The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Just thought id add a few pics of this DC400 i picked up last week

1989 trans yellow flame with a jackson "style" headstock maple/maple/maple/ebony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovely guitar & my first Carvin (im sure it wont be the last)

A few More Pic's HERE

Had to replace the Org Floyd arm/collar with the Schaller (which is a straight drop in replacement)

shame Carvin have such a limited (and somewhat overpriced) Uk presence,id love a JB 200 but the 1-1 $-£ + rate that UK retailers expect kind take the shine off ordering one.....

2. Toejam

Toejam SS.org Regular

Very nice! But wouldn't that be a DC145 with the middle pickup and active electronics? The DC400 I thought always had abalone inlays. Maybe they had those options in the '80s. Either way, Vintage Yellow is awesome!

3. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

This was posted today on Facebook. I think it's an interesting move to give them more leeway to tailor the instruments to customers wants while providing an increase in quality and relevance in the market.
    Mark and Jeff announce re-branding...

Also, this is beyond stunning!
    [​IMG]

4. GBH14

GBH14 SS.org Regular

Holy S**t!!!! :holy:

5. ExtendedRange

ExtendedRange 7 -> 8

Mark recorded a lot of early Haunted Shores material on a Holdsworth.

6. pel

pel SS.org Regular

one the the most beautifull and original wood grain I've seen.

7. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Chris H. posted this in the Carvin NAMM thread. International players prepare your wallets!
    International Sales News

8. GBH14

GBH14 SS.org Regular

"the bigger news is what all the international guys have been begging us for years to happen will now finally happen"

What is this about?? Carvin selling direct to international buyers rather than going through a distributor? If so how does that benefit us other than being able to speak to carvin directly to order? The price via a dealer was the same as the US plus the shipping and import charges so it wont make it any cheaper.

9. Alex6534

Alex6534 SS.org Regular

Does anyone know if soapbar pickups will fit in the carvin pickup cavities? I got mine with a Lundgren m7 but I'm not liking it tonally, looking at EMG 57/66, Dimarzio and Bare Knuckle.

10. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

if you have the active routes they should....

11. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Not sure how you're figuring this. There was a dealer cut in there, otherwise why would the dealer even be handling your sale with nothing in it for them?

You're right that shipping and import charges still apply, but a dealer cut has been removed.

12. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

does this mean they'll stop raping Canadians on shipping costs?

13. Cloudy

Cloudy Pacific Wood Lab

Doubt it, no one has love for us :'(

14. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

The only thing we Canadians can do for now is have them shipped to an american address such as Home - My American Address They charge $3 bucks to hold anything shipped to them for weeks. I'm sure similar businesses are found around most border crossings.

Cross the border and import the gear personally. You will still pay the tax on the good, but you'll save the UPS/FEDEX Brokerage Rape charges, plus whatever is tacked on by sub-couriers who take over these deliveries once outside of normal UPS/FEDEX delivery zones. UPS doesn't even come to my city anymore, not to mention charges an extra $120 to ship to the Canadian side of my town :scratch: ($30 to Michigan side...$150 to Ontario side when shipping from the US...it is literally less than 5 miles difference)

I'm lucky and live in a border town with Michigan, so the travel cost is minimal when importing.

The import charges from the us are nothing compared to poland, holy .... what a shitty at-your-door surprise expense!

15. GBH14

GBH14 SS.org Regular

I see your point but when I spec'd out a guitar through the dealer they came back with a figure. I then went onto the US site and spec'd the exact same thing to get a US price. I then converted that to British sterling and calculated the import tax. Both we within a few £ of each other.

I don't know how that works, as like you say - what's in it for the dealer?

16. ferret

ferret Not worthy

My best guess is that Carvin is eating part of the dealer cut. Everything Carvin sells is profit. I don't know that margin, but let's pretend for sake of argument it's 50%.

Sell a $1000 guitar, make $500 profit.

To continue making up numbers... So internationally, they sell a $1000 guitar... plus import fees and taxes (Let's call it $1000), plus dealer cut. So it ends up $2000 for you. $2000 becomes $1000 after fees. Dealer gets $200, so it's $800. It cost $500 to make, so Carvin gets $300. In this made up scenario, they still make money internationally, but less than domestic.

So let's take the dealer out. Guitar is $1000. Import is $1000. Carvin has an option here. They can try to get their $500 cut just like domestic... Or they can continue accepting $300 on an international sale.. That means $200 that previously went to the dealer can go towards the import fees. So now they can charge you $1800, and still make the $300 they did before.

EVERY number in this is made up, but just hopefully is a decent illustration on how prices in EU could drop based on the dealer being out of the way.

I also do not know how import/customs fees might change based on something being shipped direct to a consumer rather than first to a dealer who takes a cut then re-sales it to the consumer. There could be additional savings due to that.

17. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Does anyone know how much a dyed fretboard runs?

18. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I've heard a starting price of $200.

19. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

I don't know about British dealers, but when I ordered my Carvin through freight-forwarder rather than dealer, I saved more than $500

20. ProphetOfHatred

ProphetOfHatred SS.org Regular

Joining the Carvin club in 6-8 weeks :) super excited.