The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Dark Wolf, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

The other dude is Miles, sick guitar player.

2. squids

squids .

i imagine he is quite ill if he is covering all guitar duties on a rings of saturn tour.

i had the strangest dream last night that keene had asked me to fill in for justin mckinney on the last leg of the summer slaughter tour, and i did it and it just messed up my life hard core. not from substance abuse or whatever but it took up all my time and while it was fun, i wished i had never agreed. and then i woke up, and told myself i would never smoke that much before bed again.

JimF likes this.
  3. valder

valder SS.org Regular

thank you for sharing

Dcm81, feraledge and marcwormjim like this.
  4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Try not to smoke before posting, either.

Dcm81 likes this.
  5. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I thought The Faceless sounded pretty good last night (Summer Slaughter San Diego). Keene's clean vocals were pretty uninspired, but the solos were spot on :metal:

takotakumi likes this.
  6. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Felt the same when I saw them here in Atlanta on Summer Slaughter.
    Everything was spot on but I felt that his choruses and signature "god is dead" chants from autotheism coulve been a little more cheerful or along the original songs. Regardless they put on an amazing show here :D :)

gunch likes this.
  7. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

It almost feels like I'm becoming a real Faceless basher here, but I honestly think this sounds atrocious:

Listen to the drums and the overall sense of time there. I do usually focus a lot on the playing being tight, so it might not bother everyone nearly as much, but oh man... To their defense, An Autopsy sounded ok. But this is far from the Faceless that I grew to love. The studio stuff is awesome - I really liked Black Star. But I wouldn't be excited in the least to go see them live. And here's a man talking who flew from Finland to UK to see them on multiple dates in 2013 (which of course, they cancelled, haha... was still a good vacation).

8. squids

squids .

i forgot to say i saw them at the UC last tuesday. they were ok. kind of like a high school band playing at some rally; the vocalist is really the only one with stage presence, while "keene and the gang" just kinda stand there trying not to mess up, though i will admit i'd be pretty hard pressed to do anything more than an occasional head bang while playing their stuff cause it is HARD.
    the sound was good, but the other bands playing were better. Oceano surprisingly killed it, for generic breakdowns. i had to leave halfway through TBDM but overall a pretty good show.

Velokki likes this.
  9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, that did sound pretty horrible :( The sound seemed to get better after a few songs but it sounded like everyone was way off time most of the time...

Velokki likes this.
  10. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Exactly! And they do play to a click + have a lot of experience of live shows, so it's not excusable at all for a band of that caliber. Very much a shame, because at their best they were a really, really tight band. Now it sounds like band practice of a decent local band. Which isn't really a compliment.

11. CGrant109

CGrant109 SS.org Regular

We got to hang and catch up with James the other day at the Chicago date. My guitarist put together this video of him playing their set. Still so crazy to think that he learned this set in 2 days...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Velokki and squids like this.
  12. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

He didn't learn the set in two days- he already had most of it down. He has multiple the Faceless covers up on YouTube.

I talked to Keene at the Denver show and he was friendly just like the previous times we've spoken. He's definitely lost some weight, but it's not like he's got track marks or can't function like some degenerate addict that a lot of people have made him about to be recently for some reason. I didn't really expect him to remember me since it's been about 4 years since the last time and what with me going from very long hair to short, but he definitely remembered. Looked at me like I was crazy that he wouldn't have remembered.

13. squids

squids .

to be fair though i do that same thing at every single family event. they're like "dont you remember me?" and i say "of course i do! you must be crazy if you thought i forgot you"
    if it works for me, it could work for keene. unless he doesn't owe you money....

14. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

This is really disappointing to see how sloppy they have been sounding lately. I remember seeing them for the first time at a Summer slaughter tour years ago and they were sick! They had just released planetary duality (My favorite tech death album ever!). PD played a huge part in my life.

15. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Ok, in that video, the playing was sick. Some confusion there every now and then, but he seems to be a really good drummer. That guy really has it down.

They seem to be getting more tight and confident after each show of the tour - which is natural. But I still vehemently stand by the fact, that a band should take their time before their tour to really grind their songs. It's almost like they're using the first 3/4 of the tour to practice and gain confidence in their songs, you can really see them getting better towards the end of the tour.

I really hope this tour has been a good experience for Keene, and gives him a positive push of motivation to slay his personal demons once and for all. I'd love him to be what he was in 2011-2012 - sober (at least for the most part), productive and able to stick to commitments.

16. squids

squids .

james has such a crispy blast beat. Jamming with that guy would be insane

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  17. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

Eh, not quite like that. First name basis. I use to be in a band with someone who lived with him (and mixed/produced by another person that lived with him) and we recorded our album in his studio (Not actually using Keene Machine studios, just the space while he was on a previous Summer Slaughter tour lol). Like I said we've met before and talked at length, drank, etc. It had just been a long time. He's a cool dude that's why I just don't understand a lot of the issues people have with him.

18. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

The more and more I hear of The Faceless' new material, the more I like The Zenith Passage. God bless McKinney.

19. chucklives6960

chucklives6960 SS.org Regular

When I saw them in Dallas for SS, Keene ruined 3 or 4 solos. It was super disappointing to witness, mostly because the parts that he botched were the easiest parts of the songs. He looked extremely confused a lot of the time, and he pulled some real dumb ass nonsense for the diminished sweeps in An Autopsy. I suppose I'm mostly upset because I'm the only one out of my friends that still attempts to give them a chance, and this show was an extreme blow to my already shaky outlook on them now.

20. squids

squids .

honestly if keene is just butchering solos live (he wasn't that bad in sf actually) he should just have mckinney do them live lol

Ok so whatever, summer slaughter is over. why hasn't sumerian made any comment about the album? if submitting the album was a prerequisite to get on the tour, they obviously did that (justin made a whole post about it too i think), and it's been at least a month since then, and FIVE YEARS since autotheism. we've had 3 periphery albums, a veil of maya album (and possibly another one soon), 2 contortionist albums, 2 rings of saturn albums, and a shit load of other stuff since then. if they actually have the album into the label, they should put that shit out soon before they lose their entire fan base