The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

My oil heater has burnt a hole in the chimney cover, so now whenever it rains heavilly, water and some rubbish goes into the furnace and clogs up the burner. All it takes is a few resets and it goes back to normal, but yesterday was the second time this year that I noticed it hasn't been running for days.
    So now I gotta do two things to fix it:
    - get a new chimney cover so rain doesn't get in, but that's really expensive so I'm planning on just buying a little piece of some metal that takes acid better and bolting that over the hole.
    - wire an ldr to the burner's failure led so I can have my nanopi send me notifications about it, so I can react instantly.

But I really just can't be bothered...

2. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

A Sawzall or some type of saw might be pushing it, but having a set of tools in your vehicle is always a good idea.

3. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I got a bag of "gotchas" in each vehicle. Socket set, pliers, channel locks, and crescent wrenches. But saws never even enter my mind to keep in a vehicle unless I have a specific job to do.

4. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

I can't believe Fender still hasn't shipped the Mustang Micro to Europe. I remember them advertising it around the turn of the year and it's still out of stock everywhere. Fine, don't take my money then. :noplease:

5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I've been getting a shitload of job offers lately. Apparently good React-Native developers are nowhere to be found, and some of the offers I've gotten had more than double the salary I'm earning right now... I'm confused af about what to do with the situation. Apart from the salary I have no interest in changing jobs, and I have no idea how I would go about asking for a pretty substantial raise (to be fair, I am doing senior grade work with a junior grade salary) that would tickle that itch without coming off as a greedy bastard.

If that's not a FWP, then I don't know what is :lol:

steinmetzify likes this.
  6. MFB

MFB Banned

I'm in a similar boat, keep getting offers for my current job that I want to transition OUT of, but once I say, "I'm open to moving but what about Y department instead of X" suddenly they go cold

7. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

@p0ke
    The cost of living is skyrocketing in most places. ...take.... the money.

Basically in this situation you have a talk with your current employer. You tell them X offer is on the table. You'd like to stay, but this is a really good offer. Say if there's anything they could do, then you'd love to stay. Give them a week to respond. (or however long you have to respond to your new offer) See what your old company offer is and weigh the two to see what you like the most.

It's not being greedy. It's just the reality of the job market, and you're not doing your fellow employees any favors if you do senior work for junior pay.

If they say they can't do it, then I would take the new job. Double the salary is a lot. If it ends up being a short job then that double salary is now your new bar for your going rate.

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, realistically thinking, that's what I should do... But the main issue is that I'm a founding member of the company I'm in and even though I don't own any of it anymore it still feels like "my company", you know? And since I'm the only mobile dev in the company as well, I'd be leaving them in pretty deep shit if I left.

But still. Double the money is double the money. Argh, we'll see what happens...

9. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^When it comes to career, I think it's OK to be a bit of a mercenary and chase the higher salary. Lord knows that companies dispense with their employees as they wish for monetary purposes while piling-on all this pap about loyalty. In your current situation, you're working above your pay grade while seemingly feeling like you have a duty to maintain that status quo. That's not fair to you.

Millul and BlackMastodon like this.
  10. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

agree with Dimiurge

@p0ke - yeah that's hard. But still, if you don't own any stake then you're still a regular employee to them. Just give proper notice if you take the other offer. standard 2 weeks. (or 4 if you work something out with them and the new company)

11. nightflameauto

Today's FWP: Modern day tracking is the devil. The OFD notice with the "follow your delivery on a live map" thing is some form of torture our ancestors would have never understood. Sigh.

12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

You don't own the company. If it was at their best interest they would drop you without a second thought. If you're the only mobile dev then a promotion to a senior grade and a generous increase in salary should be the way if they want to keep you and need you. Otherwise take the money and go!

Millul likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Yojimbo that shit, play both sides against each other to your benefit. You have a lot of leverage as you have a sizable offer on the table, AND you're in a critical role. Personally I would tell them in no uncertain terms that you have a better offer, and if they want to keep you they need to improve upon that offer, or else you're leaving.

Corporate loyalty is for idiots and poor people. Your only allegiance should be to the side that pays the best and afford you/your family better opportunities.

14. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I agree, if it’s not your company, it’s not your company.

If you like working there, give them the opportunity to make things right for you, either money, or shares or new terms and conditions that favour you. Or walk.

Realistically, working a job that pays double for 5 years just means you can pay off your mortgage faster or retire sooner, or more comfortably. If you leave on good terms, you can always go back in a few years time... It’s easy to play the short game whilst you’re young, but the happiest and most secure people I know now I’m middle aged are the guys who had a get out plan from day-one.

Millul likes this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In some fairness, I think things like work/life balance, cultural fit, satisfaction with what you're doing, etc., can all potentially outweigh a higher salary if you don't need the money that badly. I've definitely passed up more money for a more otherwise-comfortable position before, but then I'm also lucky enough to have low rent, no kids, no real obligations, etc.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  16. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

As much as I agree that you shouldn't be loyal to a company to the point that you reject better offers, this is definitely a big factor. You can work for the west coast tech giants for like $200k starting out of school, but they also work you to the bone and basically expect you to eat, sleep, and breath your work. I'll take half of that in a more relaxed environment in an area that has a much cheaper cost of living, thanks.

17. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I realized I had a lot of money I forgot about and between that and a raise within my first 3 weeks at my new job plus some newfound confidence I decided I finally would get one of my dream guitars: a white LP custom. Only this one is a Japanese 1983 Burny, an LC70RR. Apparently legitimate Burny RRs are impossible to find, better than any Gibson or other lawsuit from the time, and stupid expensive and desirable. This one happened to have a Kahler and was therefore useless to any collector. Enter me who won't keep a guitar without a trem and who would love to play a kahler. Snagged about 30% off on it with an offer and shipping says it would get here Wednesday evening, when I work until 4 and then I'm home until I meet my friend who just gets back into town.

Figure why not skip the gym, have a chill day, sign for the guitar then go get crossed as hell with her and shoot the shit and catch up. Had the day planned perfectly.

Just checked the shipping since I've been checking it OBSESSIVELY. Didn't even leave Florida until today at 6. Fucking UPS had it sitting there for over a day. Delivery is now scheduled Thursday evening, when I go into work at 4 and won't be able to sign for it. I have no way to get to whatever UPS delivery hub it's going back to.

FUUUUUUUCCCKKKK

also pic Screenshot_20210614-081250_Chrome.jpg

steinmetzify likes this.
  18. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Other than the fact that I live in a more rural area and have actually needed one before, I like keeping my drills and stuff together.

Also, protip, get an impact drill to keep with your stuff. Being able to take lug nuts off that easy beats the hell out of messing with a 4 way or that bullshit thing they have with jacks on new cars.

19. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

OT: I recently got one of those LION jumper/charger deals. I also saw one of those wheel well swing out tool boxes that I am considering getting. [​IMG]

20. nightflameauto

Got a new toy. Can't get a stand to stay stable with it mounted on a boom.
    dyn.jpg

And no stand is low enough to mount it upright without the boom and still hit the center of the speaker. *SIGH*

thebeesknees22 likes this.