The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Yeah, that is called "bread cheese" which is popular in Finland.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  2. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

home since my lease expired and I can't get to my new place for 3 weeks

it's so nice and dark and quiet and cool and calm

and the wifi is slow as hell

kind of epitome of first world problems

3. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Did your parents put you in the cellar? lol

4. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

I guess I know it as Juustoa because it's "Finnish cheese" in an area that isn't Finland. Now I want some.

5. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

I need to fix my car and get more oil for my home. In order to do that I need to pick up a few extra shifts instead of working just 32 hours a week like normal

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  6. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

nah the router is just at the opposite end of my house from my room and the wifi range extender thingy is useless

7. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Wifi range extenders tend to slow things down. For each new extender on the chain, you'll cut your speed by something like 1/3 to 1/2. Mesh networks are the new hotness, as they don't seem to have the same problem, but they're not cheap to setup and probably wouldn't be worth bothering with for just a few weeks.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

A few first world problems concerning my house. When we bought in December I ws expecting not to do too much work in it for a few years but it seems we need to redo all the rooms. As we have lready moved in it makes it somewhat more difficult. So we've done two rooms already, which was hell, we changed the doors and half of the windows, which was somewhat ok and we're doing another room now which where hoping not to change the floor but we will lol! We had kept some money on the isde but most of it is gone now. The worst part is getting people to do the work in a timely fashion and organize around everyones schedule.
    We also wanted to change from oil to gas and have the gas box installed but the installer that is going to do the job won;t be able to come until we leave for vacation and that moves it out to September. I deliberatly did not put too much oil and luckily the weather was good so far (usually here you'll need some heating in the summer). I hope he gives me a date early in summer so we can have good heating during the winter. I dread the time when we'll have to do our bedroom as it has the most amount of stuff that will take most free space on other rooms. As we need to replaster the room and remove all the nasty wall paper masking all the issues, and plaster has to dry plus paint the room etc etc it will take a couple of weeks we'll be in upheaval again lol.

9. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

From experience, I found setting such an expectation surely tempts the gods. The house we bought was relatively new had some recent and very appealing renovations. We figured that we would pull the carpeting in the bedrooms, install hardwoods, throw up some paint and enjoy. The 75gal water heater died the day after closing, flooding the finished basement; the garage door track gave out days after; then we had to have the kitchen replumbed; then wiring fixed; then the roof repaired; the front walkway started breaking-apart in the following winter's frost-heaves; the rear patio started breaking-apart like the floor of a temple at the end of an Indiana Jones movie. We realized that the prior owners did a lot of the improvements themselves and, while looking great during the purchase process, were done very poorly.

Edika likes this.
  10. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

That's what I'm realising now that they did the improvements and most of the work themselves. Which shows that the work wasn't that great lol. I mean they lived in that house for 20 years and they hadn't insulated the roof. The first floor was like a refrigerator before we insulated it.

Now the dishwasher died after 6 months of use and I see the oven is in it's last legs lol. I'll see about replacing them after we come back from vacation but I was hoping I could put some money on the side for a new car. Seems that's taking a raincheck until it actually dies lol.

But it is a first world problem because I never thought I'd be able to save enough money for a deposit to buy a house. So at least all the work is going to our house and if we do sell it it's not going to be the "mess" the previous owners left. I wonder if this house needs this much work as it was taken care off, how much work other houses would need that were not as well kept.

Demiurge likes this.
  11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^You're right, it is a first world problem and frankly I have no buyer's remorse with my experience. It's a "used" house- some shit is not going to be perfect and some stuff will need to be fixed. With what was on the market at the time- and with what went on after- I think that we still bought one of the better houses in town at the price.

Edika likes this.
  12. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain

Speaking of housing. It took 3.5 weeks for our buyers lender to contact us saying that VA appraisals are only being assigned the 4th Monday after contract and the 5th Monday with a force assignment if the previous Monday order is not picked up. So now I have a job 2500 miles away that I might have to inform that I’ll have to start 13 days after our previous agreement. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. And a contingent contract in that area that will need a modified closing date.

13. thebeesknees22

I bought 2 cartons of milk from costco on Sunday. ..... I open the first one. .. It's rancid.

I open the 2nd. It too is rancid..

I now have no milk.

Edika likes this.
  14. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

So I have been lazy with my goatee maintenance lately (forever), but the masks I bought, which are mandatory to wear atm in my state, means that the long-ish goatee was going all wild when I took the mask off. So I decided to cut it short and neat, but now I have to properly shave the rest of my face every two days so I don't look like an unwashed bum.
    I could get away with shaving only once a week when my goatee was longer...
    *Sigh*

Edika and Adieu like this.
  15. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

For the second time this summer I'm stuck at work alone in my department with one co-worker on summer vac and another one on sick leave. I deliberately asked for a morning shift week for this week so I would have time to clean my apartment since my parents are coming over on weekend but no time for that since I have to pull 12-15 hour days. (+ my feet hurt)

Oh well, I'm crying now but I'm looking forward to getting a new guitar with the overtime pay. :agreed:

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

My feet are horribly itchy and I've been dousing them in hydrocortisone. Pretty sure there's chiggers or no see ums in my lawn, which is unusual since I've never had a problem with them in the past.

17. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I have an Epi Wilshire, and it's a great playing and sounding guitar...but Jesus Christ, I cannot figure out how to fix the neck dive on it.

The top strap button was in a weird spot, so at first I moved it to the back of the neck like the other place Wilshires used, didn't help, and now I moved it to the other side of the horn (like where a normal strap button would be), and the neck dive still sucks, but at least now if I leave my arm resting on it it doesn't dive so bad.

18. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Idk those cheapie Tenda mesh kits work just fine in my experience (must get the right size tho! It drops speed pretty fast once you're pushing the edge of effective range)

19. thebeesknees22

I don't see a good thread for this one so I'm sticking it here. I guess it is kinda FWP..

I was supposed to interview a guy today. The first time he made us reschedule. This second time he no showed.

His reel was kinda wtf enough that I'm like fine, let's not bother rescheduling a 3rd time for this guy. Let's just call it done and move on.

The dude flips out. Threatens the company. Says it's unprofessional to suggest anyone on our team has his level of experience. (he said "we have 23 years of experience blahblah")

....Why.....did he say "we"? Who is we? Shouldn't it have been "I have?"

Anywho........I did not hire that guy, and we didn't reschedule a 3rd interview. And no, he never said why he missed the interview. lol

Edika likes this.
  20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Continuing @Kaura s recycling stuff from the happy thread here, since this goes into FWP territory: why can't all bottles be recyclable the same way soda bottles and beer cans etc are? For example ketchup bottles, olive oil bottles... and while I'm at it also all glass jars and tin cans etc?
    Yeah, sure, at the moment they aren't recyclable because they aren't generic like the bottles drinks come in, but why aren't they? It'd also make organizing the fridge easier if all bottles and jars and crap were standardized.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Kaura likes this.