The Carvin / Kiesel thread

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I've been seeing some new rainbow sparkle pics from Kiesel on Instagram - making me wonder if my Vanquish is going to be arriving shortly. Today makes exactly 22 weeks.
Rainbow sparkle vanquish?! Oooooo I can't wait for that one.

RevelGTR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every time I think I’m ready to admit that Kiesel’s just aren’t for me I spec one out that I’m completely in love with. I’ve been considering a 7 string AZ but for $300 more I could get this with the aqua sparkle, reverse headstock and longer scale length. Very tempted.
F1C8C915-7309-4A8A-A5FA-80AEF071C8AE.jpeg

Agalloch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every time I think I’m ready to admit that Kiesel’s just aren’t for me I spec one out that I’m completely in love with. I’ve been considering a 7 string AZ but for $300 more I could get this with the aqua sparkle, reverse headstock and longer scale length. Very tempted.
View attachment 108154

I enjoy trying to spec out guitars that are similar to models I like from other makers. With Kiesel, they often end up cheaper or at least similar in price but more to your personal tastes. Sometimes they're way cheaper, like the Suhr Asato T-Style guitar I spec'ed, which came to like $2000 less than what it costs from Suhr...Didn't order it, but I still might. Gonna see what the Memorial Day sale looks like.

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rainbow Sparkle Vanquish came in Saturday - Happy NGD to me! Rainbow sparkle is so amazing - pictures don't do justice.
Sorry for the crappy pics, should have taken outside but sunlight wasn't great.
It's ebony fretboard, walnut neck, Kiesel Trem in black hardware
I love it so far, plays effortlessly. After a few days re the body shape - I think the Aries and my new Majesty are more comfortable but if I didn't have those I would say this is very comfortable. Certainly compact - extremely light and the 4+2 headstock is tiny. Very versatile.
Next up will be a Crescent and Osiris in some order next year. The Crescent will be the aspirational no fs given on specs - essentially trying to replicate a PRS Private Stock. I just need to decide on top and color.

IMG_2970 (1).jpg IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2968 (1).jpg IMG_2967 (1).jpg

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I forgot if I had posted how my Vader 7x turned out here. Frankly ive been playing it so much... pretty stunning result. Ill be posting a very intensive review comparing it to my original Carvin DC747, which it dethroned as my main. Interesting story behind it as I nearly died about this time last year.
Orange-s.jpg
One of the most distinctive royal ebony fretboards Ive ever seen and both the freboard and antique ash top have some rare flaming figuration. Finally, I have the Holdsworth pickups Ive always wanted too. About 85% of the guitar tracks on my current album project are this beast. I really wanted to put it though its paces before a full review.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I forgot if I had posted how my Vader 7x turned out here. Frankly ive been playing it so much... pretty stunning result. Ill be posting a very intensive review comparing it to my original Carvin DC747, which it dethroned as my main. Interesting story behind it as I nearly died about this time last year.
View attachment 108917
One of the most distinctive royal ebony fretboards Ive ever seen and both the freboard and antique ash top have some rare flaming figuration. Finally, I have the Holdsworth pickups Ive always wanted too. About 85% of the guitar tracks on my current album project are this beast. I really wanted to put it though its paces before a full review.

You won both the top and the fretboard lotteries.
Big time.

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You won both the top and the fretboard lotteries.
Big time.
Well, the fingerboard was spec'd to master grade and I think I communicated the build vibe to Flock pretty well (Im a pro at descrribing hard to describe things). They dont make very many transparent orange antique orange guitars and my sense is my peculiar tastes translated to a cool build most would never go for. The Ash top looks very different in different light and at different angles... its subtle. Thing plays like a dream... the full review will get into it but I dont think it was just slapped together... there were lots of little moves and sensitivities that I notice and appreciate. They also knew I was game for some wild surprises, that fretboard fits me perfectly but some players might really be thrown by it. They probably expected me to have those kind of standards because of who I am and what I do. I speccd it so Jeff picked out the fretboard and probably the neck blank???... it carries the motif through the black limba neck. But the thing that really gets me is the playablity. Carvins were always solid but this thing being as refined a headless design as it is is very responsive and willing partner in the musical crimes I am committing. 20+ years between 7 string builds and this is gonna be an exhaustive review by the tim I get it all video'd.

I play it every day and of my 14-15 guitars its my #1... also thanks to those here on this forum who helped me make informed and idiomatic choices.

Last edited:

Agalloch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really need Kiesel offer a rose gold finish like Aristides, because I have neither the money nor patience for an Aristides' build...

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just an FYI:
The AE185 has been put on "last call" notice, and in that video, it was also mentioned that the V220 is one of their lowest-selling models. If anyone wants one/another V220, get it before it goes on the chopping block if you still hope to be able to use the 10-day trial. They might just even have a hard-line cut-off once they sell through their specially-designed cases for it.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Rainbow Sparkle Vanquish came in Saturday - Happy NGD to me! Rainbow sparkle is so amazing - pictures don't do justice.
Sorry for the crappy pics, should have taken outside but sunlight wasn't great.
It's ebony fretboard, walnut neck, Kiesel Trem in black hardware
I love it so far, plays effortlessly. After a few days re the body shape - I think the Aries and my new Majesty are more comfortable but if I didn't have those I would say this is very comfortable. Certainly compact - extremely light and the 4+2 headstock is tiny. Very versatile.
Next up will be a Crescent and Osiris in some order next year. The Crescent will be the aspirational no fs given on specs - essentially trying to replicate a PRS Private Stock. I just need to decide on top and color.

View attachment 108402 View attachment 108403
View attachment 108404 View attachment 108405
Solid walnut neck, nice. Got one on my vanquish too and it's my favorite feeling neck I have.

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Solid walnut neck, nice. Got one on my vanquish too and it's my favorite feeling neck I have.
probably what I try for my next build but I loved the 1 piece limba neck so I think I like the pores.... kinda done with maple... nothing against it but im never looking for it now.

Latest posts