The Car Thread

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most power plants are still fossil-fueled, so regardless of if you have an ICE or an EV, it's still ultimately burning dinosaurs to power it unless you live close enough to nuclear or hydro
A) You would generally still get more miles out of an EV for the equivalent fossil fuel compared to gasoline in an ICE in terms of air pollution, unless you live somewhere where power is entirely coal like Poland, or West Virginia. Even if only 15% of the power is from natural gas, it starts to tip in EVs' favor.

B) Managing pollution at one source is much simpler, and much more effective, than trying to namage the pollution from thousands of individual vehicles with all of their own exhaust systems. And every time the power generation grid gets an upgrade, instantly every EV that draws power from it gets that same upgrade, whether it's improved environmental/pollution standards, or an increase in renewables.

C) the pollution from power generation is localized to the power plant, as opposed to just a few feet separating the particulate coming from tailpipes to your lungs.

D) More and more renewable energy is brought online all the time. So what might be 60% coal/30% nat gas/10% renewable today will invariably by 58%/28%/14% soon, and then 50%/25%/25% etc, while ICE cars are likely as efficient and clean as they will ever be.

E) if you're able to, throw some solar on the roof, and get at least a good chunk of your miles for free, paying for the solar in just a few years.

Like I mentioned in the last post, I totally get that they aren't for everyone...especially that last point above. Apartment dwellers without parking, for example, is a biggie.

Last edited:

NotAHoarder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, i totally understand the utility behind it. I think there are certain applications where they make perfect sense. For me personally though? I'd rather keep my 23yo Honda rolling along haha. Decent economy for the size and I can't kill it

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, i totally understand the utility behind it. I think there are certain applications where they make perfect sense. For me personally though? I'd rather keep my 23yo Honda rolling along haha. Decent economy for the size and I can't kill it
And keeping an already-built car running for as long as possible is the greenest option of all, anyway. :)

NotAHoarder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm shooting for 400k. Low compression in cyl 2, even still runs great. Original alternator went 283k and A/C compressor I just replaced last month

NotAHoarder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
'91 GTA. Red hardtop, TPI 350 w/ 700R4. Sold it back in 2011. Didn't have much done to it but damn it was fun to drive

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Fuck that guy. I'd immediately be walking over to the next dealer.

NotAHoarder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Careful w/ the auto trans. I worked at Nissan a few years back, the automatic transmissions used to blow up so often we'd be fighting over the transmission jacks cuz we didn't have enough of them

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So one of my coworkers has a 392 Challenger, and he's kinda made me realize I'm a horrible car guy. I have a diesel Jeep, emissions delete, exhaust and a tune just cold enough to not grenade that bulletproof Chrysler transmission. According to my tuner, 220 horsepower, a little over 400 ft lbs of torque and 30 pounds of boost.

We were talking about if we raced, and he was all about you don't fuck with a diesel. He's the one into street racing, all I've raced up until recently was a new Camaro (that I didn't think was a V8) and an early 90s Mustang GT. I wound up getting up to some shennanigans with an R/T Challenger, and we both put the hammer down getting on the highway. Holy Mama June, I get Challengers are heavy, but I'm in a Jeep and I almost rear ended that sumbitch while my Wuhan war whistle was still building boost.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Picked up my C6 Z from Mayhem motorsports in Raleigh on Monday; a year of learning the car (the shortcomings of the LS7) and researching how to have it built up plus the patience paid off.

The car is an absolute animal now; torque is all over the place and it's a blast.

The car spun on the dyno, and it was extremely hot when they ran it.

Attachments

• signal-2022-08-15-14-48-29-870.jpg
    signal-2022-08-15-14-48-29-870.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220815_181309.jpg
    20220815_181309.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220428_181754.jpg
    20220428_181754.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 10

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Picked up my C6 Z from Mayhem motorsports in Raleigh on Monday; a year of learning the car (the shortcomings of the LS7) and researching how to have it built up plus the patience paid off.

The car is an absolute animal now; torque is all over the place and it's a blast.

nice numbers...
what mods?

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
nice numbers...
what mods?

MAMO'fied MSD intake (ported)
Halltech killer bee 108 intake
Nick William 103 throttle body
BTR Stage 4 cam
Trick flow 260cc heads
2" American racing headers (jet hot coated)
Katech red oil pump
Lingenfelter expanded dry sump tank

Plus basic upgrades like lifters, pushrods and a trunking kit.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

🤜🤛

But I like the video you sent me yesterday better!

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
I've been looking at C6s here recently. They've been getting closer and closer to my "buy it now" price range for a few months.

There was a black '05 that came up for sale a month or so ago, but the interior was in rough shape. Most of what I find otherwise are white or silver. I hate white and silver might as well just be tan. And no one wants a tan car.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I love Corvettes, especially the older models.

I saw one while I was shopping damn, had to be an 70s or 80s Stingray Corvette! It was beautiful!

Side note, can anyone tell me what year this car is?
Screenshot_20220817-084405~2.png