The EVH 5150 III Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Brody, May 23, 2013.

1. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Just curious what does that pedal do that the 5153 cant??

2. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Well....I have the EL34 version....and figured I could have TIGHT(er) option with the TM.

EDIT: I do love this amp.

3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Haha all good was just curious seemed a bit redundant but hey never hurts to try. The loop on them is super clean too so would likely take it well

4. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Thanks, totally valid question and I left out the EL34 detail.

5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Does the 50w 5153 have the same transformer as the 100w?

Same thing for the El34 50w?

6. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

I just bought the Tight Metal jr. the other day and have found that it sounds AMAZING in the effects return of the 5150iii! I originally had it in front of the amp and wasnt a huge fan. it sounded surgical and sharp, more suited for like Pantera or some Slipknot tones. Thin and bright. in the effects loop, it sounds so much more like the actual amp disotortion of the 5150. The noise gate is wicked helpful as well! You wont regret it

The906 likes this.
  7. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I've had the 100 watt for about a year. Picked up the LBX and the 50 W w/ concentric pots last week.
    44119822_10117880147363244_8846259030499262464_n.jpg

aqa, narad, Mwoit and 6 others like this.
  8. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Do the 5153s have a volume 'sweet spot' where it would be desirable to use an attenuator with your cab to get the best tone?

I play at bedroom levels, and the master volume has worked fine for me. I wonder though if I invested in a Captor, OX, Power Station, etc. would I get better tone? I'm not in a position where I can just crank it up to test it out myself unfortunately.

In my case I'm asking about the EL34 50w in particular, but I'm sure the 6L6 50w and other models would be fair comparisons.

9. mguilherme87

The amp (like many tube amps) sounds really good once you get the volume up at least past 9 o'clock. Anything below that and it just doesnt sound the same, I find myself compensating for the dark muffled tone by cranking the presence and messing with the EQ. It isnt necessary, but if you have the extra cash to spend, then go for it and get the attenuator. Otherwise, it isnt necessary.

rexbinary likes this.
  10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Damn.

11. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Yeah the cash needed is an issue if the volume needs to be over 9. The Captor is really affordable, but I've seen vids where it only lets you crank the volume to around 2.5 instead of a hair past 1 with it's fixed -20dB. The Power Station, and especially the OX are expensive. I'll probably just stick with the master volume for now. Maybe I'll splurge some day when I have some extra cash. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    mguilherme87 likes this.
  12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I have not played the EL-34 version. But here's what I have to say about the 50 watt 6L6 head. It sounds AMAZING at low volumes. All the way down to "barely audible." Sure, it sounds different when set that way. I do run an EQ in the loop. IME, no amp sounds as good without one as it does with one. I don't run a boost in my amp either, although the blue channel can use one sometimes. The red channel doesn't need a boost with most "metal" pickups. Honestly, I play at low volume most of the time, but can play as loud as I want to, pretty much whenever I want (house out in the country). The loudest I ever set it is 9 o'clock -- and that's skull-crushing volume, pretty much. As great as it sounds, I've never had the thought "I HAVE to have it this loud to be happy." It's the speakers doing their thing at that volume, not some magic going on in the power section. I wouldn't buy an attenuator for it even if it only cost $20. Totally unneeded.

FILTHnFEAR and The906 like this.
  13. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Yeah man it sounds great at low volumes, no complaints. I've just been reading about people using attenuators to get the best sound out of their amps and it got me curious. The stuff I have seen was all with non 5150 amps though. Maybe I should spend more time playing than reading. :shred:

mguilherme87 likes this.
  14. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

I ve found that the omph and the mighty mids of this amp arrive past 3 and the sweet spot is to me between 4 and 5, past noon nothing really happens like these old peaveys. But I have the chance to own a torpedio studio. I was so sad when my sound guy was coming to the scene to reduce the volume bellow 2. The beast sounded like a pedal in a solid state combo

mguilherme87 likes this.
  15. mguilherme87

Agreed completely, I think the amp really sounds good at these spots.

16. mguilherme87

Holy mother of gain! Thats one of the nicest amp collections I've ever seen!

Dineley likes this.
  17. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Being only 50 watts, how's the headroom for the low end and clean tones at band volumes on the 5153 hold up?

I still want a nice thick low end and "clean" cleans at higher volumes?

What say you?

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Science/reality break...

The Peavey and EVH amps will produce the exact same sound from whenever it breaks threshold (basically somewhere a hair over zero) all the way up to around ~80-85%. That is not an opinion. These are preamp distortion amplifiers only. The exact reason the amp starts sounding like shit above around 80% is you start to get power amp distortion, which you dont want. Hence, there is no sweet spot for these types of amps.

There is a sweet spot for speakers, based on how many and air volume, cab design, etc. You are not going to get your 4x12 speakers moving at a 1 on your master volume. This is why a Marshall sounds "better" cranked. Because it is literally blasting your face off, thumping your chest, and moving a metric f-ton of air in the process. Buuuut, if you put a 1.5" speaker (your bose/Beats/etc headphones) up against your ear with that amp, whoa, whaaaat?, yeah, magically a couple watts sounds amazing again. Again, no sweet spot due to the amp.

You can compensate with an attenuator, adding bass and treble to add some thump and clarity. It is all about perception.

But there is no inherent sweet spot on any of the SSO approved amps. A Fender Bassman, Princeton, or 50's Tweed... yes. Why, because they rely on power amp distortion as well as preamp... so you need to get the power tubes cranked to (depending on the amp) about a 6 (<-- sweet spot!) to get the proper sound. Those amps literally sound different when not cranked.

tl;dr Black Winters

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    sirbuh, rexbinary, NickS and 3 others like this.
  19. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

^^^I agree. Especially the TL/DR part.

Honestly, I can dial in a really quiet tone with both my EVH and 6505, and if I get real close to my 4 x 12 I'll be damned if it doesn't sound just like it does when it's cranked.

20. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I knew I had read something similar to this about the preamp providing the distortion, but I wasn't sure how to ask. Thanks so much for sharing this information. Here I was shopping attenuators when I have a 5153 AND Black Winters. I feel so much shame second guessing my gear like that. :(

mguilherme87 likes this.