The Carvin / Kiesel thread

olejason

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wonder if "the guys" would do a pointed angled headstock on a bass? That was a no-go a few years ago when I asked about it.

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was hoping for a Candy sale as in previous years, but I guess with the new builder they don't need that business.

I would have gone all in on a Crescent either Pink or Purple candy over master grade quilt

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was hoping for a Candy sale as in previous years, but I guess with the new builder they don't need that business.

I would have gone all in on a Crescent either Pink or Purple candy over master grade quilt
Halloweennis rarely anything more than black and/or orange things. You want Black Friday. (If they do one this year)

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There was one black Friday and one president's day where I think Jeff realized they went way over-board on the discounts. :lol:

This one is basically their 2018 Halloween sale, plusthe addition of the free Thorium/Illusionist pickup upgrades.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like they are coming out with a version of their Solo that's more "tele"-like, with a pickguard, control plate, ashtray bridge, and "tele" pickups.

Spotted in a video one of their artists posted to their YouTube channel where they toured the factory.

A few years ago they teased this Wilkinson bridge as a possible option for their Solo model, but it was never really "officially" available. It's got 3 saddles, but each one has a pivot point in the middle so you can adjust the angle.

In the video, Jeff mentioned that the pickups in one of the two they showed were SD Antiquity pickups. Kiesel doesn't make their own covered single coils, nor do they make a pickup with the 3 screws for an ashtray bridge.

The working name is the RS, or "Retro Solo", but it'll have the Solo's normal forearm contour, sloped plate-less neck joint, belly cut, and that pivoting-saddle bridge. Seeing how far out that pickguard extends on the bass side, I suspect it won't be available with the Solo's "SCB-like" optional body bevel, which is a bummer, IMO.

Capture.JPG

Dumple Stilzkin

Tom foolery is my middle name.
Reaction score
Looks like they are coming out with a version of their Solo that's more "tele"-like, with a pickguard, control plate, ashtray bridge, and "tele" pickups.

Spotted in a video one of their artists posted to their YouTube channel where they toured the factory.

A few years ago they teased this Wilkinson bridge as a possible option for their Solo model, but it was never really "officially" available. It's got 3 saddles, but each one has a pivot point in the middle so you can adjust the angle.

In the video, Jeff mentioned that the pickups in one of the two they showed were SD Antiquity pickups. Kiesel doesn't make their own covered single coils, nor do they make a pickup with the 3 screws for an ashtray bridge.

The working name is the RS, or "Retro Solo", but it'll have the Solo's normal forearm contour, sloped plate-less neck joint, belly cut, and that pivoting-saddle bridge. Seeing how far out that pickguard extends on the bass side, I suspect it won't be available with the Solo's "SCB-like" optional body bevel, which is a bummer, IMO.

View attachment 99632
I don’t think I’d buy one, but this a great idea and looks good so far.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's already too many companies making Tele copies.

I really don't understand this move from a business perspective - it doesn't fit their aesthetic, it introduces new parts to stock, and it likely means more low-cost builds when they're already running at capacity.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's already too many companies making Tele copies.

I really don't understand this move from a business perspective - it doesn't fit their aesthetic, it introduces new parts to stock, and it likely means more low-cost builds when they're already running at capacity.

Because Teles sell like crazy. Same reason Aristides did it.

This is a genius move. They're going to literally print money with these things.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised they didn't take this route with the first Johnny Hiland sig, but these will sell like hotcakes.

Be prepared for a slew of hot pink dragon burst teles hitting reverb soon.

Last edited:

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because Teles sell like crazy. Same reason Aristides did it.

This is a genius move. They're going to literally print money with these things.
But if they're already at production capacity (or over, if their build times keep increasing). They're already printing money. Selling cheaper models that require new parts to be stocked would only cost them money vs selling their existing models. For example, any $1300 Tele they make is taking the place of a $2000 Crescent/Aries/Vader at this point.

I'm curious if this means they're looking to expand into a bigger or second facility.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
The only thing they're going to have to stock is the bridges and the control plate and everything else they're already tooled up for.

I don't think this will replace a 2000 dollar Vader or Aries because it appeals to a different crowd that doesn't really look to Kiesel. Also, it's really really easy to make a delos 2k, I'm sure they'll get plenty of 2k+ tele builds. It does seem silly that they drop this at the busiest they've ever been, though.

I'm no economist or business minded person though.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But if they're already at production capacity (or over, if their build times keep increasing). They're already printing money. Selling cheaper models that require new parts to be stocked would only cost them money vs selling their existing models. For example, any $1300 Tele they make is taking the place of a $2000 Crescent/Aries/Vader at this point.

I'm curious if this means they're looking to expand into a bigger or second facility.

Are they "at capacity"? What does that mean? They don't batch build, so it's more about stretching individual build times vs. not taking orders, which is usually what that means.

Tele players aren't afraid of spending money, so I don't think the per unit price average will drop.

This is just like brining the Delos to the lineup. The classic designs have an absolutely massive following and mean practically guaranteed sales to help prop up the more niche headless and pointy models.