The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Debating on ditching my Peters Bodyhammer for a Quick Rod or a Ceriatone of some sort (molecular and gargoyl both sounded pretty cool).

USMarine75 likes this.
  2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

While it's no help for big stuff like guitars & cabs, what we've been doing since moving to our current place is putting-out a large plastic tote with a sign reading "Place Deliveries Here" on the lid at the a couple yards out in front of the garage. A surprising number of deliverers actually heed it, and it's made getting stuff in shit weather a whole lot easier.

3. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Just reading that he left a package out by your trash cans on garbage pick-up day made me want to fling shit at him like a fucking wild chimp. After reading the rest, that guy deserves the absolute worst. Fuck 'im.

USMarine75 and Edika like this.
  4. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

For a change of pace, I have a positive story.

My local USPS chick is actually pretty cool and when I had first moved in here, a guitar I had ordered showed up in a very 'This is an Ibanez guitar'-ey box.
    She stuck it underneath my car that was parked out front with a sticky note with an arrow on it stuck inside the mailbox.

Much nicer than the delivery people at my old place that were...yeah...a lot like what I'm seeing here :lol:

5. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I just wasted an hour trying to get my new guitar held at the shipping center a block away from my house with no result. Congrats, Fedex. You have defeated me. Guess I'll be taking an unplanned trip into work on my day off after all.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  6. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

This must be value add. I had to make 8 cold calls tracking down a FedEx misdelivery in Dallas last week. Random guy says he has it. Got it back.so he's batting 1000. FedEx is not.

Edika likes this.
  7. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

I want to change my car but looking at what's available, to quote Clarkson "this is like looking at the menu at a German restaurant". In France, if it is not grey, diesel or hybrid, or all 3 of them, then good F luck.

Edika, Millul and BlackMastodon like this.
  8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I was taking a dump this morning when I noticed that the radiator in the toilet was cold. So I went to check the oil furnace or whatever you'd call it, and turns out the burner had stopped because of some fault. I checked the water temperature, and it had dropped from 70°C to a bit below 30°C (158 -> 86 °F), which leads me to believe that it's been off all weekend :wallbash: I pressed the reset button and after three attempts it started and heated the water back up to 70° in about an hour, but what a waste of oil...

Edika likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Did you say toilet radiator? Toilets have radiators?

10. nightflameauto

Some folks/countries refer to the entire bathroom as "the toilet." Which leads to all sorts of hilarity with cross-border conversations.

My first world problem today: I have a good paying job. It covers the bills and gives me enough left over to do lots of fun stuff. But it sucks up enough time I don't get the time I need to complete any project I start. Sucks to have the means and not the time. Damn job.

11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Same here, and it becomes such a suffocating feeling when, at the same time, the days seem to blow-by.

12. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I too share that FWP as do many. I'm generally ok with it since I'm a bit of a workaholic., and my job has given me a lot of experiences most people don't get to have. (certainly nothing my hillbilly self ever thought possible considering where I grew up) ... But...right now it's a bit much. lol

I just pulled an 80hr week. I'm staring at needing to do 4-6 more weeks of it. Might...might hit 100hrs on this project before it's over. ...Man... I'm tired. ..I think I'll go buy another plugin to make myself feel better lol

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, our upstairs toilet has a radiator, and it's definitely there for a reason. Whenever the radiator isn't working for whatever reason, the toilet gets super cold because it's right next to some not very well insulated attic space. And it's such a small room, I can't really justify calling it a bathroom :lol:
    I don't get why the previous owners haven't put floor heating in there though, as the toilet's been renovated less than 10 years ago.

And yeah, like @nightflameauto said, over here we refer to the room as the toilet rather than the bathroom, unless it actually has a shower and all that. Ours doesn't, both are just plain toilets and what I refer to as the bathroom is in the basement, next to the sauna.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  14. nightflameauto

To expand on my previous post:
    I've been super into progressive bands lately, and I think it's starting to rub off. Problem is, when you start writing shit like that, you can't break it off into half hour or even hour chunks and get anywhere. I've been working on the same riff/song for about three months at this point, and I *ALMOST* have a drum pattern for the first twelve measures or so under the guitars.

It's sad, but the last three or four songs I've completed have been because I took three days off work in a row. The first two are to catch up on all the bullshit piling up at home I don't have time for, and the last one is lock myself in the music room and go to town, ignoring the rest of the house in favor of creative time.

I'm feeling like I may be at a breaking point, but I'm not sure what the break would be. I probably just need a real vacation, but that's not happening anytime soon. Works a fever pitch of go, go, go. Home's . . . busy. So I take my half hour a day and barely get warmed up enough to play another riff. FWP!

15. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I'm now just so confused over the whole toilet thing. I thought that a bathroom overseas was a loo. Now I'm wondering if I ever move to Europe if I'll ever be able to accurately describe my crap concerns to anyone. Like if the bathroom is actually a toilet than what even is the actual toilet called..."can"? And is it even spelled "loo" or is it like "loup"? And does that even matter at this point??? I mean.. where does all of this leave me? Such torturous lament... not being able to reach out to fellow toilet enthusiasts across the globe due to my ignorance of regional dialect. And the squirty things... bidet? Or do those have another European name? It's all so confusing. No way that I can move out of the states now. Real world problems indeed.

16. BlackMastodon

Loo (Lieu? Loux? Lioux??) = British colloquialism for the bathroom
    Toilet = bathroom with no shower, as p0ke said, in almost all of Europe except Britain. Also more formally referred to as a Wash Closet, or Commode. (Fun fact: in Canada we call it a Washroom)
    Bidet = ass cleaning water jet
    Bog or Shitter = toilet itself

p0ke and High Plains Drifter like this.
  17. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I think the thing is that different ‘bathrooms’ have different ‘facilities’ in them.

So our en suite bathroom has no bath, but has a shower instead. Plus toilet and washbasin. Despite having no bath, we still call it a bathroom.

Our family bathroom has a bath in it, and a toilet and washbasin, we also call this a bathroom.

Our downstairs toilet, is just a toilet and washbasin, we call that the ‘downstairs toilet’ sometimes it’s called a ‘half bathroom’ in sales literature, but it’s definitely not got half a bath in there....

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

But why do you drive on the parkway and park on the driveway?

BlackMastodon likes this.
  19. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

You, sir have given me renewed courage to once again correspond with fellow shitter enthusiasts across the world. Thank you!

20. BlackMastodon

Oh damn I forgot about washbasin!
    High Plains, we call that a Sink (or Vanity ? Or maybe Vanity is the whole unit with the drawers, etc?)

High Plains Drifter likes this.