The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I messaged some nerd on FB marketplace months ago about a Fender Bassman 10, 410 combo. They finally messaged me back, the price is so right, but I just spent well over $1k on another amp head and I really cannot justify buying another open-backed combo.

The price is so, so right though. If only it were a head....

2. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I've been staring at an evh stealth sitting on kijiji for a while. 100w. I to just threw down a good chunk of money on a fabfilter bundle and some other stuff so I can't justify it either. But I feel your delima haha

I feel like the price they're asking for this stealth is high so that at least helps me not try and pull the trigger on it at least

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

There was grit in a bunch of my fried clams . Also I ate way too much lobster this week.

4. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian Contributor

Office management just sent out an email stating that we need to crack down on dress code, even for remote workers.
    Am I the asshole here, or does it seem asinine to require me to change into a buttonup shirt and a suit jacket for a half hour zoom meeting with a handful of the colleagues I've been working with for years? In my own home?

It's not like people were flipping their cameras on in their PJs. I was probably the worst offender wearing band tees more often than not, as that's what my wardrobe consists of and is what I wear around my house. And to be clear, I'm not talking about client-facing meetings. This is INTERNAL- web meetings with your coworkers.

I dunno, curious to hear thoughts on this because to me this seems completely asinine.

5. thebeesknees22

HAAahaha, I'm sorry. That's hilarious though.

Are people required to have their cameras on?

6. Ordacleaphobia

You know it baybeeeeee

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Office dress codes are dumb enough on their own. I wouldn't want to work in a place where I had to wear something specific for zero reason. We've got a guy who does actually work in his PJs and has been doing so since before the work-from-home started. At one point the company I work for got bought out, and while re-working our employment contracts they made a point of amending the dress code to allow PJs so that we wouldn't have to tell that one guy he had to change.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Here's a new one - am I the asshole here?

Someone at work posts an article on the internal slack about a company being sued over harassment etc. I read through the article, and, because I'm an idiot, I point out what to me is some interesting phrasing - because the article uses "play video games during the work day" as a way to say "not doing any work", which I find kinda funny in the context of video game companies, since devs play games at work all the time, but maybe to the average news reader they would interpret that as slacking off.

All of the sudden I start getting these messages about how my priorities are out of order and I'm "not a great look" and "I couldn't give a flying fuck what some decrepit octogenarian who reads Bloomberg thinks of my job".

I tried to back up and just say "hey, that's a bit harsh, I was just making a light-hearted observation about phrasing, I don't disagree with the core of the article, I just didn't want to double down on the negativity in the thread".

And still I get more "these conversations can't coincide, you should reflect on your priorities", etc.

Suddenly I'm the bad guy at work now.

Edika and Adieu like this.
  9. thebeesknees22

oh the joys of company email aliases

Sounds like they take themselves a bit too seriously. I wouldn't worry about it. Coworkers come and go. Wish them well in finding a better job elsewhere far away from you, and ignore them. haha

Are you talking about the Blizzard lawsuit btw?

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yup the blizzard lawsuit. I don't expect the coworkers I'm talking to are going anywhere any time soon, and neither am I - so I have no choice but to just be quiet for a while until they forget how terrible a person I am. On some level, I think that's just what a lot of professional spaces are like now - and gaming in particular - they're very...... virtuous, for lack of a better word. It's very important that you align with the virtues of the group.

I see some amount of irony in that we're tearing apart another company for their culture (even if it's rightly so), while using that signal as a tool to berate me for not berating them enough.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  11. thebeesknees22

yeah i figured it was the blizzard lawsuit.

I feel like games is where vfx was 10-15 years ago culturally peaking. VFX went through a big transition from the old wild west crazy (borderline toxic) work places, and now it's more corporate due to some incidences (one tragic one that I won't go into, but one incident sent shockwaves through vfx that changed everything. It wasn't harassment related. There were some other more funny ones too that changed things at certain studios).

But people are pretty chill in vfx these days. Most stay low key, and most of the super opinionated/toxic people have either dropped out or moved on to other industries.

The same will happen to games as the guy to girl ratio becomes more even I think.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not gonna lie, some days the whole scene feels very tense.

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  13. Ordacleaphobia

Man I don't even want to imagine the atmosphere in the AAA space right now. Imagine that kind of pressure and still knowing that no matter what you put out, people won't be satisfied. Talk about getting attacked from all ends.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm sure there's some element that everyone being stuck at home and only "socializing" remotely is taking a toll on just being decent to people. The office has started doing pub nights now that most restrictions have lifted and a bunch of us are vaccinated, so I ended up seeing this same coworker in person yesterday and tried to make a point of just dropping any argument from the other day and letting it go, being friendly as usual, etc. Seems to have gone ok.

Edika and wheresthefbomb like this.
  15. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Got some cheeze for free from work. I'm not too familiar with different kind of cheezes so I only took one package. Wish I'd taken more because it's delicious. :lol:

Edika, Bodes and Seabeast2000 like this.
  16. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

is Juustoa big there? I won't assume it is. But its the only Finn cheese I know of.

17. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

I have honestly never heard of "Juustoa". I mean that means cheese (oh that's how you spell it...) in Finnish but if it's a brand then no idea.

Can you find a pic of it because even Google doesn't help me here and I'm curious now. :lol:

18. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I have absolutely found this to be the case both in myself and others. My active "normal people probably don't care about this and therefor it doesn't need to come out of my mouth" filter is operating at way lower thresholds than usual.

I also have a much stronger sense of my own boundaries and am much less willing to put up with people's shit, to put it briefly, which while being things I consider positive personal attributes, I must admit have led to some avoidable conflicts at work, and the occasional less-than-stellar interaction with a surly customer.

TedEH likes this.
  19. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

[​IMG]

20. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

I think he LITERALLY means that this word means cheese.