The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

For context, I just saw a breakdown of some Gibson price increases, where some models went up $300, $400, $500, and a double-neck SG went up $1,400!

2. CanserDYI

CanserDYI 5150 KVLT

Yeah 2021 is price increase central.

I've said it on here before, but I work in the shipping/logistics industry, and just for your knowledge, box trucks, shipping containers, LTL freight etc, all costing about 3 times what it did this exact same time last year. This WILL and already has started to translate into a huge inflation in a lot of prices for a lot of things, every industry will be affected.

odibrom and RobDobble6S7 like this.
  3. bigcupholder

bigcupholder SS.org Regular

So you're saying we should spend all our money before it's just worthless pieces of paper? :hbang:

Good thing I just bought an Axe FX 3.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, what sucks is we're not seeing that paycheck increase. I know NEW jobs are paying more, but companies aren't going to just randomly give us all raises. It's true though - I used to think that the recession of '08 was the best time to buy gear. Now I long for 2019. :lol:

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Gibson is doing what Jackson has been doing the last year or two, raising prices to lower orders so they can catch up. Production is so tight they're not even building certain shapes and models until late next year, if possible. So that's why we're seeing 20%+ increases, especially on the most popular legacy models like LPCs.

Ibanez is going to be doing ~15% across the line, and ESP is cutting production of much of the E-II line to focus on higher price home market and Original stuff.

That's what at capacity really looks like, having to choose what you need to cut so something leaves the shop.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. spudmunkey

Well, I guess it would be fair to say that "at capacity" can have different meanings… is it the actual limitations that you simply can't produce any more without significant changes to what you produce? Or that you're already haveing to make those compromises that would have a significant effect on what you produce, and you really can't produce more. I feel like both are valid definitions. One's more if a physical limit, and one's more of a philosophical limit.

With wait times basically being double or triple what they were just a few years ago go, and Kiesel having to work so much overtime, not have as many promos, etc... it's clear that they are at some sort of idea of "capacity". For them to do much more volume, they would probably have to limit models, limit options, or have lead times be much longer by changing the way they produce their instruments (making them in batches).

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

In manufacturing it has a real meaning, and it means you're "full", as in you have no room left for production so you either stop taking orders all together or you choose what takes priority.

At least that's what it's always meant in the industries I've worked.

A shop like Kiesel that produces one-offs directly has a lot of control of throughput, since it's not like they need to make 100 of a single unit to supply dealers and distributors, they just need to make 1, and can flex the build times as far as the consumer will bear. That's something of a luxury the big guys don't have since they need to service the distribution contracts they ink as far as order size and mix.

So until they hit that barrier they haven't really hit their capacity limits, self set or not.

But we're sort of splitting hairs over something Kiesel themselves haven't directly claimed. :lol:

8. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Half a year ago I was thinking by the end of 2021 things will start getting back to normal, you know, with the vaccine and all :lol:

Turns out the prices have increased, availability is bad, graphics cards still cost an absolute fuckton, and to top it off, our local used guitar market, which was already bad, became even more dried up.

9. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

Nice effort on adding the control option to the builder. Unfortunately it displays the two different options backwards on the guitar. I'm sure they will catch it soon, at least there is progress.

spudmunkey likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

Indeed. :) I let them know on Friday...they've been pretty quick to turn-around other small issues like that, so I'd imagine that'll be fixed by mid-week.

BigViolin likes this.
  11. spudmunkey

Looks like it's been fixed. At least on the one model I checked, the Aries:
    upload_2021-11-8_15-27-9.png

upload_2021-11-8_15-27-27.png

12. tofudoom

tofudoom SS.org Regular

Put in an order for my first Kiesel around Halloween! Pretty excited. Pics attached.

Also, a question, should I expect to hear anything from Kiesel at any point in the build process? All I got was the order confirmation, but nothing to confirm that it had passed "order review" or anything. Just curious!

13. spudmunkey

Nope, they only contact they will make is if there's a spec that doesn't make sense. They usually start the guitar the next day, and the only communication you'll get is if final payment is still due, or an email from FedEx (not Kiesel) when it ships.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    tofudoom likes this.
  14. spudmunkey

https://www.kieselguitars.com/series/guitar/retro-solo

So, the new RS - Retro Solo: $1549 + case and shipping
    22 frets, 6 strings, 25.5" scale only
    Wilkinson by Gotoh ashtray bridge, with 3 solid brass pivoting saddles, also available in black for the first time
    Seymour Duncan Antiquity bridge pickup, and STR-1 neck pickup
    Gotoh control plate
    10" standard radius
    Dunlop 250k Super pots
    If Gotoh makes a left-handed version of this bridge, they'll offer the model in left-handed.
    Available with all standard pickguard materials
    The woods that retain the 10-day trial period will be alder, ash, one-piece ash and mahogany. Others are available, but not with the 10-day trial.
    There are two headstock options that retain the 10-day trial period: the GT and the reverse GT. Anything else would not come with the 10-day trial.

upload_2021-11-10_15-54-14.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  15. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Dirt Magurt

Did Jeff manage to make a shape this actually looks really good no matter how you turn your head? Well done J. Wiesel. (All jokes aside, most of the shapes to do grow on you the more you look at them, and some look better with more string on them).

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. spudmunkey

I didn't think I would, but I'm *really* digging the black bridge. Not sure I care for the pre-rusted SD Antiquity bridge pickup screws, but understand that's part if the Antiquity package.. Easy enough to swap out though. Even though the rest of the pickup is aged, I think I'd prefer polished screws.

17. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

am I stupid or are you literally not able to select a transwhite finish on the body in the editor? went to spec one out similar to the white proto and couldn't figure out how to get transwhite working

18. spudmunkey

It may only pop up if you add a flamed maple, quilt maple or ash top, WITH an ash body

19. RevelGTR

RevelGTR PRS, Fender, Warmoth

As someone who primarily lives in the Tele & Strat as well as related boutiques world I think they knocked it out of the park as far as specs, especially the pickups and 10” radius. My only concern might be that the standard neck thickness and nut width are thinner and wider respectively than what most seem to like in this segment.

20. spudmunkey

Nothing one could do about the nut width, but they do offer a thick (+.03") and double thick (+.06") options.