The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Forrest_H

Forrest_H How can she slap?

No chrome slats for sure, eugh.

Smoked tail lights would likely look better on a murdered vette anyways :( this is going to drain my bank account, so no aesthetic mods yet, don't worry :)

2. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Normally, I'm great at getting photos of other cars while I'm driving. But I just got the iPhone 6 and am not used to the size yet. So, no photos of the blue w/ white stripes Ford GT I saw this morning. A video would've been great, as he gunned the hell out of it after he got next to me. Glorious car!

3. Mr Violence

Mr Violence SS.org Regular

Well, I avoided the whole situation by making a big enough stink with Ford. They're covering all costs, so I lucked out!

I'll keep that in mind on my next purchase, which will most certainly be Honda, Toyota or Mazda. Thanks!

4. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Anyways, good to know that Ford did the right thing there! They had some recalls lately over the front right wheel bearing sheering off or something on a lot of their vehicles so who knows whats going on.

5. patata

patata 7 heaven

Anyone has any experience importing a car USA to EU?
    Costs etc

6. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Well, I may be moving again, from Charlotte to Seattle this time. As much as I'd enjoy another road trip, this will be in the dead of Winter. I'm not going to risk it, with all of those snowy states I'd have to pass through.

So I'd have to ship my car. Anyone have experience with that? Not something I've ever looked into. This may sound ridiculous, but can you load up your car with boxes and shit? That could save money on shipping my belongings. :lol: (i've drastically reduced the number of things I own with how much i've moved in recent years)

7. asher

asher So Did We

Did it once. Car arrived fine, I don't remember how much it cost, I had to drive out a ways from Oakland to pick it up from their lot, and no packing things in it.

8. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

You generally can't load it up because they don't want the liability of stuff bouncing around or thieves busting windows to take your stuff. I have seen some places allow you to put stuff in the car for an extra fee but it must all be below the level of the windows to be out of sight.

That's all I really know, I haven't done it myself.

9. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Yeah I figured there would be liability stuff. Oh well.

Either way, with the distance between here and Seattle, it's probably going to be expensive.

10. BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan Bald and gribbly.

I'm starting to think I may be addicted to fast Renaults, mine is swift but I really, really want to try this:

11. Forrest_H

Forrest_H How can she slap?

Well, my benz is dead. :(

[​IMG]

Rest in peace, my friend.

My dad wants to keep it, so who knows, might turn it into something crazy down the line :lol:

Still bummed though. Now I really need to find a replacement car :(

12. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

I somehow broke the shifter knob on my Mini. Bought a new one from TWM, the competition series. It's a 7" stick. Will post pics of install.

[​IMG]

13. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Love or hate NASCAR, this is ridiculous. Easy? I don't think anything is easy at 200 mph.

14. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

:wub:

The Charger Hellcat Is The Most American/Insane Car You Can Buy

"Trying to explain this car to non-car people is a great way to take a step back from the insular world of gearheadom and realize just how absurd the whole thing is. You can try to personify it, for example. You could tell a friend to imagine a successful, middle aged man, probably an orthodontist or something, who has good taste, is a responsible and dedicated dad, but also has one of the most elaborate and well-appointed sex dungeons in three states. The car's kind of like that."

Love it. Love everything about it!

15. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Edit: Apparently it double-posted.

16. asher

asher So Did We

17. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

Need a little advice...

I've been having some trouble with fouling the plug only in cylinder 4. Did a compression test last night and all 4 cylinders are at 180psi and they hold it well. If I'm not mistaken it appears to be fuel fouling. The plug is black and it smells like gas.

When I start the engine cold it jerks intermittently like somoene is lightly kicking the bottom of my seat. This dies down after about 30 seconds to a minute and/or when the RPMs finally settle (car begins to warm up).

I have a diagnostic scanner and when checking the realtime data, I don't really see anything out of the ordinary but I could be overlooking someting.

Aside from that, I know I have a bad cat and perhaps the O2 sensors as well. I've verified this in a number of ways...

-p0420 code
    -I used an infared thermometer to check the temp at the inlet and outlet
    -Looking at the O2 sensor readings on my scan tool suggest that the cat is bad. Both the upstream and downstream sensors bounce around all over the place.

I have a new cat already and I have purchased new O2 sensors as well as PCV valve for the hell of it since they're cheap and the car is getting old now.

Any ideas what it might be? I'd like to get it to stop fouling that plug before I throw the new cat and sensors on it. I posted this on a couple car forums as well but they're not as active as we are here, so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone had any ideas.

So far I have done the following:
    -Changed oil and coolant
    -Results: Smoother idle
    -Changed EGR valve
    -Results: Smoother idle, no more hesitating/trying to stall on hard acceleration
    -Changed spark plugs a couple times
    -Replaced all ignition coils
    -Replaced the injector for the cylinder that keeps fouling
    -Seafoamed the gas tank, vaccum lines (through the brake booster) and in the crankcase (36 hours prior to oil change)

18. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Beyond my pay grade there but FWIW the pre-cat o2 sensor readings should be bouncing around at idle, that is normal. The post-cat o2 should be more stable if the cat is working properly, if not then the readings should basically mirror the pre-cat sensor readings with a slight delay.

I had bad cats on my last Audi so I have gone through that whole scenario. The o2 sensors turned out to be fine on my car. The readings at idle looked like gibberish but logging them during actual driving they were fine.

19. Vhyle

Vhyle Jackson Shill

More info, Konfyouzd. How many miles are on this car?

Also, slightly rough idles at cold temps that last under a minute is usually pretty common on a car with high miles.

Also, for knowledge - if your O2 sensors and cat are all in perfect working order, pre-cat O2 sensor readings should be bouncing like crazy, and post-cat sensor should be reading level voltages. Slight fluctuation, within a volt, but it should be stable.

Have you given your fuel pressure regular a thought? Since you've already replaced the injector, you could look at that. You could be getting an extra bit of fuel dump right when you first crank the car on that particular cylinder, because of it. It's not a common occurrence, but I'd look into it.

Also, check voltages on all of the injector terminals and see if the readings vary a lot. Again, very unlikely, but rule it out anyway.

Does the car smoke at startup (aside from typical condensation from cold weather)? Even slightly?

20. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

143k miles.

And yea I know the second O2 sensor should be staying pretty steady. That's what leads me to believe the P0420 is for the cat not the sensors but I was gonna replace them all at once for the hell of it since I'm not sure how well the previous owner kept up with her.

There's no smoke at startup.

I'll check those voltages when I get a chance.

I did think it might have something to do w the fuel system but wasn't sure where to look after the injector. I'll check out the pressure regulator as well.

Thanks guys! I'll report back soon

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014