The Dear Hunter-Act IV

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's up on Spotify now! I'm not even done my first listen and it's already probably AOTY for me. Already lots of callbacks to previous Acts and just fantastic music all the way through.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
It's up on Spotify now! I'm not even done my first listen and it's already probably AOTY for me. Already lots of callbacks to previous Acts and just fantastic music all the way through.

Its such an awesome album! I'd even go as far to say that they have the best singer in rock right now.

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Its such an awesome album! I'd even go as far to say that they have the best singer in rock right now.
Seriously, not only is his voice absolutely amazing, but the harmonies and choral arrangements he does are beautiful. I really think The Dear Hunter are one of those bands that will be looked back on as one of the great bands of this era. They strike me as a band that will never get the popularity they deserve now because they are so far from any trends, but their sound is timeless and the songwriting and storytelling is absolutely insane.

fogcutter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seriously, not only is his voice absolutely amazing, but the harmonies and choral arrangements he does are beautiful. I really think The Dear Hunter are one of those bands that will be looked back on as one of the great bands of this era. They strike me as a band that will never get the popularity they deserve now because they are so far from any trends, but their sound is timeless and the songwriting and storytelling is absolutely insane.

Totally agree. Regardless, myself and my wife (who is a total non-musician) have been loving their stuff for years now. :hbang:

mike0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
loving the album, been listening to it non-stop. though i have to be honest, in terms of it being a part of the Acts i'm only slightly let down. the album as a whole is amazing, but in terms of conveying the same consistent old-timey feel that the previous Acts did it falls a little short in my eyes. songs like King of Swords and Wait (both of which i adore) just don't seem to fit in with the early-1900s vibe of the rest of the story, and sound more like what could be found on the Color Spectrum. i'll give it a little slack though, to the best of my knowledge this is the first Act album that they wrote as a whole band. overall just a minor gripe of course, this album really did blow me away.

Casey's voice on Rebirth and At the End of the Earth gave me chills, and his arrangement skills only get better and better

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
loving the album, been listening to it non-stop. though i have to be honest, in terms of it being a part of the Acts i'm only slightly let down. the album as a whole is amazing, but in terms of conveying the same consistent old-timey feel that the previous Acts did it falls a little short in my eyes. songs like King of Swords and Wait (both of which i adore) just don't seem to fit in with the early-1900s vibe of the rest of the story, and sound more like what could be found on the Color Spectrum. i'll give it a little slack though, to the best of my knowledge this is the first Act album that they wrote as a whole band. overall just a minor gripe of course, this album really did blow me away.

Casey's voice on Rebirth and At the End of the Earth gave me chills, and his arrangement skills only get better and better
I think that may be intentional. While it's still not the correct time period for songs like King of Swords, the time period of the story should now be in the 1920s. While I haven't yet really dug into the story of Act IV, I feel like musically it seems to conveying like a "Roarin' 20s" kinda feel, which I think will fit in with where the story is going now.