The EVH 5150 III Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Brody, May 23, 2013.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Hahaha! I was trying to be informative but I may have been a bit snarky here lol... buy what makes you happy! There's a lot of people on here I'm sure can chime in and say that's a killer combo.

I was honestly just trying to (in my snarky way) make sure you weren't being steered away from buying something you want because of this old wive's tale that 'Amp A' won't sound good unless it's at a 6, or you can't use it as a bedroom amp, or some such crap.

Does my Budda SD80 sound better when it's cranked? Yeah, of course, because it literally makes my balls rattle and I pee a little bit when it's that loud. But it still sounds the same at a 0.5, just without the nut-punch lol.

Two things I will add:

With respect to the clean channel... volume does matter. If you are looking to get breakup, so your clean channel is overdriving slightly or at least really hot (say for SRV type tones), then you either need less wattage or your preamp volume higher (~7 depending on amp). And with some amps the master volume, with the pre volume that high, are still going to be quite loud.

Definitely play with the EQ, because you will have to compensate as certain frequencies are more prevalent at louder volumes, so you will prob have to add back in some bass and treble that is lost at low volumes.

Sogradde likes this.
  2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Honestly, it gets VERY loud before you run out of headroom. I've only "gigged" with mine once, which wasn't really a gig, I was just accompanying a choir and a background recording. I had to turn it way down compared to how I play it at home, and this was in a big auditorium packed with people. :lol:

I think it depends how low you tune as well. I only go as low as C# Standard and occasionally drop B. The low end stays nice and thick while retaining tightness up to gig volumes, I'd say. That said, one person's "tight" is another person's "loose" and flubby. I don't use a djent tone and like to keep quite a bit of bass in my tone. The 50 watt head doesn't disappoint.

The cleans can get really loud as well, and stay clean if you run the gain on that channel at like 4 or below with the volume way up. I also back off the mids a bit on that EQ because I think cleans sound better without so many mids.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Yeah, its a Fender clean so it will have the prototypical higher breakup of around 7+ for preamp and since no power tube distortion you can go at least 7 on the master... however it does lack the magical sweet spot (lol) of true preamp+powertube+rectifier distortion of a true Fender, especially a linear one. But it is close! One of the best cleans for a modern high gain amp IMO.

And spot on about backing off the mids... that gets you one step closer to 60d Fender Tweed and Deluxe range.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  4. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

I guess, scientifically that makes sense. And I understand what you mean when you reference the "sweet spot" of amps like the bassman, princeton and tweed and the power tube distortion. In that way, I agree there is no sweet spot. However, whether it be more due to the speakers, or whatever else, I feel as though the amp doesn't sound as good when played below 9-10'o clock as it does at or above 10 o' clock. The sound just opens up and becomes full bodied to my ear once you get it to that volume. I only have the 1x12 cab, however, Im not sure that having 2 or 4 speakers might make it sound much fuller at a lower volume. Its quite possible.

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yeah, try running it at 10 o'clock through a 4 x 12 with Eminence Governors and Swamp Thangs some time. :lol: It's unbelievably loud.

I've said this for a long time, but sitting down in front of a 412 or putting a smaller cab on top of something really improves the tone you're hearing without having to blast the thing. With a 1 x 12 or horizontal 2 x 12, the sound is directed at your legs, so it takes more volume for it to fill the room and then you hear it properly, which is independent of how it actually sounds right at the source.

mguilherme87 and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  6. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Question: Since the consensus on the 50 Watt EL34 model is that the blue channel is kind of a mess, has anyone figured out any mods to make the blue channel tighter and punchier like it's 6l6 brother? Not identical, just less fat and dark sounding?

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yes, a tubescreamer. Seriously.

8. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I already use a boost in front of all of my amps. I'm talking about an actual mod to the circuit.

9. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

10. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

So what is the method to access the tubes on these boxes? Does front or rear vent panel come off or does the whole chassis need to be slid out?

11. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

You can access all the tubes by removing the front panel. The power tubes are a little harder to reach because they're situated behind the power transformer, but it can be managed. FYI I should be getting a new JJ 12ax7 MG today to try in V1; I'll let y'all know how it sounds. ;)

The906 likes this.
  12. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Schweet. I'm gonna roll a 12at7 into v2. Thanks.

13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

New tube day! :cheers:

I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas so I thought I'd try the new JJ ECC83/12AX7 MG tube that I've been hearing about. Well, it arrived yesterday and while the wife was gone today I tried it cranked.:D

I'm running it in V1 and have tried a lot of different tubes there. This review is mostly regarding the red channel, which I run unboosted. So far, I haven't tried anything that beats a JJ 5751 there, and while this *almost* beats the 5751, it doesn't quite.

Here's what I notice:

The mids with the MG are rich and grindy; full of detail -- very pissed-off sounding. It is a little brighter than the 5751, but barely. Lots of low-end that stays tight, but here is where I think the 5751 has the edge. The 5751 I have provides a little more low-mids and "thump" but stays TIGHT. I can get the same low-end out of the MG by turning the amp's bass knob up a bit more, but it doesn't stay as tight as the 5751. Overall gain-level of the two tubes is roughly the same. I also have a JJ ECC803 tube which has the really long plates, and that one is the brightest of the three with the richest, most detailed mids, but the least low-mid/low-end aggression.

The MG is kind of in the middle ground between the three. All of them sound better than a standard JJ 12AX7 in V1 which is what the amp comes with. I have also tried several Tung Sol 12ax7s in V1 and have never quite been satisfied with the result. I think they sound marginally better than a JJ 12AX7 but the three other JJs I own beat the Tung Sols every time. There's a slightly thinner tone out of the Tung Sols, I've found.

14. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

So after playing on the red channel for distortion pretty much since i've owned the thing I'm starting to experiment with the blue channel more. Love how thick the blue channel is and how it removes some of the highs on the red channel. I do want to try it with a tubescreamer boost as well. What is everyone using? The Ibanez tubescreamer? Or is it the Maxon OD? How are you guys setting it and it doesn't add back in those highs from the red channel does it?

15. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I like to use a Maxon OD-808 in front. I usually have the gain and eq settings all at 5 so that the blue and green channels work well together without much volume jump (I have the old version without concentric knobs) and I really like the sound I get from the blue channel for a fat, slightly lower gain lead sound compared to the red channel.

If I'm not worried about the green channel, I'll sometimes push the gain, bass, and mids up to 6 or 7 but leave the treble at 5. Similar fat lead sound, just "more" of it.

Even with fairly high settings on the 808 tone knob, you won't get the same harshness as you can get from the red channel. It'll get bright and brash if you dime the tone and use a high setting on the amp's treble knob, but it's still a different character overall.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  16. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've used a Maxon 808 and Digitech Bad Monkey on mine and they both sound great. I use them both the usual way.... gain 0, tone 12'o clock, and level maxed. There are a few songs where i back down the level a third or so for SUPER tight palm mutes, so the level can become a tightness control. Other than that it's on full.
    I don't play my blue channel without my boost. It really makes it scream and really punchy in the palm mutes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

The results I get may be a bit different than what most people get, because I run an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop and it greatly shapes my tone. Namely, I've got it set to cut 500hz a bit, and a slight boost to low-mids/high-bass at 125hz, and another slight boost at 2khz for grindy mids. I also cut 16khz which makes fizz disappear. The amp is at a whole 'nother level with the EQ pedal engaged. Epic tone.

For brutal stuff (which is predominantly what I play), the red channel is still the BOSS. No boost necessary. In fact, it always sounds worse when boosted, except for the occasional leads on the neck pickup to cut some flub. For rhythms though, no boost. They dialed that circuit PERFECTLY for my tastes.

On the blue channel, I use an MXR M77 (Custom Badass Modified OD). I find that I like it best with the "bump" switch activated, which shifts the pedal's EQ closer to what a Tubescreamer would do. This makes leads sound unbelievably fluid and buttery. Try as I might though, I've never been able to get a rhythm tone out of the blue channel that makes me as happy as I am with the red channel.

For live playing I only use the green and red channels, and idealize my settings on the green channel for cleans. If I need mid-gain tones I roll off my guitar's volume knob and use the red channel.

18. TheShreddinHand

Well, ordered the 808 so will report back. Are you guys tap dancing when switching channels to green and unboosted or is anyone using a switcher that changes channels and turns pedals on and off? If so, what ya using?

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I use Gsp 1101 through MIDI in so not tap dancing at all. Awesome combo

20. TheShreddinHand

GSP turns on and off pedals in front of the amp?