The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. RickF

RickF SS.org Regular

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask. But has anyone got a Kiesel Vader 8 string with the hipshot trem? Curious to know how well it performs.

Eyeing an 8 string guitar and debating if to go with Kiesel, either Vader or Aries. 27" vs multiscale. Too many options

RevelGTR likes this.
  2. CanserDYI

CanserDYI 5150 KVLT

I got NIN on my profile pic guitar, and its lovely, but yeah, after like 12th fret, I'm gonna probably put one or two custom inlays in, as it just turns into 40 frets lol

Jeffrey Bain and Hollowway like this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Here's mine with offset (not staggered) dots:

The effect is exaggerated by the strip of sapwood though, camouflageing the abalone:
    [​IMG]

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I have an Osiris with one. It’s nice, but it doesn’t have the range of a Floyd. Way the hell better than a Kahler, though.

5. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I can only comment on the 7 version, but couple of things to be aware of:
    • It is extremely high quality in terms of materials an machining. Seriously solid.
    • Stays in tune like some of the best systems around, and the knife-less design makes me think it's going to be very durable
    • Sustains well thanks to a T H I C C stock block
    With some "downsides":
    • Aforementioned block makes the bridge HEAVY
    • The arm assembly is not the best, and can benefit from a simple swap
    • As @Hollowway said, not as much range as a Floyd

Hollowway likes this.
  6. spudmunkey

Do either of you with them find that your body movements translate into trem movement, specifically leaning forward, any more than other terms? With the weight of the block, plus the weight of the tuners, it seems like it could be more susceptible to inertia-based tuning fluxuations.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’ll have to try that to see. I’ve never really thought about that, because I haven’t gigged in forever, and am usually sitting while I play.

spudmunkey likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I never found a particularly noticeable difference. All floating bridges do it to some degree, and there's even somewhat significant variation from one setup to another even with the same model bridge. Which is why I don't setup guitars flat, but mounted in playing position.

The Hipshot/Kiesel unit is pretty stiff, and that helps keep it in place, and while big, they're not particularly heavy, less than a pound and a half, vs. the heavier Floyd style units which can be up to two pounds.

spudmunkey likes this.
  9. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

It can fluctuate a bit, but not particularly notable / different from my other tremmed guitars.

spudmunkey likes this.
  10. RevelGTR

RevelGTR PRS, Fender, Warmoth

11. spudmunkey

You know what I wish the builder had? A random spec generator.

I've been playing with it a LOT, and I find I've settled into a slump where I keep building out the same couple of spec combinations. I would like to start with random collections of specs that I could tweak for my preferred frets, string count. etc. It would likely come up with wood/finish combinations I hadn't thought of.

Sometimes I've taken a build-out for their semi-hollow carved top single cut SH550, and just randomly switched it to a Vanquish, and though. "Oooh...that's nice." Or tried building a Delos, then switching it to a Lightspeed, and thinking, "not a spec I would have come up with for a Lightspeed...but I like it!"

SymmetricScars and RevelGTR like this.
  12. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Why does adding the best headstock they offer (pointed angle) make so many options unavailable? Two weirdest ones I've found:
    1. You can't get a roasted maple neck with the pointed angle headstock
    2. You can't get a matching koa overlay on the pointed angle headstock

13. spudmunkey

I suspect it's a bug. I don't know about the koa overlay, but the pointed angle headstock is so much wider than their neck blanks, they have to actually add a small piece of wood to the tip (for all woods, but just the roasted maple). Perhaps...if it's not a bug...only thing I could think of is that they don't offer 3 , 5 or 7 piece necks with roasted maple, so...maybe...glueing the roasted maple to the side of the neck blank makes it two pieces...somehow...*sigh* Nevermind, I got nothin. It's probably a bug. I actually send in errors I find because I'm a dork like that (I also like to find/point out restaurant menu misspellings), so I'll add it to my next submission.

Some other fun bugs:
    No logos on left-handed headless (or tung oil headless)
    upload_2021-10-15_13-25-54.png

Deleting the Hyperdrive's body bevel actually also takes the burst color along with it:
    upload_2021-10-15_13-26-36.png

The battery compartment location is in the wrong place for the Osiris and Zeus (but amusingly it's in the right place for the model that's a combination of both, the Lee McKinney LMX model):
    upload_2021-10-15_13-27-17.png

3PB shouldn't be visible on an all-painted guitar:
    upload_2021-10-15_13-27-41.png

You can't stain Koa, but it won't let you add a koa body to a maple top even if you have Rear Natural Clear option.

The routes for the side tabs on the 7-string pickups are wrong:
    upload_2021-10-15_13-29-42.png

Black crackle on natural wood is technically possible (likely not meant to be offered on the builderthough), but there's a way to trick the builder into showing it, and when it does, the orientation doesn't make sense, because the wood pattern isn't what's meant to break apart to show black underneath. The white crackle is the correct way, though, strangely:
    upload_2021-10-15_13-31-21.png

you can trick it into showing you a Delos without a pickguard...but the screws are still there.
    upload_2021-10-15_13-31-54.png

headless, too:
    upload_2021-10-15_13-32-15.png

The tops on the V220 are too thin in the rendering, if you can see the 5-piece neck on that chamfered edge behind the bridge. The top could only be veneer-thin if this were visible, and it's not.
    upload_2021-10-15_13-33-9.png

This headstock is fun:
    upload_2021-10-15_13-33-29.png

And that's not even a 1/4 of the list of bugs I've found. The post window just said I couldn't add any more images. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  14. spudmunkey

Actually...this one seems to work for me.

Plain koa body, plain koa top
    upload_2021-10-15_13-44-24.png

Plain koa body, flamed koa top
    upload_2021-10-15_13-43-59.png

Unless you're talking about a plain koa body with NO top. On the builder, they don't offer headstock overlays where there's just a body wood and not a top wood. The overlays come with the tops. You can get a headstock overlay to match a non-topped body, but it's a call-in option, though.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Dumple Stilzkin and Hollowway like this.
  15. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

En-kiesel-opedia over here lol. Endless knowledge from the man himself.

Hollowway likes this.
  16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

That's why builder software is not so straightforward to make when there are lots of constraints it needs to validate for different options. They start from simple "if 7 string then filter out this and that option" type stuff and snowballs into validating specific combinations of specs.

17. CanserDYI

CanserDYI 5150 KVLT

He's a god damn 8th wonder of the world, Spud. I know he was doing some email work answering questions for them, but @spudmunkey if you joined the Kiesel sales team, I would personally buy all my guitars from you, cheers.

Hollowway likes this.
  18. spudmunkey

I haven't designed a web page since having to work out of a physical "Intranet Design" book, but I knew enough about Kiesel's offering to laugh whenever people were like, "I don't get why it's so hard, or why it would cost so much money. I could put together something in a week."

I'm genuinely curious if the virtual builder update came with any back-of-house system updates. I seems like not, as phoned/emailed in orders are still getting their order confirmations in the same old formats, based on screenshots people in the FB shared of their newly-placed order build sheets.

But besides the visual aspect, the best thing this builder does, from a customer's standpoint, is separates the body wood from the neck wood. That was the silliest aspect of the old builder. On one screen you had to pick a *combination* of neck and body woods, and each combination had a unique option code, and then on another screen, you could pick your multi-layered 3, 5 or 7-pieces necks. Or 1 piece flamed or roasted necks. :confused:. So you could have a build sheet that says "mahogany body/maple neck" on one line, and then "3-piece walnut and purpleheart neck" for a single-neck guitar.

laxu likes this.
  19. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Great, now just imagine if it were like Oblivion and you could keep picking "random" to make it uglier every time.

mbardu and spudmunkey like this.
  20. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

The 8 string reverse needs to be fixed to "that Dean Lamb motherfucker" in the pulldown.

SymmetricScars and RevelGTR like this.