The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

A little on the fence about this one:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-toyota-tundra-this-is-the-first-new-one-in-15-1847707105

So there's the new twin turbo V6 that will produce more power and have better fuel economy than the 5.7 V8. I love the 5.7 V8 and think it is bulletproof, but this may just have to be the way forward. The new front grill is horrible. Interior desperately need updating now that you have competition with trucks like the Ram Rebel. We'll see. I won't be getting a 2022, but here's to 2023 maybe.

wannabguitarist likes this.
  2. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

I'm not too thrilled about the design, feel like it's a fairly ugly truck. Twin turbos also have a tendency to lower reliability, not sure how they're going to get around that, considering turbos will always need rebuilding eventually.

3. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Agreed. The 5.7 V8 is just tried and true and very reliable. I won't get the first year it comes out, I'll let them sort through the bugs, and I don't keep them forever, so I won't be around for a rebuild hopefully.

4. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

I don't know what's going on with Toyota, but whoever is designing their grills has a problem.

I like Toyota and Lexus but this is gross.
    2022-lexus-es-051.jpg

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Design software:

[​IMG]

6. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

The 2023 Lexus RX was leaked
    ns0FXZz.jpg

7. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

I like the new Tundra, nowhere as egregious as some BMW designs. I guess everyone wants to slap an Ecoboost variant on everything that had a V8 previously.

Crungy likes this.
  8. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

Now what if, hear me out, they put two four cylinders in it and each had a turbo? It's just two four cylinders, and they would both have turbos so it will be super fuel efficient!

I'll see myself out.

9. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

I don't mind the Tundra as much compared to the Lexus grill but it looks like a weird hole that will swallow cars or small children in front of you.

I'm actually surprised Americans cars didn't do something like that, akin to wide mouth beer cans.

10. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

:lol: Close and lock the door when you leave please.
    GM chinese plastic parts bins can't accommodate something so well designed. It would take care of bikers as well :mk:

Crungy likes this.
  11. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

the Tundra is absolutely no bueno... but it sharing a platform with the Tacoma has me really interested in what's coming next for that.

I've been driving a red, 6 speed manual, Tacoma extended cab since 2007 and it's been rock solid, a blast to drive, taking it through rivers and shit but it's not family friendly so it'll have to go at some point. We've been looking at SUVs or hopefully a wagon, if I can convince my GF. But we also want to get a little trailer for camping so if I could get a hybrid Tacoma that actually gets acceptable mileage, fuck yeah!

Crungy and ElysianGuitars like this.
  12. ElysianGuitars

Last night I upgraded the brake pads and rear sway bar on my Miata (still on stock front sway bar) in preparation for autocross today. Had a blast, the new bar did exactly what I wanted it to. I only had 30 minutes of seat time before autocross this morning so the whole day was a learning experience, but I consider it a success. I placed 4th in novice, only 0.6s off 1st, and had a blast driving the car. This was also likely my last autocross in Texas, I don't know that I'll have time to do another till we get to Ohio. Here's my best run:

Direct link: Best run

wannabguitarist and sakeido like this.
  13. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Went to the Long Beach Grand Prix weekend before last. Didn't take any pictures, but god damn Indy cars on a street circuit are cool. Was able to hangout in the Acura "VIP" section because they let anyone in that came in an Acura and my buddy just bought a $400 1st gen MDX. We had the shittiest car in the lot :lol:

Also dropped my AP2 off at a friend's shop to install my refreshed head. Short list of what's going on:
    • OEM rebuild by Port Flow Designs with Supertech valves and dual valve springs
    • Urge Designs Bumpstix cams (why I needed upgraded valve springs). I run their exhaust and have high hopes for these: https://urgedesigns.com/bump-stix/
    • New OEM clutch+11.5lbs flywheel (down from 21lbs)
    • New Koyorad aluminum radiator
    The shop is also replacing all the 14 year old coolant and oil lines that are easily accessible with the head off. I should hopefully have the car freshly tuned and back in my hands by month end. I want 260whp but given that my block has 100k miles on it 240-250 is probably more reasonable. Either would be plenty for a 2,700lbs car.

Lots of money to still be slower than a C5 Corvette :lol:

sakeido likes this.
  14. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

lemme know what you think of the drivability with the lightened flywheel.

stupidest reason to upgrade ever but I hate how slowly my car puts on revs when I rev it in neutral :lol: I wanna zip up to redline and shoot flames instantly, plz. but I won't do it if it becomes impossible to leave a light smoothly

15. wannabguitarist

I really hope it doesn't make the car suck in traffic (not that it's already great). I've wanted a lightened flywheel for years, for similar reasons, but couldn't justify the cost or work without doing the clutch at the same time. I think it'll be fine since the AP1 came with a 14lb flywheel and 11.5lb ones are pretty popular.

I wish my car could shoot flames.

Got some pictures from the shop this morning:
    Pistons look good. No damage or pitting from detonation. Cylinder walls aren't scored.
    [​IMG]

My valves on the other hand are trashed :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coming into this I knew I had low compression on #3 and #4 due to burnt exhaust valves, I wasn't expecting to see so much pitting on #1 and #2. My friend says he believes it's from detonation (second explosion after combustion at TDC) but we don't know the cause. Could be too many tanks of bad gas, a bad tune (this is what I suspect), or maybe I overheated the car at some point. It's irrelevant now since everything is getting replaced and the car is getting a real tune on a dyno instead of the e-tune I got years ago.

sakeido likes this.
  16. ElysianGuitars

I ran a 12lb flywheel in my 2nd gen RX7s back in the early 2000s, they were fine in Seattle/Tacoma traffic.

wannabguitarist and sakeido like this.
  17. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Bite my glorious, golden ass!"

I hit two important milestones in the ol’ land yacht.
    6FC3A381-CFA1-4C56-BDF8-673C45FC45DD.jpeg 80172323-EBCB-48C7-9BD8-50EA58A0FDA3.jpeg

18. Riffer

Riffer WHAT

Took my 72 Nova out about a month ago and went to dinner with the woman. Had to park next to the new Vette in front of the restaurant. Pretty sure I got more looks than him.

50D44CDF-8A0E-42CC-8692-98BAFD75C486.JPG

Also, my dad just got a new toy. He sold his 1965 Chevy truck and went and bought a 1972 Vega drag car. Totally impractical. I tried to talk him out of it but he always wanted a drag car and now he's got it. It's got a 468ci big block making 960HP. The guy he bought it from has the 1/4 mile slips and it runs 8.6 seconds at 160mph.
    IMG_7381.JPG IMG_7393.jpg IMG_7394.jpg IMG_7395.jpg IMG_7397.jpg

19. wannabguitarist

Your Nova is honestly a much better looking car than the C8. I understand why Chevy gave the car a rear trunk (boomers and their golf clubs), but it just screws with the proportions.

960hp out of a 7.5L (?) is wild. I love it.

Riffer and ElysianGuitars like this.
  20. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I recently heard someone say that after a certain point, upgrading brakes was pointless because the thing that will slip is your tires. Thinking back, they may have specifically said this was for daily drivers, where ability to handle heavy and consistent use and heat wouldn't be an issue.

It kinda made sense, though I had never thought of it before. What is your take on this?