The Eddie Van Halen Megathread: All things EVH (RIP)

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really hope he patched things up with Michael Anthony before he passed away

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a couple more obscure songs from the discog for those that want to know what made him so amazing.

Heavy AF for 1981. His rhythm playing was his most underrated gift.

The chorus and post-chorus are 10/10. And two of my favorite EVH "tricks" from this song are the twister (2:25-2:45 and the infinite bend (2:45-2:59 and then 3:02-3:17). And that outro...

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely one of the biggest influences on me and reasons i still play guitar today. I'm so fucking over 2020..
Riff In Peace. Often imitated, never replicated. One of the best there is, was, or ever will be.

NickS

Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
Here's a couple more obscure songs from the discog for those that want to know what made him so amazing.

Heavy AF for 1981. His rhythm playing was his most underrated gift.

The chorus and post-chorus are 10/10. And two of my favorite EVH "tricks" from this song are the twister (2:25-2:45 and the infinite bend (2:45-2:59 and then 3:02-3:17). And that outro...

Humans Being has been my favorite VH song since it came out. The tone right at the beginning sucks you in, then gets even better when the bass and drums come in and Eddie tightens the riff up rhythmically. And the bridge/solo, and outro, are
two of my favorite moments in all of music!

And, to me anyways, Sammy sounds great on this song!

Last edited:

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score
You're gonna make me fuckin cry...

Man, I did a couple times. I watched the Michael Palmisano stream of Live Without a Net last night. That was rough. And then this morning again when I woke up.

Yeah, if any of you want to cry, go read Valerie's statement on her Twitter. I read it to my girlfriend, and had to stop repeatedly to get through it without crying.

Yeah, that was brutal.

I've seen/heard more than a few stories about Ed just being a really awesome human. I think he got the same joy out of that that he did from playing and he genuinely seemed to care about other people.

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score
Humans Being has been my favorite VH song since it came out. The tone right at the beginning sucks you in, then gets even better when the bass and drums come in and Eddie tightens the riff up rhythmically. And the bridge/solo are
one of my favorite moments in all of music!

And, to me anyways, Sammy sounds great on this song!

I love that song. I liked the Hagar era lyrics a lot better than Roth's pubescent garbage. Both of their personalities turn me off though. But you don't listen to VH for either of them.

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Speaking of Dimebag, I think it's fitting that Frankenstrat be buried with Eddie in the same way Bumblebee was buried with Dime.

Is that the plan? I was wondering if Dime's estate would donate one of Dime's guitar's to be buried with Eddie to return the gesture Eddie extended to Dime.

In any case, what a loss EVH's passing is to the guitar world. It speaks volumes that he was only 65. The way the virtuosos talk about Eddie, you'd think he must have been 200 years old to have the influence he did.

Here's an old quote from Russell Allen (the famed vocalist of Symphony X) to give some idea of Eddie's influence:

"This was the first record I ever bought, Van Halen 1...when I first heard that guitar sound from Eddie Van Halen, it just changed my life. I wanted to be Eddie Van Halen. Actually, I didn't even want to do the singing thing, I wanted to be him. So I was just practicing Eruption all the time, just like so many other kids back then who he inspired."

So it isn't just guitarists we're talking about here. How much of rock and metal music did EVH influence through other channels? Producers trying to nail his sound, vocalists and composers trying to nail that Van Halen 'edge' to his music? The list goes on and on.

The man was a monument to the genre. What a loss, but should we all be so lucky...what a life!

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I wasn't the biggest fan of Van Halen mainly cause I and none of my friends had their albums although I did persuade my friend's dad to let me listen to "Van Halen I" one morning in his sitting room. The man was a huge influence for everything guitar and has left behind a legacy.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
French 24 tv channel was on and they had an entire retrospective of EVH's life. I was supposed to be paying attention to a medium-high ranking government official who was talking and he saw that I wasn't... saw what I was looking at... and he said "ah your American guitar god Van Halen died, what a tragedy"... and while he said this he mimed some air guitar with his hands. :)

Glad to see no matter where you are in the world you properly respect EVH as the guitar god that he is!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Last edited:

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My wife knows how important Eddie and VH is to me and my guitar playing and has known how bad I wanted the EVH Frankie since it was announced and I have been putting it off, money and covid, job uncertainty blah blah.... she told me today to just order it, she reasoned it by saying they will prob sell out everwhere and sky rocket in price, especially used prices.... Hard to argue so fcuk it lifes too short, so I got one coming tomorrow. The Frankenstrat has always been my fav guitar the number of pics I had up of it and Eddie with it when I was a kid learning guitar and how badly I wanted to be him, obviously I never came close to even 1% of his talent! But I never realised how much of an impact he had on my life and how important he was to such a huge part of my life (guitar playing and music) till today now he is gone..... Thank you Eddie

NickS

Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
The local classic rock station here in Seattle, KZOK, played 6 or 7 hours of just Van Halen yesterday upon news of his passing, interlaced with interview snippets and stories about him. Pretty cool I thought.

And yeah, I've been on a big Strat kick lately anyways, so I think I also need to frankenStrat something here soon.

Addie5150

Amidst the chaos
Reaction score
The moment when i heard that Outro riff in Fire in the hole and came to understand that was tuned down to B was the moment in life that i pulled the plug on getting myself a 7 string guitar .
This is going to hurt awhile