The Eddie Van Halen Megathread: All things EVH (RIP)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Tbh I've had 4 frankenstrats made from bodies and necks I got from Warmoth and other places, and by the time you have paid for them and for decent hardware, you have spent as much if not more than a brand new EVH striped series or a Kramer. All that before you even think of paying out for someone to do a top notch paint and relic on it too.

Makes me chuckle too that the places on ebay etc offering to customise a brand new striped series in to a frankenstrat for you are still charging total price for the guitar and custom work that invalidates your warranty, £500 and up more than Fender are charging for an actual brand new EVH Frankie!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  2. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

One of the coolest things I've ever heard on guitar is the intro riff to Poundcake. I spent a lot of time trying to get that down and play the correct harmonics (all the covers I've seen are wrong). Finally tabbed the thing this summer. For the last few years I've started to think Eddie was the best electric guitar player ever. I was never a huge Van Halen fan but Eddie had an incredible (perfect) sense of melody, was extremely technically oriented and still played in a very loose manner. I do not really know of anyone else like that tbh.

3. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

I bought my EVH's for around half price of new. Could never get a Warmoth build for a price like this. Not to mention later the resale value is basically none.

Got the BW one last year because it was a bargain really and I paid like 420€ shipped and with a nice Gigbag. One of my best guitars. But I always wanted the Bumblebee and this year I manage to get one for 500€ shipped. The BW one sounds and plays better (it's a bit more warm and i can have lower action without chocking the Floyd) but I use the Bumblebee the most now since the BW is getting Modded into a HS mean machine and its getting ready next week :)

Both are Rock/Metal machines with incredible necks and flawless fretwork. Eddie knew what he was approving.

[​IMG]

4. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Nice guitars, specially the bumblebee
    Tbh you hit the nail on the head with a warmoth self build having chuff all resale value, you'll never resell it for anywhere near what it cost to build in the first place so you are better off with a real EVH one with the bonus they are lovely guitars for the money

mpexus likes this.
  5. bloodocean

bloodocean SS.org Regular

The Balance album is underrated. Some bangers on that one.

6. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

van hagar has some burners

USMarine75, Louis Cypher and Necky379 like this.
  7. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

What...48 hours later and this still hasn't sunk in yet! Anyone else? Hard to believe. Kinda like how I felt when the news about Malcolm and Lemmy filtered through.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

A Different Kind of Truth was a fucking banger of an album. Way heavier than I remember it being.

9. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

I remember that last year around this time there were rumors of Ed not being well, and people were saying things like"he won't make it past Christmas, etc". Usually I just chalk that kind of stuff up to internet BS, but there was something that made me think there was some truth to it (maybe something Roth said, I can't recall exactly).
    So I can't say I was totally surprised by this.
    But it still doesn't make it less of a loss.

IbanezDaemon and BenjaminW like this.
  10. cult-leader-of-djent

cult-leader-of-djent SS.org Regular

Man, fuck 2020. EVH was a true guitar hero. An Idol to many and to see him pass away in such a shit fucked year is absolute lunacy.

When I was 12 in middle school I do recall reading an article about him having tongue cancer. I remember the article saying something about him always having a metal pick in his mouth? Any the fuck who...we lost a legend, y'all. It's sad time bois.

11. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

To be fair, that was a coping mechanism to distract from the fact that the dude was a chain smoker from basically the moment he hit puberty.

brector and BenjaminW like this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Anyone else kind of bummed he didn't even reveal all of his tone secrets yet?

BenjaminW likes this.
  13. Spaced Out Ace

He theorized it was the metal pick picking up EMF in his recording studio, which I mean... maybe? Could've just as well have been eating some bad red snapper.

14. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Ain't Talkin' Bout Love really opened up the flood gates for me in terms of tone and gear because 13 year old me at the time didn't know that flanger pedals existed until I learned that song.

I also read an article today on UG that talked about Eddie's gear, and it says that Eddie's Marshalls were almost entirely stock.

15. Spaced Out Ace

One key it doesn't talk about is that he didn't just use greenbacks. He also used some odd JBLs. Johan Segeberg (spelling?) did a video on it.

16. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I've never thought about the speakers he used since I had always assumed they were greenbacks and then whatever they were during the Hagar days before he made the Celestion EVH speakers. Will definitely check out the Johan Segeborn video on JBL speakers.

17. Spaced Out Ace

He mixed the two. I think he just used Greenbacks until his signatures (which are also greenbacks).

18. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Just watched the video, and his combo of the two is very spot on. When I compare Johan's playing to the isolated track for Panama, Johan's tone is a little bit brighter than Eddie's and Eddie's is a bit warmer/full.

19. Spaced Out Ace

I don't remember, but did Johan have a variac on his? Assuming his studio rig was similar to the live variant, Eddie was also slaving his Marshalls more than likely to some solid state H&H power amps.

Also: The weird thing is, despite having an FX loop (he did the slave setup to have a sort of effects loop with an old Marshall), he still used the H&H solid state power amps with the 5150 III, and likely the Soldano and Peavey amps as well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  20. Spaced Out Ace

Anyone know what gauges Eddie used? I know that he used a pretty odd set on one of his "D2H" (drop 2 hell bridge) guitars. 8-11-14-22-32-56; (high to low) F-C-G#-D#-#A-D#/B. Anyone like 8s at all? I could see using 8s in E, but D#? Holy cow.

If you have the 2012 issue with him on the cover for A Different Kind of Truth, it is in the section talking about the gear he and his son are using.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020