TV reception at all in a long time because the cables for the rooftop antenna had deteriorated and I took the whole thing down in the summer. We watch everything through Android TV at the moment, and while it works really well, it's a bit too complicated for the kids to use.

The actual FWP has two parts to it:

First, I have to wait a day or maybe two until they configure their side so the connection comes on. I tested all my ethernet cables and found one that's long enough and CAT6, drilled a hole in the wall close to where the fiber modem sits so I can just plug it in immediately when it comes on... But turns out that's a super bad spot for the 4G modem to be sitting, so now I have to live with a 10-20M connection until the new fiber is enabled....

Second, when it gets enabled, I'm only getting 100/100 until their super busy technician comes and swaps out the modem for one that's capable of doing 10G, which is the max speed they're offering atm.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
More related to the previous post: the sales guy from the operator called and said unfortunately the old modem isn't gonna cut it (something has changed on their end, so it isn't compatible anymore), so I'm gonna have to wait until the technician installs the new modem before they can activate my new fiber connection. So now I have to wait a bit over two weeks for it :/

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
turns out that's a super bad spot for the 4G modem to be sitting, so now I have to live with a 10-20M connection until the new fiber is enabled...

Turns out I was wrong about this, yesterday was just a bad 4G day :lol: Today I'm getting roughly 50Mbps out of it again.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's tons of shows coming to Sioux Falls this year that I'd love to see if COVID didn't exist. Megadeth with Lamb of God and Trivium, Iron Maiden, a few others.

Then I get an email saying Jinjer's playing the District in March. God damn it. I'd kill to see that band but I'm not into the whole crowd thing while we're still dealing with a pandemic. Yes, I'm vaccinated and boosterized, but still. I'm not a wall hanger at shows. I'm a "cling to the rail or jump in the pit" kinda dude and I just can't see doing that right now.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
that moment when a recruiter hits you up for a job that you are so not ready for, but if you did it it would be a huge leap forward.

I don't see this going down at all, but I said I'd talk. lol

If i were looking at things on paper with my experience and the job requirements, I'd say that kind of jump in levels would be bananas. I mean I would not hire myself for that position. haha Not yet anyway.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
that moment when a recruiter hits you up for a job that you are so not ready for, but if you did it it would be a huge leap forward.

I don't see this going down at all, but I said I'd talk. lol

If i were looking at things on paper with my experience and the job requirements, I'd say that kind of jump in levels would be bananas. I mean I would not hire myself for that position. haha Not yet anyway.

Given what you do and the way you're speaking of this, makes it sound like a jump up from basic VFX production to something like Lead Look Dev or other large-scale lead position

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
oh, i already made that jump to lead to supervisor a few years back. But I was a department head for a while, and I just made the jump to show side mini-boss supervisor recently. (those are two completely different ball games), and then I got pulled onto a different show to get it out the door so I haven't even really done the mini-boss show side supervisor job for a full show yet haha. This recruiter was hitting me up for the big boss (vfx sup) position.

I'm thinking....uuuuuughhh.... That's crazy..... but I guess we can talk.

I've known people that have gone from lead or mini boss supervisor to the big boss vfx supervisor without doing the middle boss job, and very rarely do people last long doing that big of a jump. It's just a completely different ballgame. You're no longer problem solving on the box. You're dealing with clients and trying to just steer the ship as a whole, and a million other things.

If I had 5 more years of experience I'd say sure I could probably do it. Doing it now is kinda bananas though. Then again the industry is stretched ridiculously thin so if I didn't do it, they'd probably end up getting someone even less experienced.................... we'll see if they respond back. haha I told them i wasn't available until summer. We'll see how serious they are.