The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Lol... I tried not considering all the gear-related stuff ( as well as home-improvement stuff) that I could buy for the price of this mattress/ frame. I had to get away from that way of thinking. My wife is only 27 yrs old and she already experiences occasional soreness in her back, hips, etc cause she's on her feet so much at her job. I accept that she often goes to bed sore and tired but when she's waking up that way, something's gotta change. If it was just me, I'd prob keep sleeping on this old mattress/ box-spring till the end of time but I know that she needs and deserves better.

We had the option to have them pick up the old mattress and box-spring when they deliver the new one but we also decided instead to put that shit in the guest bedroom. Like "Oh the joy that our guests will surely feel when they discover that they're sleeping on over 20 years of my sweat residue, dehydrated semen, skin flakes, and hair!" But I think that she really just wants a bed in the guest b/r for the sake of it looking more like a bedroom and less like a mini Guitar Center. Not sure how that's all gonna work since that room is currently the guitar overflow room but that's what she wants to do with it. Fortunately we aren't planning to expend any additional money on furniture. We'll likely get a headboard but that's about it.

The reviews on the Saatva are pretty impressive to be sure but there were none available to try in our area. We were able to check out a Purple but we just didn't jive with the gel. The top contenders were the Beautyrest Hybrid and the Tempur-Pedic Adapt and although they were both quite nice and highly rated, they still weren't exactly what we wanted.

We ultimately chose the Sealy Hybrid Premium Silver Chill 14". The Ease 3.0 adjustable base was $650 alone but after we tried the 0-G tilt, my wife just had to have it. And I agree w/ her... lotta reasons to love that feature.. potentially reducing snoring, congestion, and back pain as well as being able to comfortably sit up and watch movies, etc. We discussed the 24 mo interest free financing option but we really didn't want to add another payment to our monthly budget.

Naw.. no discount Furniture stores in our area... none that carried any decent selection of mattresses anyway. We did have the opportunity to purchase a Serta iSeries Hybrid for almost $1000 off but it was a clearance mattress and carried absolutely no warranty nor return/ exchange option. We just couldn't see doing that. We have 120 days to sleep on the one that we bought so that gives us a little piece of mind that we might not have had going the discount or clearance route ( although it'll cost us a 10% restocking fee and $99 return pick up charge if we decide we don't like it).

That was the mistake that we made initially. We thought that basically anything would be better than our old mattress so we set our budget pretty low. But yeah...we quickly surmised that we might genuinely regret getting something cheap and expecting it to provide us with a decade or more of comfort and support. Really crazy what a broad spectrum there is with materials, technology, and craftsmanship in the world of mattresses these days.

Haha... Ikr? Man we sincerely wanted to replace our sofa this year as it's overdue as well. But unfortunately that's not going to happen now. Yeah, when we started looking at sofas about a year ago, we soon discovered how easily that expense could rise. But same thing with the beds... massage function, perimeter lighting, sleep tracking... and what I found to be truly insane- a frame that when it detects snoring, lifts your head so that you'll stop and not wake your partner lol. I really hope that we'll be able to replace our sofa in another year or so but for now, the bed has to be the priority.

2. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Bite my glorious, golden ass!"

Never skimp on anything that connects you to the ground, I’ve heard. Mattresses, footwear, tires... uh, guitar pedals?

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Yes to the first 3, debatable on the last one lol.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Having a house built.

Because of the market the way that it is, it will take 12 months to finish!

Also, stopped by Ashley Furniture just to check prices. They had a standard MIC production couch set for $15k. Not even anything special or overly nice about it.

5. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

With a delivery time of late Fall? Our neighbors were looking at patio furniture, and it's like 6 months out.

Our other neighbors just signed a contract for a pool, they break ground next April.

It is absolutely ridiculous right now.

BlackMastodon and USMarine75 like this.
  6. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

those lumber prices too....ouch..

BlackMastodon and USMarine75 like this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Yup. We canceled the deck. We'll do it down the road when prices normalize instead. I think the price was almost $20k, which was 4x more than the builder was quoting 2 years ago. We only did the screened-in porch because it was structural and had to be done now (due to home design).

8. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Woooow! That's a crazy huge increase in no time at all.

9. MFB

MFB Banned

If it's any consolation, one of the new housing renovation projects were doing may be killed entirely due to material costs at the moment; it's all pre-fab, modular design for four different multi-story building + townhouses, but it's looking more and more like it's going on hold for the foreseeable time as they got pricing back and they are crazy over budget.

Again, that's a multi-million dollar deal development for several hundred apartments and townhouses being cancelled because of material costs.

10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Re: beds.

I got suckered into spending a shitpile of money on a temperpedic foam bed some five years ago and honestly.... It's amazing. I love that bed. Supposedly they last a couple decades too.

Supposedly the online ones like Casper and... Purple? Are very good and a lot cheaper. Might be worth looking into.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  11. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

I was burnt out on big $$ mattresses, have had a Tuft/Needle and it brand new after 5 years. Done with Big Mattress.​

12. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Tried a couple Purple models... didn't like but yeah, they're getting great reviews online. Would've liked to have tried some other ones like Tuft & Needle, Puffy Lux, Nectar, Saatva, etc but we couldn't find those locally so no dice. They all have good buzz online but just too much potential risk and hassle to buy a mattress w/o being able to test it out before buying. No matter anyway since we both absolutely love the one that we got and have 120 days to make sure that it truly is "the one" that we believe it is.

13. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

My parents got one when they first came out, and loved it so they got me one too. The old ass questionable mattress I sleep on at my deer camp is more comfortable than that damn thing.

To me having something to keep you head on in the right spot is better than the mattress. A rolled up jacket on a shit mattress is better than the most comfortable mattress in the world and a shit pillow.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I think my mattress in New York is a tuft and needle. Whatever it was it was much cheaper then whatever slock the big box stores were hocking.

15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

15k seems crazy for mic furniture.

16. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Also, my son has my old temperpedic mattress, and the pillow to go along with it. One time my kids decided to start a pillow fight with me, so I grabbed the first pillow I could.

Just so you know...a temperpedic pillow in a pillow fight is about the equivalent of this...

In my defense, I found myself in an ambush situation and defended myself with the first thing I could, that tooth had been ready to come out for a couple days, and he wouldn't have even noticed it my wife hadn't walked in right about the time I accidentally smoked him in the face with a hard ass foam pillow. :facepalm:

Before anyone gets upset, when my wife went to stop the bleeding, he took a pillow with him so he could plan his counter attack, and the tooth fairy left him an extra $9. And my daughter made me use a different pillow. It was 2 on 1, but that pillows not fair. :duel::hungus:

USMarine75 and BlackMastodon like this.
  17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I need a new hat for the summer as my previous straw fedora is totally worn out. Trying to find a similar one, but because my head is huge it just isn't happening.
    Basically the only big enough ones I've managed to find ship from the US, and from there the shipping costs almost 3x the price of the hat :wallbash:

Edika likes this.
  18. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I have been asked by the local campus pastor to write a metal mass.

19. MFB

MFB Banned

So when does the album go triple Mer?

ImNotAhab, Edika and BlackMastodon like this.
  20. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

What...?! We need more details.

I think a symphonic metal style would be the easiest to adapt to a church setting, but it feel like it would be pretty hard for it not to turn out corny.

Anyway, keep us in the loop.