The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

One of those “meet at the end of a dirt road, cash only. no cops”?

2. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

If you don't know what an oompetehole is, I suggest you NOT google it.... :lol:

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

As I wrote some time ago, my current salary isn't exactly up to par. Well, lately I've been bombarded with job offers on LinkedIn and by email, and even received direct calls from headhunters, since apparently good mobile application developers are nowhere to be found. I haven't responded to those, apart from a few "sorry, no can do"'s to a few requiring me to move abroad.

Anyway, I got a pretty damned good offer the other day, where even just the additional benefits were almost good enough to switch jobs for, and the job description was almost like a copy of my CV... So I asked directly what the salary would be, and they obviously couldn't say exactly without meeting and all that, but it'd be at least double what I'm earning now. Plus the great added benefits.

So I've now scheduled a call for Friday to talk more about it... I'm stoked AF, but at the same time I'm very conflicted, as I wrote before. I feel like I'm betraying my friends who I founded this company with, but at the same time I know there's no way the company could afford to pay me the same salary I'd get in this new job, and even if they somehow could, I don't know if I could take the added pressure from it.
    So I'm kind of coming to terms with the fact that this is the right choice.

So the actual FWP is that soon I might have more money than I know how to handle :lol:

4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I don't know about other industries, but salaries for specific types of jobs in mine might see ~10% variance between companies. Some real fuckin' friends right there, paying you half of what your work is apparently worth.

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Are you literally a founder of the company? Or have any ownership? If not, I'd personally not feel bad about it. A business is not your friend, it's just a business. It exists for it's own sake, not for yours. Jump ship. No regrets.

I worked for a place for about 9 months right out of school, and as much as I was glad to have the job, it payed peanuts and was framed as this big generous offer to me that they'd "pay me to learn". In other words, I was a junior. That's how being a junior works. But when I moved on to another company, instead of being happy for me to find a place in the industry I had been actually aiming to get into, they acted like it was some huge betrayal. They made me feel guilty for advancing my career because they wouldn't directly benefit. That's not "friend" behaviour.

6. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I think I said it earlier in this thread, but if it’s not your company...it’s not your company.

All the best for your discussions on Friday, I hope you get a deal that makes you 100% sure of where you should be working :)

7. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I've seen the same behavior in a number of other places I've worked. There's some mental gymnastics among the management where they literally think of people in the company as "family" and anybody moving on is betraying the "family." Motherfuckers, we share carpet and cube space for nine hours a day and barely god damned know each other outside of the little exchanges we have about work. Go eat a dick and let your "family" do what they need to better themselves. And fuck you for the guilt trip.

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

^ Yup, and it's also about the fact that the company was bought by a bigger company, and since the bigger company has employees from across many industries, the management has a hard time understanding why a software engineer is supposed to earn more than someone else. I also wasn't the best worker back in the day since I was going through some depression I couldn't admit even to myself, so there's also that burden hanging over me.

Regarding ownership and founding, I am a founder but don't own anything anymore, because the Finnish government doesn't allow you to own a company and get unemployment aid, so I had to sell it all, back when it wasn't going too well since we couldn't afford to pay proper salaries at all at the time.

Regardless, the point still stands and let's hope Friday goes well. If it doesn't, then whatever, like I said jobs are basically raining on me these days so it's not like I won't find something else. I also haven't quit my current job yet so at the very least the status quo remains.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

We went through something like this too a while back. We were bought by a group that does a whole lot of things (or owns a lot of companies, I should say), but as I understand it the largest chunk of the companies they own does QA (which is not what I do). We suddenly learned a whole lot about how video game QA works and aside from the part that you get to know about games before they come out, there's a shocking amount in common with those jobs compared to run-of-the-mill shitty call center jobs. There's about the same level of trust.... and about the same level of pay. It's an incredibly important role but treated sometimes like it's disposable work - and it's that catch 22 of "I'm not going to do better if you're not paying me enough to care" vs "it's not worth it for us to pay more for a revolving door of entry level workers".

10. nightflameauto

I'm about done with companies assuming that when you buy a product from them you want dozens of emails about their company cult. I bought Lifeboost coffee and started getting at least one emails, sometimes two, every single day with "affirmations and inspiring stories." I buy a couple supplements from GNC and got signed up to literally five different email lists focused on "men's awareness," all of which give me massive heebee jeebees from the creep factor. I ordered some water yesterday from a place that's known to make good, high quality mineral supplemented water. Six emails within thirty seconds after pressing "Place Order," and five more emails in the 24 hours since I placed the order. This shit is fucking madness. And as far as I can see there's no "unsubscribe" shit anywhere on these sites or in the emails themselves.

Fuck you guys and your company cults. Send the product I ordered and shut the fuck up.

LordIronSpatula and Edika like this.
  11. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

@p0ke Dude, at the end of the day, double the money is double the money. If it brings you financial freedom to live properly, you gotta look after yourself first. Even if it does mean possibly putting a few cracks in some friendships.

Most of all, make sure your salary and conditions (on-going or short-term employment, especially) are in writing BEFORE you sign any contract.

Good luck with making the decision and remember that no matter which one you choose, there will be both positives and negatives no matter which way you go.

p0ke likes this.
  12. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

That's the opposite of one of the things that led to my career change. After we got fucked by Covid and had to sell out to a corporate, they made a huge deal about how the main part of the negotiation was we got payed the same, and I got paid the same as some of corporate management, but unlike them, I made that much for a damn reason. One of the main reasons I got fired was I would tell them what they were doing was a mistake, and they would get pissed because what do I know, and then I was right, and they got more pissed.

13. nightflameauto

One of the worst parts of being in a decent sized company is having to learn how to convince management that the right thing to do is somehow their idea, even when you have to be the one to plant the seeds to even get them started in the right direction. That's an art to it, and I've learned that art. It's one of the reasons I feel like beating myself to death some nights, but it keeps me employed and keeps the business moving forward, so what the hell?

"Great idea boss" that I worked for six weeks to plant in your shining noggin'. That's the type of thing that gives you heartburn, but we do what we got to do.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  14. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Hahaha... I'm not sure if this is better or worse than the situation where a competent employee is constantly bringing up a possible improvement to a system, solution to a problem, or potential pitfall of policy change but is outright ignored. Then management brings in an expensive outside consultant who says exactly the same thing the employee has been talking about for months, and management responds as though it's a huge new insight they've never heard before and immediately implements it. :lol:

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

One of my favourites is when there's an obvious security flaw but it's considered low priority until someone outside the company inevitably finds it (aka attacks it) and suddenly it's top priority.

Edika likes this.
  16. nightflameauto

Preach, brother. As an IT dude, this is a constant struggle.
    "NO! Do not waste time on that known security bug. We have feature requests that will affect .001% of our userbase. Concentrate on that."

:facepalm:

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  17. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I sent my alto sax into the shop for an overhaul, played a lesson on the school's saxophone, best one I've ever had and the best I've ever sounded, and now I just spent 4 grand on a new sax. The school's alto is a 1954 Selmer Mark VI, which is the saxophone equivalent of a '59 LP. It's worth at least 10k.

So now I really gotta sell. Watch out next Thursday for the sax NGD thread, idk where I'm posting it but yall can finally see the instrument I play professionally lmaoooo

Edika and StevenC like this.
  18. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

oooooh it looks like the Aurora Borealis might be visible in a large part of Europe and North America. There's a G3 level geomagnetic storm comin'.

/me checks weather.
    ...It's going to be super cloudy and rainy all weekend.
    ...*sigh

welp... nothin' to see here.

Edika and BlackMastodon like this.
  19. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 spec queen simp Contributor

Nvidia GeForce Experience software...hey if you are going to update the graphics driver every 4 hours and your driver download update/install function doesn't work on your own software, get.the.fuck.off.my.machine.

20. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

Remove with DDU and then use NVCleanstall to get only useful parts of the drivers.

Seabeast2000 likes this.