The Devin Townsend Supermegathread!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by keithb, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Such as that Peavey Flying V....

2. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Ssshhh, we don't talk about the Peavey V.

But in all honesty, just look at his new Framus V, that thing is even more massive and he seems to love it (granted: probably because of the smoke machine and lasers). But he doesn't love it enough for Framus to make it a signature.

3. ppinkham

ppinkham SS.org Regular

Peavey screwed that relationship up, big time. Devin was very happy with the V at first, but Peavey started fighting him on certain aspects (they wanted the single coil, he didn't, etc.), and showed no real interest in developing the tele-style guitar he initially signed on to make. He's still very proud of the guitar, though.

The Framus V was kingdof that company's way of one-upping Peavey, but it is more of a novelty thing. He still uses his prototype Peavey V (the white one) live.

I'm actually surprised the new sig Framus guitars look the way they do. I was fully expecting that tele-design he's always wanted.

4. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

Probably because Framus doesn't want to deviate (too far) from the body shapes they are known for either

5. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained Casual music entusiast

I really want to share this!

I've become a large Devin Fanboy over the last few years. I first heard about Devin when he put out Deconstruction, and from there I slowly discovered the rest of his workings. I've bought several limited edition versions of his releases, but there was always one release that I wanted to buy but couldn't find anywhere...

Until a few days ago!

I just picked up this badboy from the post office this morning! :D

[​IMG]

6. Tesla

Tesla Augmented User

By A Thread is amazing. I attended all four shows...I'll probably never experience something so intimate and awesome again.

If you can find your way through the secret easter eggs, you'll find me in the queue cam sticking my finger up my nose when the camera looks at me. My 15 minutes of fame.

7. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Great! Next pick this up...

[​IMG] :agreed:

8. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

that queue was ridiculous

9. Tesla

Tesla Augmented User

It was pretty much hijacked by his forum users. Started with about 5 at the front of the queue hours early then for some reason it turned into about 30 cutting their way in. Every night. Was a bit annoying as it meant they all got to be in the front row every night and no one else could get the chance.

Same thing happened with The Retinal Circus. You can see all the same people at the front row looking uninterested. Dev even mocks one of them mid song for looking miserable. I eventually found my way to the front but they were all standing with bags at their feet and arms interlinked. Couldn't get through. Very annoying.

10. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

I managed to get my way right to the front at the Retinal Circus gig. Unfortunately I was way over to the left near where Jed played. I got to have a sneak peak at the set list before hand and a look at some of the gear. Gave me a semi

11. caspian

caspian wanderer

My relationship with Townsend is a weird one in that I absolutely love almost all of Ocean Machine (one of my top 10 all time albums) but with the rest of his catalog I'm indifferent at best, and actively despise it at worst. There's something about Voices in The Fan, Life, Hide Nowhere, Funeral, Regulator< Bastard etc etc that just gets me though, and 15 odd years of thrashing the hell out of those tunes hasn't stopped them still appealing to me and speaking to me immensely.

But I've given city a shot (5/10 at best), most of his solo stuff, and it just leaves me cold. Bit of a production showcase, sure, but the wackiness, the occasional super overwrought bit of singing (hi there Death of Music), don't really like his heavier tunes, yeah it's strange. But then I put Voices in The Fan on for the millionth time after I've had a good surf and then none of that's remembered, as I'm singing my box off to it while the song plays in the car.

12. The_Mop

The_Mop Want to make $60?

I think this is because his management is based in the UK.

13. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I'm sorta with you on my feelings for him. I absolutely love his older solo albums (Ocean Machine, Terria, AE) And some of his albums really do bore me. If you haven't checked Terria and Accelerated Evolution I think you should, you might just find things you like.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I am surprised you don't like any of Infinity, some of that is in the same vein as Ocean Machine. The last three tracks all remind me of Voices in the Fan, for example (apart from the goofy funk guitar in the beginning of Noisy Pink Bubbles). But unfortunately, yeah, he never really came back to that level of seriousness. "Deadhead" is one of the few in the same general tonal vein. I would try it if you haven't heard it, at least. None of the rest of that album is comparable. "The Way Home" off Addicted is very much in the style of Ocean Machine. "Numbered" and "Awake" off that album are also quite good. The first 7 tracks are all pretty goofy, though.

The "Ghost" album might also be worth listening to as it's one of the few that's not silly, but it's not as muscular as all the songs you mention liking and it's a bit insubstantial.

15. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Ghost to me is a divine exception. Could have come from a completely different artist for how different it is from several other albums by him, and it's absolutely amazing IMO.

Same with Casualties of Cool, but to a lesser extent.

16. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Does anybody know if there's any transcriptions/tabs of the Casualties stuff out there? Haven't found anything yet but I think I can recall Devin saying it's in E standard, at least.

It's mostly the intro to Flight I'm wondering about but it's hard to figure out from the album.

17. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

18. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

[​IMG]

My reaction when Anneke said that she's been singing her heart out for the new album from Devy... Does she have to be on absolutely every one of these new albums?!

19. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Because she sounds awesome and fits his stuff very well.

Probably because he asked as well.

20. Tesla

Tesla Augmented User

Everyone has their opinion, but SHYYYUUUUUUUUT UP. :fawk: