The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Dark Wolf, Apr 17, 2007.

1. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Well at least it's getting very mixed reviews

2. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I expected to be disappointed and I was. Cup Of Mephistopheles is the only other decent song besides the singles. This has to be the most watered down and pussified version of The Faceless possible, I don't know what Keene did to lose all of his sick riffing abilities but its a damn shame. I won't be buying the next Faceless album and I wish I hadn't bought this one.

3. Selkoid

Selkoid SS.org Regular

I can't get into the production on the album at all, it's almost distracting. My favorite track is the intro track haha.

4. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Yeah, the production is killing me too. Everything is so sterile.

Ken, while being a good vocalist, doesn't fit here. Just my opinion of course.

I love what they used to sound like. First two albums are so damn good. Didn't bother with these last two though. Well, to each their own.

5. Big_taco

Big_taco SS.org Regular

It's kinda a bummer the singles are the strongest tracks. "I am" starts pretty strong but then kinda hits a wall and drags the last half or so. I also find the production weird and somewhat off putting.

The spoken word tracks would probably feel less shoehorned if the album was a few tracks longer but with the ratio of quality tracks to filler I'm not sure that would make it a better album. The subject matter also comes off as a confirmation of all Keene's personal problems which made it a little had to listen given the last few years of problems they've had.

I hope this isn't the last Faceless album.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

How would this compare to Autotheism?

7. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Slightly better since theres actually a couple good songs. I hate that album though so take what I said with a grain of salt.

8. philkilla

philkilla Jesus Saves Contributor

This album is really fucking weird...or maybe I'm just biased because how sick the new morbid angel is.

9. Big_taco

Big_taco SS.org Regular

Nah...it is very weird. I've spun it twice today. The first time was kinda disappointing, leading to my above post. The second was slightly better but still weird.

The production, while off putting, does fit the dark and empty subject matter.

10. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Been listening to this all morning trying to really get a good sense of it.

It's weird. The lyrics certainly mark this as the most personal Faceless record as of late, yet the music makes it seem like the most cut-and-paste. Yeah, the production is super sterile where pretty much everything from Ken Sorceron's vocals, all guitars, bass, toms and hi-hats are squashed into a tiny, tinny midrange part of the spectrum, while Keene's vocals and the snare and kick occupy almost all of the rest. But musically, it's soooooo lifeless and predictable.

If you're not tired of robotic double-bass and blastbeats by the time "The Spiraling Void" ends, you're a better man than I. There's just not a single song here that feels like 4-5 guys sat in a studio or practice space and worked any of it out together. It feels like Keene demos where he recorded all of the guitars and bass to Superior Drummer stock "metal" patterns, then had Justin McKinney contribute solos in parts. I know Keene has always been the dominant force, but Autotheism just had way more personality. Lyle Cooper's drum parts sounded like they were recorded by a human, Evan Brewer's basslines were constantly snaking around the music, and Wes Hauch's riffing and solos stood out.

Don't get any of that here...ad I like The Zenith Passage and Justin McKinney as a guitar player. But this record.....it's just very disjointed. Too unfocused, too short, too scattershot....

BIG ND SWEATY likes this.
  11. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Too short? It's the longest Faceless album

12. squids

squids .

alright i cooled off and spent the about 4 hours in the car total today and just listened to it back to back. I think it's probably Keene's best work. I still don't like the fact that it was 5 years in the making and it's really only 6 songs and 3 of them i've been listening to for months/years but the other 3 are pretty good. i feel like this is music coming from actual emotion rather than some bullshit alien abduction/god isn't real trash that someone wrote cause it's "metal". the intro and reprise are unnecessary but i guess add to the "spooky" vibe if you're into that. idk why everyone hates the production, it's way better than the shitty, overly gain-y akeldama sound, it's sterile and precise and cold just like tech death should be, i'd say "to each their own" but that's also a bunch of bs and if you don't like it then don't listen to it, plain and simple. i'm sure you'll go back to playing planetary duality on repeat since that's "real genius" anyways. it's also the longest faceless album, as well as i find the bass much more tasteful on this album, evan's was kinda all over the place, and all wes put on autotheism was 10 billion years and the 1 solo, which is exactly what happened here except with justin mckinney playing more solos and probably not writing much at all but whatever. nobody listens to the faceless without expecting to listen to "the michael keene project", so i'm not sure why you're expecting a full band writing songs together. if you want more mckinney, there's the zenith passage. Ken sounds monstrous and spiraling void is a break from that i guess but this album has the most black metal influence and theres not a lot of people that would have done a better job, everything is tight and sterile but his voice is more raw, adds some texture to it all. also the depeche mode cover is kinda cool considering it's completely out of the blue. i'm sticking with my low rating, i would be happy to see more from this lineup but 3 new songs and a 2 minute instrumental is kinda weak.

elnyrb10, cip 123 and Seybsnilksz like this.
  13. valder

valder SS.org Regular

The drums sound like they were written by a guitarist. AKA, they're boring.

wait, apparently drums weren't programmed? Weird. Lyle Cooper spoiled us for drums in this band

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    mikah912 likes this.
  14. DeathbyDesign

DeathbyDesign *Palm Muting Intensifies*

Is it just me or does it feel like the album doesn't really flow that well? Some songs are good but others feel rushed and forced to be on this record to fill it out :2c:.

cip 123 likes this.
  15. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Btw just to let you know, there are bass frequencies on the album. Just none of my headphones or old speakers could reproduce them.

Just got a pair of Genelec G Two speakers - Digging The Grave is massive on these. The bass is very, very low, in the sub region. It's kind of a menacing round wall of force that really ties the mix together. Also, with these the mix is super clear.

Give the album's production another chance and listen to it with really good speakers if you can.

teqnick likes this.
  16. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Tried listening to some of this but I don't think I'll get through it. The guitar and bass tones really just irk me. I listened to "I am" and hearing it fade out I think I'm done with this album.

From what I've heard about the instrumental track, spoken word stuff. This doesn't feel like 5 years in the making, something about that fade out just seemed like "I am" was unfinished. Anyone else get that vibe?

Like I'm fine waiting 5 years for an album, I didn't have my expectations too high, but it doesn't even really feel finished to me.

17. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

Digging the grave is absolutely amazing (maybe even better than its Faith No More counterpart!) :eek:

Will listen to whole album later!

18. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

I hated the clean keene vocals when i was an angsty try hard death metal tween. Then they grew on me. Now it just makes me think "o this shit again". The cycle is complete.

BIG ND SWEATY likes this.
  19. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

Just to clarify, you're saying that you'd give this a 4.5/10 AND you think it's the best Faceless album?

Masoo2 likes this.
  20. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

I can understand the comments of this album feeling thrown together, and not 5 years worth of work. I definitely get that, but I still enjoyed it. It's not nearly as epic or cohesive as Autotheism, but I can't justify the hate. I guess i'm not tired of the Keene cleans yet. I'm hoping we can get one more project with a solid lineup in the next few years before The Faceless fully dissolves.

Fuck it, sign me up for an official, "The Michael Keene Project." I'll be the only one waiting in line with my money out :agreed: