The Carvin / Kiesel thread

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i miss the days full sized carvin catalogs would come in the mail and i could obsess and price things out for days. i was a teen so i couldn't really afford anything though. still...

If you scroll down to the bottom of their home page, they just added a downloadable PDF of a "catalog" of sorts.

It's very basic, and IMO is clearly a 'first pass" attempt. It reminds me of the "Spec Guide" they had on the old "CarvinWorld.com" international website. I think this new "catalog" needs pages that explains and shows examples of some of their options. A page of headstock shapes, a page for inlays and inlay material, etc. Those were all a part of the old "Spec Guide".

1670459881027.png

To me the volume means they have to standardize a lot of things and frankly I prefer tung oil necks, most do.

An amusing note: they used to charge extra for a tung oiled neck. In 1990, they charged $40, and that would be almost $100 with inflation. I think when it was made standard a couple years back, they were charging $50 for it. But when it was made standard, it was at the same time as a January or July $50-across-the-board price increase...so for most of the customers at that time, because tung oil necks were so popular, that price increase was basically a wash.

Last edited:

TK51508

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Curious about what everyone thinks about the resale value of this brand when the kiesel pickups have been swapped out?

I recently had a Kiesel listed on Reverb that I ended up pulling because it wasn't getting the offers I was really looking for. I wondered if it had to do with the pickups? I got rid of the kiesel pickups because I wasn't a fan, so I replaced with bare knuckles. The guitar plays and resonates great but I wonder if I had it priced too high because of the BK I had in there. I bought a Duncan JB and 59 to replace the BK, hoping that I can price it a little lower and hopefully see more action on the listing.

I originally just wanted to try one out, so I bought it from the guitars in stock page on the website. The guitar is built well, and I'm not sure why I see so much hate for them, but it sounds like there might be consistency issues with them.

Anyway, just curious of everyone's thoughts.

I have owned 7 Carvin/Kiesel guitars. I have sold 3 of them, or should I say took a bath on 3 of them. They were gorgeous, flawless guitars but on 2 of them, I lost $1000 off of what I paid. I have not had any issue with any Carvin/Kiesel I have owned. Every one of them was a great gorgeous guitar, I don't believe changing the electronics would have added any money to the resale value. I did buy one last year during the black Friday sale... a V220 spec'ed how I always wanted one, but I have gone back and looked at prices and I am soooooo happy I bought one prior to the latest price increase. I would not have pulled the trigger at the current prices. You have to believe you will keep the guitar forever because you will not get anywhere near your investment back.

Sir_Shreddington

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have owned 7 Carvin/Kiesel guitars. I have sold 3 of them, or should I say took a bath on 3 of them. They were gorgeous, flawless guitars but on 2 of them, I lost $1000 off of what I paid. I have not had any issue with any Carvin/Kiesel I have owned. Every one of them was a great gorgeous guitar, I don't believe changing the electronics would have added any money to the resale value. I did buy one last year during the black Friday sale... a V220 spec'ed how I always wanted one, but I have gone back and looked at prices and I am soooooo happy I bought one prior to the latest price increase. I would not have pulled the trigger at the current prices. You have to believe you will keep the guitar forever because you will not get anywhere near your investment back.
I originally thought since new prices were increasing that might drive up the used market, but it doesn't really look that way. Oh well!

Whoever ends up buying it is going to get a killer guitar...and at a hefty discount lol

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I originally thought since new prices were increasing that might drive up the used market, but it doesn't really look that way. Oh well!

Whoever ends up buying it is going to get a killer guitar...and at a hefty discount lol
What do you have? Sorry if I missed where you said. I honestly have never seen used Kiesels go for higher than maybe a couple months ago, especially for base/moderate builds. The BKP's won't hold value unless you sell them on their own (to the buyer who wants that particular set). I don't think most people hold Kiesel in house pickups with high regard, but I like them a lot.

Just have to wait for the right buyer. If you have time, Christmas money is coming soon and tax money will follow a few months after.

Sir_Shreddington

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What do you have? Sorry if I missed where you said. I honestly have never seen used Kiesels go for higher than maybe a couple months ago, especially for base/moderate builds. The BKP's won't hold value unless you sell them on their own (to the buyer who wants that particular set). I don't think most people hold Kiesel in house pickups with high regard, but I like them a lot.

Just have to wait for the right buyer. If you have time, Christmas money is coming soon and tax money will follow a few months after.
It's a Kiesel Aries 6. You're probably right, maybe it was just a timing issue. About the BK, I got some Duncans that I'll install in the Kiesel. They are pretty universal so I think they'll appeal to people. Then I'll be able to list the BK pickups separately.

It's a great guitar, but I think most people just want to play something first before shelling out over 1k for something. I can't blame them, I'm the same way.

dspellman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is always the gripe that Carvin/Kiesel critics have voiced. It's surprising to me that they don't understand that a largely custom-ordered guitar will have an audience of one who really appreciates the specific combination of features ordered. I have seven Carvins (no Kiesels), purchased from about 1989 through 2006. Some were used, several new. All of them (*all * of them) would sell now for well over what I originally paid for them.

Regarding electronics: I received one 1991 guitar used from a seller who claimed it was all original. What he *meant* was that he pulled the aftermarket pickups he'd put in, and replaced them with the originals he still had lying around. Unfortunately, he had no idea how to solder and two of the three pickups had been damaged in the process. I eventually shook everything out of the guitar and replaced them with original spec. Lesson learned. I've been offered guitars that are otherwise excellent in which the original active preamp had been misunderstood and was yanked and replaced with a basic aftermarket setup. The result was a downgrade and the seller didn't understand why I felt that way. These days, it's rare that I'll even consider a guitar that's been messed with in that department.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
This is always the gripe that Carvin/Kiesel critics have voiced. It's surprising to me that they don't understand that a largely custom-ordered guitar will have an audience of one who really appreciates the specific combination of features ordered. I have seven Carvins (no Kiesels), purchased from about 1989 through 2006. Some were used, several new. All of them (*all * of them) would sell now for well over what I originally paid for them.

Regarding electronics: I received one 1991 guitar used from a seller who claimed it was all original. What he *meant* was that he pulled the aftermarket pickups he'd put in, and replaced them with the originals he still had lying around. Unfortunately, he had no idea how to solder and two of the three pickups had been damaged in the process. I eventually shook everything out of the guitar and replaced them with original spec. Lesson learned. I've been offered guitars that are otherwise excellent in which the original active preamp had been misunderstood and was yanked and replaced with a basic aftermarket setup. The result was a downgrade and the seller didn't understand why I felt that way. These days, it's rare that I'll even consider a guitar that's been messed with in that department.
100% agree. Unless it can be verified that the modification was done by someone qualified, it makes me nervous. And even if it was down by someone qualified, 99% of the time I’m expecting to pay less for it, just because of the inherent risk.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Splatter finishes have been added to the builder. It's a bit limited, as it's only solid finishes (at least for now). Also, while you can pick up to three splatter colors, if you only pick one, in the factory they will actually do more splatter of that one color so it's the same "amount" of splatter, but the builder doesn't account for that...it just shows you 1/3 of the splatter.

Also, at least for now, you can "trick" it into a different base finish by selecting a solid color, then adding your splatters, then you can switch the finish to a trans color...but if you want to change a splatter color, you have to go back to a solid base paint color. This loophole may be closed-up soon.

With great power comes great responsibility. Because while you can do this...

Screenshot_20221217-084419_Samsung Internet.jpg

You can also do...

20221217_084020.jpg

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wonder if it'll be in just 7-string. 6-string multiscale doesn't seem super popular, and 8-strings are already so niche, that they might never recoup tooling costs on that bridge plate.

...and if I had to guess, right handed only.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I wonder if it'll be in just 7-string. 6-string multiscale doesn't seem super popular, and 8-strings are already so niche, that they might never recoup tooling costs on that bridge plate.

I both hope they do an 8, and simultaneously hope they do not. I’d love one, but reeeeallly don’t need to be buying a new guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Does this make them un-returnable too?

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does this make them un-returnable too?
I could see it going both ways...by having it not returnable, that would discourage sales...and I'm sure Hipshot wants to recoup their design/tooling expenses as soon as possible. But, they also don't want a bunch of impulse buys coming back. 🤔

I kinda wish they did the "restocking fee" type thing where a customer would retain the 10-day, and they could sell it at a steeper discount because they've already "made" that money. There would still be non-returnable things like goofy color combos and such, but...if someone knew they could roll the dice on, say, a buckeye top, if they didn't like it, they did only be out a chunk of change, and don't have to deal with Reverb, Ebay, etc, and potentially a steeper loss.