The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by steinmetzify, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

Got back to the gym today, boy have I lost some muscle, considering each of the sets I used to do is now about ...10-15 lbs lighter :(

They also updated all their ellipticals to the new Life Machine style, which I find to be a bit clunkier than the older models and feel like they have a higher resistance, but I still managed to squeeze out two miles in 18:30 - so thankfully I haven't lost too much time on the cardio front.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

The ownership of the company I work for changed (it's been all over the place since the start of the pandemic), and now all our email addresses got changed into the domain they should've been under to begin with. But now my old email (which doesn't exist anymore) is bound to a bunch of 3rd party accounts and I have to do the whole "change and verify email" thing on all those accounts :wallbash: I just hope none of them require email confirmation for the old email...

thebeesknees22 and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It seems weird to me that they would just swap the emails over without setting up an alias or something to cover these cases. There's ways to handle transitions like that - sounds like someone dropped the ball on that one.

Demiurge likes this.
  4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

That is strange. I work for a company that has been around for a few decades and has gone through an eff ton of mergers & acquisitions, each seemingly including a change in email address. But our email system has retained all the prior addresses. I just checked one of my long-tenured colleagues- she has 17 addresses that can be used.

5. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I mean, my job I was at for 8 years got bought out and that was a complete dumpster fire. Their 2 week job of remodeling the shop took 2 months and then right after we finally reopened, I got sent home for a month because I coughed and then I got laid off because my Kung Flu test results got lost in the mail. I can totally a company completely screwing up emails.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Oh yeh, getting bought out can definitely be a shitshow. Doesn't have to be though. It caaaaaaaan go well.

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yup. The reason they dropped the ball is that they assessed it just wasn't worth handling any further than they did. It only affected 7 people after all.

8. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I had to go to the office to pick up a new keyboard and mouse.

It was the first time I've been out and about since like January. It felt super weird. I...I actually had to talk to someone ....*whispers* ....in person. :|

I'm back in my apartment now..

The cabin fever is now at 11.....need....to....go back...outside... but...I have too much work to do... I'm back on 11-12 hr days. 6 day weeks.. maybe 7 until June/july...
    at least it looks nice outside from my window.

Edika likes this.
  9. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

My wife was Beatles fangirling, so we got into an argument about the best rock and roll band of all time

index.jpg

Thanks to some Crown and Coke...even though Little Richard is obviously better, my drunk ass might have split my head open headbanging to Helter Skelter. #WhatwouldLemmydo?

ImNotAhab and Edika like this.
  10. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Bite my glorious, golden ass!"

My office got a new water cooler which is slow to fill and the cold button is hard to press and I have to awkwardly bend my knees in order to line up my water bottle which doesn't fit properly under the spout. *sobs

Edika, BlackMastodon and Seabeast2000 like this.
  11. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Mattress shopping on a budget... well this was depressing.

Started out with a budget of about $1000. Figured right out of the gate that we'd likely wind up over that by a couple hundred bucks but whatever... may just have to suck it up. So we hit up a couple local mattress stores and eventually start circling around a couple brands/ models at one particular store.

Eventually we narrow things down to several 'kinda' faves. These were all around $1200+ but problem was that none of them were giving us that omg! sensation. So feeling a bit disenchanted we decide to call it a day and start doing some research on the models that appealed to us the most. Well crap... bad reviews abounded online regarding the two cheapest... mainly related to premature sagging. And since I'm already prematurely sagging enough as it is, we began to see our budget slipping away. That left us researching the only other one that we had liked and that had promising reviews. Problem was that this one was about $1800... well above our initial budget. And unfortunately... although fairly comfortable, it still hadn't given us that "this is the one!" feeling.

Next day we decide that we need to go back and spend some more sprawl-time on the top contender. Sadly, we both feel as if it's not quite as comfy as we had initially surmised. But we had discussed things at this point and we both felt that we needed to come to terms with the fact that we had been approaching this situation all wrong. The quest for a super cheap/ really comfy/ highly rated mattress all in one, simply wasn't going to materialize.

Alright... so now we make the decision to go ahead and swim towards the deeper end of the pool. Our budget has now been viciously assaulted and is on life support with little chance of recovery. But we're realizing why some mattresses cost significantly more than others and we're accepting that this is the route we're gonna have to go. This all leads up to essentially one final candidate that we hadn't yet tried out... the last one within our newly revised budget. And just like that, as soon as we stretched out on it we knew that our search was finally over. The angels sang, the heavens parted, the planets aligned... all of that. It was the one. We opted to include the wireless zero-gravity adjustable head/ foot tilt base too since we're into it this far so why not? My wife was in love with that option.

Gotta add that I remember recently here on SSO, someone mentioning something about how expensive beds are and holy shit, they were right. But the way that my wife and I look at it is that our mattress is over 20 years old so we're WAY overdue to replace it and if we can get at least a decade of good sleep and proper support, then it'll all be worth the investment. We'll take possession of it in another week or so and although here we are almost $2000 over our original budget, we're both sincerely excited about this purchase. Definitely a first world problem but as with many things, sometimes ya just gotta pay to play.

12. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Mattresses can be crazy expensive!

I still have my first mattress I bought in LA waaaay back in 2006 for like $700. I shipped it to Canada with my stuff when I moved lol. It's terrible. Stiff. Makes my back hurt if I sleep in it too long. .....but I don't want to spend money on a new one when a nice mattress costs as much as a nice new guitar if not way more. lol

13. Demiurge

Had the same experience when I recently moved. The old bed frame and its $399 mattress went to the "guest room" (what an effing waste of a room, might I say) and we went brand-new for the master bedroom. Fortunately, the furniture itself was eye-wateringly expensive so the residual shock from that carried me through paying an obscene price for the mattress.

14. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

What did you end up getting? We got a Saatva about 5 years ago and it is still like the day we bought it. I think the important thing is rotating it every 6 months.

We got another mattress about a year ago for our guest bedroom and got the head/foot tilt foundation and that’s a pretty good feature. The mattress is a little too soft for me though, and I don’t see it holding up as well as the Saatva even though we probably paid about the same. Mattress stores also have pretty good financing options to make it a little easier.

15. MFB

MFB Banned

Are there no discount furniture stores in the area?

In MA/NH we have Bobs, which is where I got my faux-temperpedic mattress for $300; I originally looked higher but then my parents told me they had just gotten one and there's different levels of firmness, so I tried it and went with it. I did then end up needing a new bedframe since I went up from a Full to a Queen, so that hit me for another $200 or so.

I honestly have no idea how mattresses are so expensive

16. Demiurge

Nah, we insisted on going to Jordan's to get fleeced. This was after Rotman's and Bernie & Phyll's proved themselves wholly incapable of delivering a non-damaged piece of furniture (and scuffing-up our walls in the process).

17. MFB

MFB Banned

Oh man, Bernie & Phyll's is a name I haven't heard in a long time, so long I can't even recall if they're still around? I don't remember any big hurrah, I think they just slowly faded out when going against Bob's (who I see ads for all the time) and Jordan's (who also advertise everywhere), and the other smaller, not as large stores.

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I'm a firm believer in not skimping out on your mattress. Saving a few hundred bucks is nice but absolutely not worth sleeping on a shitty mattress for years. Splurging and getting a good mattress is probably one of the best purchases you can make.

19. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Man I'm running through this same thing with my living room at the moment.
    When I bought the house, I got this big faux-leather couch for the living room, and since my house turned into 'the spot' for everyone to hang out at, it's received much more wear over the last few years than I anticipated and is already starting to flake everywhere.

So I'm shopping for a new sofa / sectional this week, and yeah, same thing...I went in with a budget of like $1000 and now I'm looking at like $3500 sofas. I had no idea they have the shit they have now. A sofa where each seat is practically its own independent rocking recliner? Built in headlamps? Integrated storage space behind the backrest / in the armrest? Integrated hidden power outlets / USB ports? bruh. That was supposed to be new kick drum money.

20. Demiurge

Yeah, they've got a good-size store on Route 9 in Westborough. They were close, so we checked them out and found a really nice bedroom set. They were easy to work with. Come delivery day, though, I didn't get a chance to see the headboard in full until they brought it inside (and leaned it against the freshly-painted wall), and there was a huge scrape in the finish across the front. Sent it back. They tried replacing it with another damaged piece. I learned the lesson to not even let the thing off the truck without inspecting first.