The Dear Hunter

JSanta

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love metal and heavier music a lot, but I cannot stop listening to these guys. Prog is probably my favorite genre of music, and I think these guys are doing something really special.

I'm not sure if there is anyone else listening to these guys, but if you enjoy prog-rock, I think you should take a listen to a few of the YouTube clips and explore their catalog. The singer Casey has a really powerful voice, and I really enjoy the instrumentation and the stories these guys are creating with their music.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
The color spectrum was a very iconic moment in my music listening life, it made me really, REALLY understand that good music is good music, regardless of genre.

The Things That Hide Away has made me cry a few times.

jerm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just bought Act IV a couple weeks ago.

Really in love with this band.

Doug N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I kind of cringe when other people ask this question about bands, but I'll do it anyway.

Where do I start with them? Just at their first release and get rolling through their discography? Thanks.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Just read through their wiki, pretty apparent that I should start with Act I, right?

Honestly it is all good. I started with Act V and it is still my favorite. I don't think he has any bad songs to be honest....

mike0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love The Dear Hunter - they are easily one of my favorite bands. Hearing Casey's progression as a songwriter/composer, lyricist, and musician over the years has been a real treat. To be completely honest, as phenomenal as The Color Spectrum is I'm really glad that he decided to go back and finish up the story from the first three albums. Definitely one of the best sequential albums with a constant narrative out there, if not the best (that I'm aware of at least). It's just such dense and beautiful music... I'm still finding new things here and there in the older albums after so many years of listening.

Just read through their wiki, pretty apparent that I should start with Act I, right?

I would recommend starting with Act I; however, The Color Spectrum and Migrant aren't a bad place to start either, as there's no narrative to follow and feature more straightforward songs, although still spectacular in their own right. You can't go wrong with any of it really, but I would suggest starting with Act I if you want to dig into those albums.

JSanta

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I started with Act III, and just kind of went all over with them. I will go a week of just listening to Acts I-V, or like last week, listen to nothing but The Color Spectrum.

The music from album to album holds its own, so you can really start anywhere. But if you enjoy Act IV for instance, then yes, go back and listen to all of them and try to piece the story together.

shaynedepugh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've sort of rediscovered them here and there over the last few years, but finally hearing Act IV is what ended up getting me super into the band. I feel like now I can appreciate all of their albums a lot more, although I think Act IV & V are my personal favorites.

jerm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup, they're all amazing album. People tend to like Act II and Act IV the most.

Can't go wrong either way.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Love this band. I wasn't super into Act V, but I, II, and IV are masterpieces, IMO. What amazes me the most is how prolific these guys are. Writing that much diverse music that all stays original and inventive is insane.

otisct20

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ive seen them live four times. Theyre absolutely incredible live. I honestly cant think of any band i love more than this one.

JSanta

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A more "pop" offering, but I love this song:

Eden

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They're touring with Coheed and Cambria right now, right? I'm gonna get the chance to see them life on May 16th, so I'm in need of getting started listening to them

JSanta

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They're touring with Coheed and Cambria right now, right? I'm gonna get the chance to see them life on May 16th, so I'm in need of getting started listening to them

They are touring with Coheed and Cambria right now. The videos posted in this thread I think provide a great introduction to the band.

JSanta

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In other news I just got a message from either someone in the band or whomever manages their Facebook account and they said The Dear Hunter will be reissuing their first three Act CDs on physical media!!!!!

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Man I've been listening to ACT1-3 for ages now and I didn't even know that 4 and 5 were out until recently, seriously been about 80% of what I have listened to in the last few months and I actually think that 'waves' might be one of the best songs ever written.