The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Seems to be a worldwide thing too, cars are getting bigger all the time... I get older people driving SUV's, since they're easier to get in and out of and all that... But I have a hard time fathoming why any younger person living in a city would get one as a family car, let alone for personal transportation. I mean, if you've got an actual reason for driving one, then fine, but otherwise why not get a smaller car that's more convenient in many ways?

Another thing that keeps getting bigger are phones, and it's goddamned annoying TBH. My previous phone had a 5.65" display and I thought that was just about maximum size. I could still reach everything one handed etc with that one... But then the 32gb storage started to run out (since apps are also getting bigger, another FWP :lol: ) and now my current phone has a 6.5" display... And I just can't reach all things one handed anymore. It's fine when you're sitting at home with it, but on the go it sucks. I'd rather get a smaller phone (5" is ideal IMO) and then use a tablet at home if I want a bigger screen...

There really aren't any ~5" phones with proper specs, apart from iPhones (SE is 4.7" and 12 Mini around 5.5") which I just don't want because of iOS... Google Pixel 4a seems like the best bet but even that's closer to 6".

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Yeah these are all all 20-30 something yr old moms driving these SUV's. I mean, I get that it's easy to load a buncha rug rats into an SUV but holy shit.. they can't park em for shit and sure as hell don't seem to drive responsibly. Here where I live it's motivated I'm sure by status. There's smaller and more economical choices. And why a 4x4 package with 22-24" wheels and rubber bands? Gotta keep up with FB friends I guess. BTW... meant to say 4runners not Camry's but whatever... Toyota's are just everywhere around here along with mammoth Suburbans and the others i mentioned. Just seems that common sense would dictate to buy used, buy more efficient, buy cheaper trim/ package options. I dunno.

Edika likes this.
  3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yup, doesn't make sense. SUV is a weird concept in itself though, since they're basically off-road vehicles without the off-road features... I recall Top Gear testing some SUV's in off-road conditions back when Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May were hosting it - basically all the cars except the Range Rover they tested got stuck immediately :lol:

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire until Vanhalen bruthher

SUVs for most people are just a more stylish minivan. The worst people are the ones that buy Ford Raptors or King Ranches and don't use them to tow shit. It's like buying a lamborghini and only ever driving the speed limit.

5. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

I drive a 2020 Rav-4. Wife wanted a taller car for ease of getting baby in and out of, got the Rav-4. Then the day care our son is enrolled into I drive past to and from work and wife goes other direction, so I inherited the Rav-4 so she could go back to driving a little car again.
    Not a bad car. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but... oh well.
    I do sometimes miss the turning circle and ease of parking. Although I am fairly good at parking the Rav-4 now. 360° cameras certainly help in certain situations.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They buy these $50k+ rolling yachts because the salespeople throw down a low enough monthly payment while downplaying the 96 month term. Americans are shitty at math, and as long as the monthly payment is low enough, they'll buy anything if they think it's the biggest bestest thing to impress whoever. We're a stone's throw away from seeing triple digit month loan terms for cars.

Then you see the folks who go for the long terms roll negative equity into another barge in 60 months when their current car is starting to show it's age due to poor maintenance habits.

7. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

8. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

as a jeep owner, I understand. Wrangler Sahara Winter edition 2017 - rhino grey. ...it was a dumb expensive purchase. But I love it. I feel no shame. Mine isn't pristine though. Not because I've taken it offroad, but because I haven't washed it since March.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  9. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Not really. If you have a truck and you have gear in the bed and it rains, your shit gets wet. And with an SUV you don't always have to get out to get something from the back.

10. MaxOfMetal

That's what a wagon or a van is for. An SUV is just a bigger, less capable, less efficient version of those for typically more money.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned SUVs, I get it. But I'd be lying if I said it was the best choice for anything.

11. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

My Jeep is ugly and usually covered in mud/ dirt so I'm different from these people I guess. I'm not wealthy nor hip enough to care about vanity.

thebeesknees22 and BlackMastodon like this.
  12. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I think SUVs are just the most convenient middle ground for the average customer, which led to their popularity, which led to how expensive they are, which led to them being the bread and butter of majors OEM's and their phasing out of sedans and compact cars.
    SUVs combine comfort, convenience, and safety and that's enough for the average person.

I do get a laugh out of people who buy a fully loaded $70k+ pickup truck and never use the bed.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I guess appropriately for this thread, I feel like my life got a lot better when I stopped chasing "the best" of everything. I bought an SUV because I tried a bunch of things, and it was the option that was in my budget that I enjoyed driving and checked enough boxes. Good enough. Sometimes only the best is good enough, but not most of the time.

14. MaxOfMetal

That should always be the first and last thing when you buy the second most expensive and/or one of the most important things in your life.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In some fairness, the way some people buy guitars and the way some people buy cars, they might not be the second most expensive thing you buy. :lol:
    I've certainly bought cars for less than I've spent on instruments before.

LordIronSpatula and Bodes like this.
  16. MFB

MFB Banned

I just realized while at work, my current surge protector is maxed out for outlets, so my new amp is going to force me to move my musical tools will get their own dedicated one :lol: Two JOYO amps, + my Ampeg + Orange Micro Dark and some free outlets to work with.

I'm probably also going to splurge for the corner extension for my desk just to move it all off to the side, so it stops towering up in front of my monitors.

17. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Does putting groceries and pool supplies in the back count?

18. KnightBrolaire

I want a pointy V but none of the ones I try are as comfy/fun to play as the guitars I already own, especially my star/x shapes. I may have to give up on the current V obsession.

19. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I ran into the same problem. I really wanted one for a long time and after I finally tried one it was so awkward feeling I just noped out of that want real quick. :/

20. KnightBrolaire

I mean I could make a jackson Rhoads or an ESP alexi/arrow work, but the really ironic part is that the Gibson joe bonamassa korina V I tried was both the least pointy, and was the comfiest. The epi prophecy v I tried was also comfy but I've had bad luck with epiphones, so it's not even in the running.

Fuck it, I might just do another star build instead of wasting money on a V