The epic battle begins with this weeks episode of...Studio Wars!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Djentliman, Nov 21, 2015.

Which room will win this weeks battle?

1. Room 1 with the snazzy fireplace

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Room 2 with the dapper mic room

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Djentliman

Djentliman wants a diff name!

Hey guys!

So it's that time of year again. We all hate the dreaded move but sometimes you just gotta do it! I am very excited to get an actual house this time around so I have more flexibilty! Anyways, The point of this thread is to get down to the nitty gritty technical nerd stuff of the two rooms that I have available to me for my studio.

Annnnd our first contestant....

Room 1 is 13 ft by 13 ft with a fireplace in one corner, a 6ft wide by 3 ft deep closet in the other corner(this causes part of the room to be 13 ft long by 10 ft wide), two doors, two windows, and 10 ft high ceilings. This room has more character which makes me feel as if this room would be best for creativity. (both rooms are equipped with original wood floors from the 40's)

[​IMG]

This is the best panorama I could get of the room. My phone does not like corners for some reason...

[​IMG]

Annnnnd last but certainly not least...

Room 2 is a 13ft long by 10 ft wide room with 2 doors, one window and a more conventional in-the-wall type closet. This room aslo has 10 ft ceilings. The doors are located on opposite sides of the room kind of like a faux hallway deal. This room's closet would serve better as a vocal booth because of its walk in qualities and having much less shelve space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Questions outside of the poll...

• Where would you place the desk? (6 ft by 4 ft wide desk)
    • Where would be the best placement of treatment?
    • Would you consider Ragtime Dandies to be a good song?

Tune in next week to find out these questions!

2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Room 2's dimensions will work well.

It has a longer wall rather than a complete square. The Rectangle is preferable as it will allow you to place your work station on the 10 foot wall, centered, and then use the 13 ' length to allow your bass frequencies to more fully develop.

Using a combination of absorption and diffusion, you'll get the best functionality out of this room. Same thing with the Vocal Booth/Closet, which I would estimate that they'll recommend apsorption only for such a small space. I would strongly recommend getting the free room analysis from Auralex, it's free, and well worth it. A copy of mine is in this thread:
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/recording-studio/303650-can-vocal-room-too-dead.html

From there, you can source similar materials for less expense as I did, see the thread and further links for those sources.

An area rug, and good curtains such as the ones I found at Overstock.com would be useful as well. Again, links within the thread above.

3. Djentliman

Djentliman wants a diff name!

Thanks for replying man!

I ended up choosing the fireplace room as my studio because when i tried place the desk on either wall, the doors got in the way (i have a pretty big desk a 6' by 3') so my only option would have been to put it on the long wall which would not have been ideal. So I moved the desk into the fireplace room with it on the window accross from the main door. This puts the closet on my right giving me good access to it as a vocal booth as well as giving the bass the most room to flesh out with 13 feet behind it (remember the rooms are the same size practically except for the extra cutout for the door to the next room.) I also heard having a more irregular room is best. The fireplace wall is slanted and the closet doesnt extend all the way to the ceiling giving this room the winner for that one. Is all my madness worth it?

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Great, hope it works out for you.
    Just treat it with a good analysis, and find similar products ala the links that I provided, and you should have a great sounding room. You've got the floors for it, not get the best out of the whole room.