The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

I hadn't had any major issues come up with it saying it might be dying, so that's why I wasn't thinking about it. Typically there's a light or some hiccups, a little waning here and there, but this was just next day DEAD.

New England is also no guarantee for battery life given our temp flux, and with having my car for now 4 years and not knowing when the previous owner replaced it? It was the perfect storm.

bostjan likes this.
  2. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

My damn Impala kills batteries in about two years, or a little less. Granted, we've had crazy stupid weather the past few years, but that still seems quick. The mechanic I use tests the battery every time it goes in and he starts warning me it needs replaced about about the 18 month mark. I usually have him swap in a new one right before we get our first cold weather. I replaced it once and never. A. Gain. Fuck that noise. You have to essentially tear apart the engine compartment, then remove a support beam from the side of the hood, undo a nut on the top and pray to fucking god you don't accidentally smack the long bolt that holds it or you're on the ground for six hours trying to find the tiny little hole to push it back up. If I had all the time in the world, whatever, but life's busy.

I always keep a plug in battery charger and a set of jumper cables in the trunk because you just never know when it's gonna decide to nope out on you.

3. MFB

MFB Banned

Big oof my dude, that sucks. Since this is the first time seeing it on my "new" car, I hadn't realized it was half underneath where the wiper components are, so you have to take those off which is way more trouble than I'm willing to go through; so instead, every 3-4 years or so, I'll just bring it to the shop for the quick change and be done with it for the cost.

I'm also planning on grabbing one of the battery jumpers just for myself since they're like $100 which is nothing

4. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

The immutable rule for me has been 3 desert AZ summers is all I'll get out of a battery. I might get 3.75 years out of a car battery if its timed right, but never more than 3 summers here.

5. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Sent a message today saying "Happy Friday!" to my team's group chat

.....it's Thursday............ (-‸ლ)

My reputation for always being on top of things is ruined.

Nlelith, Edika, Bodes and 2 others like this.
  6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

My car had been crying wolf about the battery for several years when it went dead. It didn't do it constantly or anything, and when it finally went dead it was like 6 months after the previous warning. Even after push starting, stopping and starting again it didn't show a warning about it...
    The battery seemed original, so it would've been in there almost 10 years by then.
    I swapped it myself, took roughly an hour because in the Focus MK3, they've decided to house it in a plastic box that splits into four parts. The most difficult part was assembling that box again, took more than half of the time :lol:

7. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Haha. For some reason your avatar makes that post much funnier. :lol:

Bodes and thebeesknees22 like this.
  8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I had a Chevy HHR. The battery was inside of the rear bumper and needed to be replaced 2x/yr. I'm sure there was some sort of short somewhere, but the wiring in the car was a total cluster. You'd have thought that the person designing it was getting paid by the linear foot or something. Why can't they just put the battery under the hood near the fusebox?

9. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

that was definitely a wakko move. lol

Bodes likes this.
  10. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

My dad rebuilds cars as a hobby. He's had two where he chopped them down so much the only place left for the battery aside from the trunk was under the rear fender. Which was a treat because he kept a manual switch on them he'd disconnect any time they were going to sit for more than a day or so. Real fun rolling around on the ground trying to reach your arm up under there and find the switch before you found the terminals.

11. MFB

MFB Banned

Car is now thankfully fixed, so I'll be picking it up tonight and can get out of my house. I need toilet paper damn it!

I also am desperate for human contact since I did two weeks of quarantine, then saw people for like, 2 days and was back out of office from this BS; so it's like three weeks worth of nothing when I had been going in every day for some months now.

Bodes and bostjan like this.
  12. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Are you living in one of those weird suburbs where it's just miles after miles of detached houses? I live 200ft from the nearest shop that carries toilet paper.

13. Seabeast2000

Want some paul gilbert guitar instructional. No longer have a DVD player....

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Similar story to me, so I bought myself a computer blue ray player and rip DVDs/Blue Rays I want to a portable hard drive and have the frequently watched on a USB thumb drive. Now all my DVDs are in a big box in the garage.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  15. MFB

MFB Banned

No, but the nearest store that would carry it is about a mile in either direction, and with my current workload just taking that much time to walk there and back would be too much. But now I've got the car again, so problem solved.

16. Seabeast2000

Oh what the heck, of course I have a DVD drive. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't ripped anything in like 10 years.....but I will do this.

Bodes likes this.
  17. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Made a kickass dinner at the cost of literally my whole day, didn't practice a shit ton today but got some good playing in and some excellent guitar time. I've got 3 guitars that are the actual SHIT and I realize whenever I pick one up that they're staying, all 3 are perfect.

But that's the thing. Now that I've tasted perfection and contentendness with my collection I just wanna keep doing more mod projects until I have all the shapes and tunings I want.

fuck

18. Seabeast2000

BTW, what do you rip with? Hard to avoid fuckware/bloatware these days.

19. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I just use windows media player to rip CD's. I've tried a few other ones but it was such a bitch to find a decent one and they all felt bloatware-y.

20. Seabeast2000

Oh yeah, Media Player works great for audio. Not sure if they do DVD's though, will find out soon enough.