The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't even imagine a situation in which I'd be gambling with that sort of money.

Most I've ever gambled in one go was something like $5 on a scratch-off lottery ticket.

Anyway, I just ordered out for lunch. Delicious veggie burger with spicy fries. They gave me extra fries compared to what they usually do, but now I'm too full to finish them and I know the fries aren't that good reheated (and who eats cold fries?).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
reheat them in the oven. Put it on like 375 for 10-15 min. They'll be crispy goodness again vs a microwave that makes them all mushy and gross

While I do agree with you on oven reheat, for anyone who needs to hear it - if you're re-heating fries in a microwave out of necessity: damp paper tower, long enough to wrap on both bottom and top of the fries. Then cook for maybe 30-40 seconds, and then go to town. I used to do a similar trick on steak & cheese subs, where put some fresh cheese in it, then wrap it in a damp paper towel + heat for 1-1:30 mins and finish re-heating in the toaster oven for 5 mins or so.

The paper towel moisture gives enough give back to the break that when you put it in the toaster oven to cook throughout and not making it chewy, that the bread doesn't complete crisp up and gets back to normal texture.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
reheat them in the oven. Put it on like 375 for 10-15 min. They'll be crispy goodness again vs a microwave that makes them all mushy and gross
My wife tells me my oven has a few hot spots. Maybe that's why my reheated fries always come out with rockhard corners on them. And, with spicy fries, in particular, they seem to lose their spiciness somehow in the process. If you eat one cold out of the fridge before reheating, you can still taste it, but its cold and clammy texture takes the enjoyment out of it. Reheat them and the flavour is gone. Maybe if I microwave them and bake them in the oven in a sort of two-step process? Or, they're just half a $3 order of fries, so why bother? :)

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
testing my new zoom q2n4k. My dumbass didn't turn up the input volume so my first test clips didn't have sound. The next clip did too good of a job of picking up the sound, since I could hear my nose whistling between riffs :lol:

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cannabis is legal here and I work at a pot farm now so this feels very first-world-problem-y.

I'm trying to take a tolerance break from cannabis but my usage is, well, chronic, so it's easy to forget that I'm not just getting stoned and I also use it because it helps my appetite, joint pain and insomnia.

So here I am, staring at a bowl of soup I've taken three bites of, thinking about whether I'll be able to get to sleep tonight. At least I've got NSAIDs for the pain and swelling.

Eventually I'd like to have a healthier usage routine that doesn't ramp my tolerance up to insane heights every 6 months and see me chain smoking joints, but I'm still sober from alcohol and tobacco and this is the vastly preferable alternative.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
Finding Kewpie mayo in the midwest is a fucking nightmare. My favorite asian markets don't even have that shit right now*boooooooooo hisssss***
Yeah I can make my own mayo from scratch, and Hellmans is a pretty decent stand in, but dammit I want kewpie without getting hosed on amazon.

also mayo >>>>> butter for grilled cheese/paninis and i will fight anyone that says otherwise

Wucan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some guy here is selling a JP6. He has it bumped on Reverb for 2400 CAD, and he also has a Facebook listing. He's open to offers. I offer him 1800 to start, he reads it, no response. Then he drops the price on Reverb down to 2200, meaning he'd keep only 2000 if he sells there. Still, he appears to not care to even counter my offer that's already 90% of the way there anyways. At this point, I'd rather wait for someone who's actually interested in making a sale.

I don't get some people - why go through the trouble of maintaining multiple listings and entertaining offers if you aren't going to say shit lmao

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score
Went to try out some guitars in a shop for the first time since covid started, low key prepared to walk out with one. The problem is that the first one I tried was pretty cool but didn't really give me that wow-moment when I picked it up. Also, it was a bit pricey for my current budget + jumbo frets, yuck.

The second was way cheaper and I was surprised by how solid the fretwork was but the lack of coil-splitting (HH-config) turned me off.

LordIronSpatula

A series of interconnected fortune cookies.
Reaction score
The second was way cheaper and I was surprised by how solid the fretwork was but the lack of coil-splitting (HH-config) turned me off.

Changing a pot to push-pull for coil split isn’t particularly hard or expensive, and is also reversible…

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks to massive corporations getting to change the meaning of words when it benefits their bottom line in the US, we have multiple unlimited plans available to us, at multiple price points. And whoa be to he who dares cross the limit on your unlimited plan. Holy crap do they charge a bucket load for overages. Overages on an unlimited plan? Yup. It happens.

Don't pay plans. Use pay as you go, something like Walmart's Tmob MVNO.

Same crap, less money, can't end up owing them anything, and even has decent "bonuses" like hotspot that often get prohibited in big name plans unless you pay extra

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So just like everybody else, I'm subbed to a couple streaming services.

We were going to celebrate the start of October and watch The Great Pumpkin with the kids...need another subscription..maybe Nightmare Before Christmas....nope, need Disney+....do the dad thing and traumatize them with a good horror movie....nope, got to rent that motherfucker.

Why are we paying for any of this shit???
tumblr_oq65otCCfN1w1s8lso1_400.gif

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
got a job and shit, but it has happens to be at a place of medicine so they've got me running around doing blood work to check for vaccines and scheduling appointments with notaries and background checks. gotta go across state to get my birth certificate for a job where i'm going to be scrubbing ovens ffs. the only bearable thing about working in a kitchen is that no one gives a shit and half the cooks are smoking pot on break. stay in school kids, don't end up like be me.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So just like everybody else, I'm subbed to a couple streaming services.

We were going to celebrate the start of October and watch The Great Pumpkin with the kids...need another subscription..maybe Nightmare Before Christmas....nope, need Disney+....do the dad thing and traumatize them with a good horror movie....nope, got to rent that motherfucker.

Why are we paying for any of this shit???
The cable model lives on in the digital age. There have been articles for years about how pretty soon we'll be bundling streaming services together just like they bundle cable packages.

It's fucking lame, especially when some services like Hulu still have commercials. I pay for a streaming service so I never have to hear another commercial jingle again, fuck off with that shit.

Ranting aside, have you looked into IPTV? I had a subscription for an android box last year for about $15 CAD a month and it was solid, my internet just wasn't great and couldn't keep up.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
The cable model lives on in the digital age. There have been articles for years about how pretty soon we'll be bundling streaming services together just like they bundle cable packages.

It's fucking lame, especially when some services like Hulu still have commercials. I pay for a streaming service so I never have to hear another commercial jingle again, fuck off with that shit.

Ranting aside, have you looked into IPTV? I had a subscription for an android box last year for about $15 CAD a month and it was solid, my internet just wasn't great and couldn't keep up.
oh it's already happening.. Hulu is bundled with espn and disney plus, showtime is bundled with paramount plus, Bbc one is bundled with amc. Hulu putting ads on shit while still charging money has alway irritated the shit out of me, because I remember when they were purely doing that to augment free streaming.

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score
got a job and shit, but it has happens to be at a place of medicine so they've got me running around doing blood work to check for vaccines and scheduling appointments with notaries and background checks. gotta go across state to get my birth certificate for a job where i'm going to be scrubbing ovens ffs. the only bearable thing about working in a kitchen is that no one gives a shit and half the cooks are smoking pot on break. stay in school kids, don't end up like be me.

Wait, what? You're working in a hospital or a restaurant? Sounds like you got some passive pot smoking. :lol: