The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

Accurate.

2. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

It'd prob be easier to make one that tells you what is returnable. That list is much shorter

Solodini, iamaom, Jeff and 1 other person like this.
  3. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

Artists get 20 percent discounts. Didn't hear it from me

Hollowway likes this.
  4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Especially if you have additional limiting paremeters, like wanting it inline, still retaining the straight string pull, and don't want it needlessly large for the sake of decoration.

Jeff likes this.
  5. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Reminds me of the Agile headstock on the Sentinels and Texans.

Looks good (at least better). The Delos really turned out well IMHO.

6. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

Okay then. They now offer roasted maple necks and boards. I thought the prices would be dumb but they aren't. THEY ARE ACTUALLY ROASTED TOO

Mathemagician and Hollowway like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

oh trust me, I know, I've been doodling headstock designs for my personal builds for the last few years and it's extremely difficult to come up with a functional yet unique looking headstock.

Jeff likes this.
  8. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

Does anyone know how much is the upcharge for a metal flake silver finish ? I can't seem to find it on the online builder

9. spudmunkey

Either $400 or $600. They were $600 when they launched, but I think I remember someone saying they were dropping the price to $400... or at least thinking about it. They may still be $600 though.

lurè likes this.
  10. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

eww, not ready to drop that amount of money considering taxes etc.

11. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

My Kiesel is on its way. 11 days ahead of schedule.

12. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I'm starting to think (or perhaps convince myself) that a lot of the issues with Kiesel were when they were in the process of moving. I'm seeing NGD threads/posts all over the place (TGP, FB, and in-person with friends) and they're all amazing builds.

All I'd need to do is get over the bro-douchiness of Jeff K., and I can order one. :lol:

13. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

It's that last bullet that's the hardest to bite.

Jeff likes this.
  14. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Just like to once again register my bewilderment as to some of the build aspects on my Carvin JB200.

Currently trying to bring it up to the guitar it should be playing like by fitting a new trem and gutting the active electronics.

1. The floyd nut does not seem to be 14" like the fretboard, it looks like a 10" nut. It more than likely is considering even though I bought this used the floyd has never been shimmed to match a 14" radius.

2. Trying to change out the pickups I've quickly found that the legs on most humbuckers don't actually fit Carvin/Kiesel routes which results in me having to force the pickups in somewhat.

3. moving on the the electronics cavity, I ripped out the active system to go all passive only to find that not only have Carvin/Kiesel routed it so that only mini pots will fit through the pot holes. But that if you do find regular pots that fit through those holes you still won't be able to fit them as they haven't left enough space between the hole and the cavity wall to fit a regular sized pot.

I love this guitar with all my heart. It is my dream guitar. But it's a fucking mess.

Oh and bonus point #4 for the fact that they have CNC machines yet to this day still haven't routed a program to make trem cavity plates flush.

15. KnightBrolaire

you could always drill the pot holes a bit bigger

16. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I could, don't really want to though. But it doesn't fix the issue of the holes being too close to the cavity walls to let a regular sized pot fit anyway.

17. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

SO if anyone could point me in the direction of some 500K solid shaft mini pots, that'd be perfect.

18. spudmunkey

It's not a CNC issue.

There are three things they could do to make the plates flush. The driving force behind why they have the surface mounted plate is trem block clearance. Someone a few years back on the forum got Carvin to put a floyd on the TL60 for him. Those bodies were very slightly thinner than the other models, but it was enough that the trem block would bump into the trem cavity cover. You could see the cover bulge out when you pulled back.
    1. They could go with a custom, smaller block. In my head, this is the best answer. No idea why they haven't...I assume cost?
    2. They could make the body thicker, so that they could recess the plate. I don't think any more than 1/100 would trade making the body thicker to get a flush trem plate.
    3. Raise the height of the bridge over the surface of the body, so it's not as recessed. Again, I suspect most would prefer the trems to be as low as they can, as long as it still has the same pull back range.

19. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

There is ABSOLUTELY enough body thickness in this JB200 to have flush plate the same thickness as the electronics cavity.

Even cheaper options to deal with this issue, which imo is just lazy designing.

Thinner backplate cover.

Cut out a hole for the bridge, it wouldn't look out of place if you cut holes for trem spring adjustment anyway.

Or the much cleaner one if they really still can't be assed to figure it out.

Don't do it. Don't add one. Don't drill holes in the back of the guitar for a plate you can't be bothered to recess.

20. spudmunkey

While most of the above solutions come with other compromises (A thinner backplate or one with more holes is more likely to crack, or example...I've done it. I even put a THICKER backplate on a guitar after cracking the one that came on it), they will definitely make you a guitar without a trem plate or holes.

...for a fee, and no returns. :lol: