The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

It's gotta be an early 00's Homestead, at least.

2. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Disclaimer: I'm more windowshopping here than at a point where I would pull the trigger.
    As a long term goal, I really want a pink sparkle strat. Since these are not commonly found, I will probably have to go with a custom order somewhere. Kiesel seems to be the most affordable option and I am wondering how this goes down in practise.
    * How long does an order usually take? I would want something like a D6X with pink sparkle finish. Nothing crazy elsewise
    * Importing to the EU means customs and taxes. I know in Germany it should be like 4.5% and 19% on the total of product and shipping. What is the experience for other EU Kiesel owners? Is there even a way to bypass it?
    * Where can I find prizes, or is the listing price (e.g. for the D6X 1299$) including all options?

Sorry in advance, I guess these questions have been posed and answered a million times, but either I am too stupid or there is no option to search inside a thread.

3. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

• Building a guitar should take 2 to 3 months at the moment. One thing with sparkles is that it is a difficult and "rare" finish so it can be a little more time-consuming (they like to wait and do in batches).
    • You're unlikely to find a way to bypass taxes into the EU. Some people have reported that taxes are only assessed on the base price of the guitar though, so you may at least save a little bit there because...and that's your last point
    • Not all options are included. 1299$ is only a base price and you can see some options from the archaic "guitar builder" link on the product page https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/d6 . I don't believe sparkle is listed, and IIRC, it's a 600$ option. Yep, very expensive. If you have patience, they do sometimes have runs or promos where the price of that is cut in half. Not guaranteed though, and you could be waiting forever.
    Like you said there are not a ton of alternatives though.
    And considering the price of even import guitars, the Kiesel even at 1799 (1299+600-100 of "free options" they give you) is still pretty good. The quality will be there for sure.
    I think Edwards has made, or is making a pink Snapper, but that's hard to come by, may not be much cheaper if at all, and will lack things like stainless steel frets.

Wildcard option: find a used Kiesel Delos, or an older Carvin Bolt for under 1k$/, and have that refinished in pink sparkle locally?

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

On the right side of that page, there is a green button that says "GUITAR BUILDER - Build and order this guitar". This opens up a pop-up window that will list out some of the available options, along with the price for each option. (Note: there are cross-out numbers indicating a sale...but this "sale" has been running for years and years). After you've gone though page-by-page and selected your options, you are shown a final price when you add it to your cart.

A couple additional and important notes:
    1) This builder is just a streamlined experience. Many of their flashiest options are not available online. There are many options only by calling, or emailing/messaging with one of the salespeople.
    2) You can still use this, though, to get a rough estimate on how much the build would cost aside from those final couple of options. You'll be able to pick from all of their body woods, neck woods, fret material and sizes, fretboard radius, inlays, headstock shape, bridge options, and several of their pickup options (not all, but enough to give you a rough budget/idea), etc.
    3) If you have one guitar in your cart and want to try building out another to compare, you should take a screenshot of the one in your cart, then clear your cart. Their builder often has a hard time with multiple guitars where it'll duplicate options, drop some off, switch an option from one guitar to the other. Just clear your cart before starting another one.

Hollowway likes this.
  5. bigcupholder

bigcupholder SS.org Regular

My experience a couple months ago was that you only pay import tax on the base price, because that's what they mark as the value. This was for Canada, but I see no reason why the EU would be different. So if you're adding expensive options like a sparkle finish, you save a lot on the tax.

Metallic finishes are $100. Sparkle is $600 IIRC because the sparkle goes everywhere and they have to completely clean out the paint room before they can do other finishes again. It's like a glitter bomb apparently. Maybe consider metallic?

6. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot!
    Those comments helped a lot for a complete kiesel noob! I didnt see / find / look for the "builder" (wow what a horrible experience this website is :D).
    I would have been very surprised if the special finishes, especially sparkle, wasnt an extra fee. 600 is quite a lot indeed though.
    I'm not in a rush, more checking what are the options if I ever feel worthy of fulfilling this dream.

Non-sparkle pink can also work. Ryan Siew has a really cool mayones regius in pink. But I'd love the look of that guitar in any finish probably. Most pink guitars I've seen so far are close on (or over) the edge to cringe and its hard to find something that is aesthetically pleasing.

Back in the day when I played drums I had a yamaha beech custom in hot pink sparkle (found it used online) and _loved_ that finish and wanted something similar on a guitar one day. Maybe in the end it will be easier to find a good base model (any brand) and find somebody that does good paintjobs around. Though I must say I quite like the aesthetics of those kiesel strats (similarly also to the ibanez AZs)
    [​IMG]

7. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Those AZs are very nice too, even the premium ones. Sometimes even more so the premiums. I personally hate their headstocks, but solid guitars - plus I believe their pricing is better in Europe. Refinishing on of those sounds like a good option too!

8. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

its not the same pink that you've pictured above, but these are also sparkly and not the carvin/kiesel route. maybe a different option?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the pinks here have a very subtle sparkle in them and they shimmer under certain lights.
    maybe worth a shot through Charvel, as they are readily available, and return policy might be more friendly?

Nlelith and binz like this.
  9. binz

binz SS.org Regular

https://reverb.com/item/37669141-kiesel-delos-2020-trans-orange-sparkle

[​IMG]

Thats pretty much what I am looking for minus orange plus pink. He included screenshots of the option prices (good guy steve) and apparently sparkle finishes are 400$ extra (I am so far from placing an order that I wouldnt want to waste their time writing an email asking about the exact sparkle price atm).

Edika, Masoo2, aesthyrian and 3 others like this.
  10. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Hot guitar, but what a dumb price :lol:

John and mlp187 like this.
  11. spudmunkey

I think he got some sort of discount on his metal flake finish. In the 2020 Presidents' day sale, silver metal flake was availble for $300, and that was a $300 discount.

Oh, and to be clear, it's $600 for the metal flake, and then $40 for the trans finish (or higher if going for a custom non-standard color).

binz likes this.
  12. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

Wow, I want to know where that dude get's his crack, because I need to smoke some of that! hahaha that price is insane!

Hollowway likes this.
  13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, this is the era of used prices being higher than new. Did you see the Ibby prestige in Doom Burst for $2500? That's way more than it was new (and, despite what the ad says, it is not "rare).

That is a hot guitar, though. I personally love those flake finishes.

JimF, FromTheMausoleum and sirbuh like this.
  14. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

Yeah, the asking price for that particular guitar is straight up delusional. Even with the "discount" and the seemingly out of control prices of things in the used market these days.

15. spudmunkey

"Yeah, but you save on the wait time."

Hollowway and mbardu like this.
  16. Metal Mortician

Metal Mortician Ninja Lurker

Happy to sell stuff while the used market is going strong. Getting divorced helps that.:(

Perhaps it’s time to embrace minimalism.

17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I know. I have a couple guitars I know I could sell for a tidy sum, but at the same time I don’t want to. So I don’t think I will.

The good news is that Kiesels are looking like crazy good deals new, now. No more settling for specs that you wouldn’t have chosen, given that the people selling are asking for too dollar. I still want one of those 7 string basses, so I may have to suck it up and order one.

18. spudmunkey

If/when the time comes, make sure to talk to your salesperson (likely Kieth, since I think he's their "bass" guy) about your desired string gauges. I've seen some people mention the ferrules and saddles weren't what they were expecting. I *think* the point of contention was whether the highest string got a bass string or a low guitar stringtsaddle/ferrule. I think the issue is that someone just didn't know what they were going to receive, and it wasn't what they were expecting. I may have some of those details wrong, but just know that it's something that's come up for a couple of people.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Any news regarding the LSM7? I see on the website it's still a "call my guys" model. Are there any updates?

20. rabidwolverine214

rabidwolverine214 SS.org Regular

New Kiesel day for me. They have absolutely killed it with my two custom orders. HD6 with a 5A Flame top and Pale Moon Board 38CA45C2-925F-4CD0-89D9-8C90D3C014A7.jpeg