the chronicles of a 7 string conversion...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Elysian, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elysian

Elysian Banned

well, i had this old 94 RG470 body laying around... its been laying around for a long long long long time, and i decided i'd finally do something with it... initially i was just going to strip all the paint, give it a contoured neck heel ala the RG570 of the same year, and paint it... but i decided to go a little further than that... since it doesn't have the contoured heel, it makes it a good candidate for an AANJ... well i noticed something while i was checking out the body 1 day... the dimensions of the 6 string RG's are identical to the dimensions of the 7 string RG except for pickup routing, neck pocket routing, and trem routing... i realized if i routed the neck pocket to the same shape as my RG7421's and gave it an AANJ, i could make this body another 7 string... well i don't really like trems, never use em... so i think, if i route out the trem ala the instructions on project guitar, and fill the newly routed hole with alder, i can make it string thru body, and hopefully the alder that the bridge is mounting to will offset the tone of the basswood a little bit... so heres some progress pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i started routing the pups today... routed em to roughly the same spec as my RG7421... i also removed the chunk of wood between the neck humbucker and the old origional wizard neck...need to sand the edges of the pickup holes, smooth em out a little bit, but otherwise, all i got left to do is route the trem cavity... i'm going to use a coping saw to do the initial shape on the AANJ, and i'm going to start filing it from htere until it is satisfactory, then i'm going to smooth it all out with sandpaper...

2. Elysian

Elysian Banned

ok, made more progress today... heres some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as u can see, the neck only has 3 screws holding it on, one hole didn't line up so i need to dowel it and redrill it... no biggy, will fix it tomorrow or saturday(got band practice tomorrow)

3. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Gonna fill in the middle pickup or make there one, a la Universe?

4. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i was thinking of leaving it... try something different... i don't have any guitars with more than 2 humbuckers heh...

5. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

Very cool project man. :D Bold as hell.

6. Elysian

Elysian Banned

lol i got tired of this 93/94 RG470 body laying around doing nothing! now i need to find a RG7421/7621/7620/7420/any ibanez 7 neck for it... and then i gotta start saving for the pickups

7. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Heh. I would have waited until AFTER i'd got my hands on an extra neck before i started carving up the body.

But hey, that's just me. ;)

8. Elysian

Elysian Banned

nah i don't got anything better to do, this keeps me entertained and busy lol! and gives me good experience before i go to Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery in August

9. kman

kman lllllll

the back of your guitar reminds me of the Terminator when he gets half of his face blown off.

10. Elysian

Elysian Banned

hahahaha... thatd be cool to put on a guitar... if only i had an airbrush and some paint and a compressor lol i'd so do it

11. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

man, thats one hell of a project to take on.

Keep us posted on how filling in the trem cavity goes, Ive considered doing that too.

12. Elysian

Elysian Banned

well i've found alder body blanks locally for 20 bux on ebay(the guy is located in Western Washington like I am...), so i'll pick one of those up, and maybe build a body out of it too lol

13. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Wow, if yuo woulda done this 2 months earlier, i could have sold you the spare Universe neck i auctioned on ebay.

14. Elysian

Elysian Banned

ahhh man:'(

15. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

elysian: about those alder blanks.... 20 bux? is it an rg cut or what? i live in snohomish and this sounds like a tempting oportunity to build my own guitar. :D

16. Elysian

Elysian Banned

they are just 2 pieces of alder u glue together, or glue to the sides of a neck thru neck... then cut ur own body... i forget the dimensions, but its definately enough for an RG... they are located on the very northmost western tip of WA tho... i think itd be easier if they just shipped em to me lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.