The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Oh the wonderful world of pre-Youtube guitar instruction videos.

2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I moved my mesh ap:s around and put the 4G modem on the attic, increasing download from ~40 to 65mbps and upload from less than 10 to around 50mbps.

But! I did things in the wrong order, so I ended up having to configure everything from scratch. I should have changed the main ap to the one upstairs before doing anything else, but instead I moved everything first and then changed the setting, which resulted in two separate mesh networks with the same name :wallbash:

So thanks to that, I decided to improve security while I was at it, and thus had to pair all my smart lights and other IOT devices again... The biggest pain was pairing my printer - it's done through the Canon app, and it dismisses all dialogs when whatever happens... But I did somehow manage to get it done in the end.

Silver lining is that now pretty much everything works better than before and the modem etc are completely out of sight.

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Truth be told most country roads in Ireland and the UK are really narrow. Most of the times two cars fit barely. The roads, depending on what kind of foreplanning the cities have done, are usually not super wide. Not that you can't fit bigger cars but it's not lane's upon lanes of road. Cities and city centers are quite cramped in terms of space roads and parking spaces (trying to fit as many cars in parking lots as possible).

In most countries here cars are taxed by engine size. Not so much in the UK as it's emissions they tax and age of car, but in my home country it would be level by engine size. There would be different categories that would have brackets for cc of engine. Plus fuel was (not sure if it still is) more expensive than the US. So out of necessity most people would have smaller cars ot with smaller engines that would be more fuel efficient.

Again I'm not again big vehicles. I would not mind a bigger car than what I have at the moment, in terms of size not necessarily hp or engine size, but I do get stressed about parking it in the city, the super market or even on the street I currently live. It's just not practical.

4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I order a package, but I have no concierge in my building. I'm also not allowed to put my phone number in the buzzer since I have a # from another province. So I order something> they try to deliver> give up > I have to reroute to pick it up somewhere since they won't call/message me directly without it being in the buzzer......... .... rinse/repeat. The torment continues.

I could just change my phone number, but I like my # so I don't want to. lol

5. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Because of long distance charges or something?

6. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

yeah I assume that's why. But you'd think in 2021 everything would just have national plans that would be long distance. (it could just be wanting to force assimilation too. lol)

7. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Same. Buddy has an ESP King V or whatever the DV8 became after Mave left and I always thought it was the coolest looking V.

Met up with him last weekend and got to play it thru a bunch of stuff for an hour or so. Thing sounded/played great but not better than my Vipers or his Eclipses, and it was a pretty fuckin huge heavy guitar.

Nope, obsession over, $2k or whatever saved.

8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Canada has absolutely dogshit cell plans. I think they've started getting a bit cheaper in recent years but I remember 4 or 5 years ago you couldn't get a plan with 1 GB of data for less than $80/month. The monopoly our major carriers had was insane.

At least they do all include Canada-wide calling and texting.

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Seriously? :ugh: I'm paying 24€/month for unlimited calls, texts and 150M internet... And the price has been the same since 2008, the speed just increased when 4G was introduced.

10. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

The EU's mobile plans have been putting ours to shame for as long as I've been hearing about them.

11. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

"Do you have free wi-fi??" Is something I've never had to ask since the mobile connection is more than adequate even in the middle of a forest and the best part is that it's unlimited. :D

12. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Thanks to massive corporations getting to change the meaning of words when it benefits their bottom line in the US, we have multiple unlimited plans available to us, at multiple price points. And whoa be to he who dares cross the limit on your unlimited plan. Holy crap do they charge a bucket load for overages. Overages on an unlimited plan? Yup. It happens.

I play music likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

yeah I'll just hunt down an anchang star now.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

I have to buy new Mastodon and PTH shirts because I've been bulking and can't fit into my old ones

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yup... Also basically all mobile data plans here include a certain amount of "EU roaming data", so even when you travel within the EU you can still use the internet for free... I have 15gb of that, so unless I go on a super long vacation I don't have to worry about it running out.

16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Today's FWP: The postal system has changed such that all packages from outside the EU have to go through customs, you have to declare them and pay an extra shipping fee. I don't mind the fee, but the customs declaration is a bitch to do. I mean, it'd be fine on a computer, but since I mostly handle all such things on my phone, it's basically impossible. I have to check details in the eBay app, sign in using my bank app, and then input the details into a browser. Apparently the 4gb RAM on my phone isn't enough to have those three things open simultaneously, because every time I have to do something outside the browser and return to it, it's been killed by the system and I have to start over :wallbash:

17. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

I have pedals still new in boxes. I have a big temple board that is just loose pedals sliding around. I have the Temple mounting brackets and two ISO bricks. Last night I removed the Boss MD and DD 200's to update the firmware because why am I living with 5 presets? This is my phase gate, those Boss pedals will not be slopped back onto that Temple board. Its going to be proper by tonight with several other new-to-me pedals I haven't used or need to re-use. Dammit. I'll get it all done then do something like buy an FM9 in 6 months. :lol:

18. MFB

MFB Banned

Woke up Friday morning to a dead battery, great way to start the long weekend.

Got it jumped on Saturday, but opted to keep my car for Sunday/Monday to be safe so I could grab the battery myself and then drop it off yesterday to be fixed today; tried it the next day, back to absolute dead, so I make the call and got it jumped AGAIN - this time for $75 since the first time they tried it just to see before they towed it.

Car was down there today, they managed to swap the battery and it's running fine, but they let me know that one of the engine mounts is broken so the engine is rattling. So they give me the quote, and I just say fuck it, go ahead and fix it if you've already got the thing.

So now I'm waiting another day for my car, and I'm still out of toilet paper as of yesterday morning BEFORE I dropped it off

19. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Today i made 2 discovery on my new car. I don't have a rear glass wiper and the CD player don't have a pause button...

20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Car batteries die surprisingly quickly. Mine did the same last summer, out of the blue. Me and my wife are quite experienced in push starting cars (her old Fiat didn't have the switching 12V line for the stereo, so it was connected such that it's always on... So that drained the battery sometimes when we forgot to turn it off) so we just did that and off she went, worked nicely all day, multiple stops and starts etc, no problem. But next morning it was flat again, so we pushed it once more and then I went and bought a new battery.

That's one the benefits of a manual gearbox though... Can't push start an automatic because you don't have a clutch. And also you need another person to either push the car or to release the clutch once it's up to speed. Best bet would be to just buy one of those battery powered starter helper things either way, tbh.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021