The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

I've read some of his short stories and they were ok. Nothing special tbh. I really enjoyed the GoT books up to Dance of Dragons (which was overly bloated with filler).
    Don't bother with Nightflyers. It's awful. I love scifi horror but it's reaaaaalllly bad. Like pulling teeth bad. Not even the fun kind of bad like Leprechaun in Space or Jason X either.

2. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

If you can find one that will let you expand storage via SD card etc, that should help you future proof it. Yet I suspect even then there will come a point when the apps become too resource-intensive for older smart TVs to run smoothly.
    I will probably go this way eventually. Seems easier to occasionally upgrade a small device than the whole TV.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  3. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I enjoyed his story about the mass brain thing that kept pulling people in and also the one about the large underground worms. Those have stuck with me. Though there was some russian sky living thing that couldn't keep my interest long enough to finish, so he's kinda hit or miss.
    That sucks, but doesn't shock me. That show was stuck in pre-production hell for years. It's rare for any show to come out of that type of thing with anything resembling quality by the time the producers get done gnawing out anything resembling creativity over that length of time.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

the issue isn't production, it's more that every character is a complete idiot and none of their choices make any sense. Which would be fine if they did it right, I really enjoy the whole "people going crazy in a confined space schtick" but it only works if there's a good slow burn devolution into madness eg The Descent, Sunshine, Event Horizon.

5. nightflameauto

I love all three of those movies.

Was that a Netflix product? They have a terrible time with originals. 99.99% of them are absolute dumpster fire level garbage.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

Ahh a man of culture

nah it was a SyFy production. It's worse because they were doing so well with the Expanse and some other stuff, then shit the bed with Nightflyers.

Actually if you want a good hard scifi movie, stowaway on netflix is pretty good.

7. nightflameauto

I'll have to file that name away. Wife isn't a sci-fi fan and she never leaves home without me so I rarely get to pull sci-fis these days.

8. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

My wife (and her whole family) loved it, to the point where they had a discussion of who would be who off the show. For anyone curious, apparently I'm
    [​IMG]

Which I'm fine with because
    [​IMG]

But I've seen like half of the first season, and random episodes here and there, and it seems like 90% of the cast is hateable.
    Sean Bean, well you know he's going to die
    Jamie Lannister was a cunt but apparently he's not so bad later on
    Jamie's Sister, Jeffery (or whatever his name is), Boobs Mackenzie's brother (the blonde ones), they're just a lot of cunts. John Snow and a bunch of them just seemed like dumbasses, ect.

The midget, I like him because I also drink and know things, the chick that stabbed the ice dude at the end of it, she seemed cool, and I like the Hound and the dude that looks kinda like Brent Hinds. I'm totally down for a spin off buddy cop type show of the hound and discount B. Hinds.

Maybe it's because from the little I've seen and how much I hate some of the characters, I didn't think the last season was that bad since it was characters I didn't like getting torched by a dragon. Like the episode where Boobs Mackenzie's brother gets the pot of melted gold poured on him, or when Jeff the cunt got poisoned.

Is it still worth watching with so many characters I don't like?

9. nightflameauto

Here's the conundrum:
    If you start at the beginning, you will find characters you at least appreciate a bit, even if they aren't really likable. But, then you're stuck with that ending where all these characters that started out somewhat relatable turn into fucking idiotic stereotype pieces of shit and bumble their way into disaster.

Or you could spare yourself the misery and not watch it.

Those final few episodes really shit down the back of the first couple seasons. Hard. And it makes you hate yourself for wasting the time on it.

10. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

I think Mastodon actually appeared in an episode. FYI.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

yup. Brent and Bill were Wildling extras in two episodes iirc

BlackMastodon likes this.
  12. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I go to the grocery store this morning. All is well. I get cookies and ice cream for my vacation splurge. Mmmm Mmm!

On the way back, the normal street I take is blocked. ...then the next....and the next....and the next. I circle around for a mile radius. All roads leading back home are blocked by cops and construction. /anger sets in.

I finally circle back to an empty street after about an hour of trying to make my way back home and blow past 4 barriers and go the wrong way down 2 streets before I could make it back to my parking garage.

Current construction map for reference. (it doesn't show all the roads that are closed.)

I have a doctor's appointment I have to go to in a bit too so this will be fun getting to and from it. ...I think I'll just uber it.

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.44.12 AM.png

13. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

buying a car in 2021 be like:
    [​IMG]
    16000$ for a civic. And the rest is just as stupid.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I mean 123k km on a '97 is impressive. My 2011 GTI has 210k km.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Man, the "include some cool little freebies in overpriced official band merch order" is a lost art. I've been on something of a merch binge the last few months, trying to go through the most ideal channels for the bands, outside of going to shows, and man...not even a fucking sticker in most cases. Back in the "before times" you'd get some stickers, a patch, maybe even a flexi/sampler, but now...nada.

I just bought a $9 hoodie for $50, give me a couple .25¢ stickers to placate me, dammit.

Shout out to Pirate's Press, motherfuckers threw in a whole smattering of bullshit (stickers, flexis, etc.) on what was a fairly cheap order.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

I can't decide if i want to swap my m7s for black heavens or something else.

17. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I still haven't gotten Toss a Coin to your Witcher out of my head...

I was okay with being a Ritchie Blackmore fan when it was benefiting my guitar playing, but now I'm saving up for a lute....

18. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Am I the only one who can't stand hook fasteners at the top of boots and shoes? Like normal laces and then the top two or three are those open hook fasteners that fucking hook and snag on everything. Why the fuck are those even still a thing? Military style speed laces are 1000% superior if you want quick lacing and don't snag on anything.

19. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Ordered a wrench for tightening guitar jacks from Thomann on Monday. Decided to pay 18€ for UPS express delivery (for a product that cost 12€), because why not. Well, some dude called me yesterday and asked if I'm at home at certain time to which I said no because I'm at work so he asked if he could drop it off at address "asdagsgajsdajshd". I said yes, despite not getting the name of the address because I assumed that they'd sent me a text or an e-mail telling me where to pick it up but no. And the online tracking service just says that my packet is "on the way".

And the USP customer service is non-existant. All they have is filing a report for a missing parcel. Well, my parcel is not "missing". I just don't have a fucking clue where it exactly is. Next time I'll just use the good old national postal service. They might be slow af but at least they write me a letter or sent a text message clearly stating where to pick up my shit.

Edit: Also, my corner shop finally had some Flamin' Hot Cheetos. After a 10 year wait I finally got to try them. Tasted like ass and they cost 5,99€ a bag and I bought 2....

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Jeffrey Bain and Edika like this.
  20. nightflameauto

Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos > Flamin' Hot Cheetos by like a billion. They have actual flavor.

Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos as a chili topping is where it's at. Good in sammiches too.

BlackMastodon and Demiurge like this.