The Eddie Van Halen Megathread: All things EVH (RIP)

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone around these parts a good melody writer and can cop a decent DLR or Hagar?

I have 10 originals - EVH sounding (and tbh Whitesnake and one AIC). I’ve also reached out to some actual high-end talent to guest on solos and such (big name YT studs). But I need to have some quality product before they’ll put their name to it. For comps think Girl Gone Bad and House of Pain era rhythmically. I’m also open if any of you would like to guest. In the end I’ll be fronting legit $$$ to make this a professional production old dudes with long hair driving 1986 IROCs with T Tops can be proud of.

I’m in southern VA otherwise these days I’m sure we can do online.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One thing worth mentioning is Ed doesn't completely avoid the 'black keys' during the bulk of the song. I think the video overall is good, though.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Tl;dw version: ESP was ghost building stuff for Kramer.

I mean, isn't that their entire history? ESP I thought was just partscasters of other companies that fit together and then rebadged under their own name even thought it wasn't their own official product. Then they moved into producing their own stuff and become an independently designed guitar.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, isn't that their entire history? ESP I thought was just partscasters of other companies that fit together and then rebadged under their own name even thought it wasn't their own official product. Then they moved into producing their own stuff and become an independently designed guitar.
I'm not sure, but I believe ESP were ghost building the other way around. (ie, others were using them to build for them, and slapping a logo, such as Kramer, on it.) At any rate, ESP were not the only company making stuff for Kramer. I believe ESP made the Dragon for EVH, didn't they?

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep. IIRC George Lynch's relationship started with ESP because he was previously using Kramer and they had that connection.
I think EVH sort of worked the other way around. My memory is that I read somewhere they had made the Dragon for him, and then he went to Kramer, possibly because of ESP/Kramer making a couple necks for him, and then going from there.

ArtDecade

John Bohlinger's Miyagi-Fang Karate
Reaction score

Kramer was the king of partscasters. I guess it is odd to think that they outsourced to another company for partscasters.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I believe ESP were ghost building the other way around. (ie, others were using them to build for them, and slapping a logo, such as Kramer, on it.) At any rate, ESP were not the only company making stuff for Kramer. I believe ESP made the Dragon for EVH, didn't they?

Kramer was the king of partscasters. I guess it is odd to think that they outsourced to another company for partscasters.

Yeah, I might have it backwards between Kramer or ESP being the OG Partscaster company before establishing themselves as an entity; I know it was one of them, and both USA branches were out of NJ so that doesn't make it any more easy to remember :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I might have it backwards between Kramer or ESP being the OG Partscaster company before establishing themselves as an entity; I know it was one of them, and both USA branches were out of NJ so that doesn't make it any more easy to remember :lol:
I think Kramer had an exclusive deal for Floyd Rose bridges. I am curious if ESP had access to that or what. Kramer had a different locking bridge design in use, but basically that fell apart because the designer essentially wasn't receptive to the idea of fine tuners by Eddie. After that, Kramer seemingly shitcanned em, contracted Floyd, and even "made" him a signature guitar. All because he was receptive to the idea of fine tuners.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the US pretty much everyone was using ESP made bodies and necks: Kramer, Schecter, Pensa-Suhr, etc. If it was a bolt-on super Strat in the 80's, they made at least a part of it. Back then the machinery for making guitar bodies and necks at scale was very, very big and expensive and you just didn't have the amount of people used to running them, we're talking multi-carvers, copy-carvers, 3 way mills, etc. outside the big legacy brands like Gibson or Fender, so you either bought your stuff in from ESP (or later, brands like Warmoth or Mighty Mite) or you did it entirely by hand, which were shops like Jackson.

That's one of the reasons a lot of the brands that came about around then share headstocks and certain design cues. One customer would order something and then ESP would turn around and sell it to another shop.