The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Did you add the electromagnetism pulse protection? I feel this is non-negotiable.

LordIronSpatula and StevenC like this.
  2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Didn’t feel the need, I thought it extravagant lol

3. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I try to stay away from thinking about cars since it's completely unnecessary in my area and actually a big nuisance, and very costly. But dammit:

wannabguitarist, JSanta and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  4. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

I usually don't geek out over cars, trucks, etc. That being said, only a few exceptions come to mind such as this-

[​IMG]

sakeido, vilk, Randy and 5 others like this.
  5. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

First world problem thread crossover: I'd like to take this moment to thank Honda's designers for putting the 8th gen Civic's starter behind a CV axle and an exhaust pipe.

Randy and Acaciastrain360 like this.
  6. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 SS.org Regular

That’s just as bad as some of the 6cyl E46 BMWs with it between the top of the gearbox bell housing and the bulkhead.... wtf bro

7. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

This is the car that I would have designed when I was 12 years old.

If I had multiple PhDs in engineering.

And an unlimited budget.

Oh, and it would have turned into a giant robot too!

8. LordIronSpatula

Seems like German cars are notorious for design choices like that. One of my friends had a VW that needed a new water pump, but the shop was going to need to take the entire front clip off the car to get to it. All the labor involved made the repair quote so expensive he just ditched the thing. :lol: Still though, I guess it seems more reasonable to want a starter to be accessible than a water pump.

In other news, I managed to maneuver my starter into its near-unreachable position, past a tight and super stiff wiring harness, and fasten the top mounting bolt that can only be seen from places where it can't be reached. What a PITA. I would have paid the extra $100 for an OEM Honda starter if I knew how annoying it was to replace because I sure don't want to do it again!

wannabguitarist likes this.
  9. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Sold the Perf

10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Possibly a stupid question, but for my future midlife crisis, what would it cost to buy a classic muscle car from the 70s and have it gutted and rebuilt with modern everything well enough to be a daily driver? Assuming I do literally nothing myself.

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Google "[insert car here] Restomod" and go from there. Really the sky is the limit, but if it's not going to be a daily and you only want it looking good from afar you can probably find a home-cooked something or a kit.

sakeido and LiveOVErdrive like this.
  12. MFB

MFB Banned

I've had my car for going on 4 years next month, and now that it's been paid off for a bit and I'm a little bored with the aesthetics - I'm looking to change it up; so I'm finally going to knock off something that I've not been entirely crazy about on the 2014 Focus, which is the front bumper. For reference, here's what the front end normally looks like on top, and what will be going replacing it on the bottom.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The original is just bland as boiled ham, they couldn't have found a better way to design the bar/badge area so it's not this awkard gap, like some mouth breather equivelant of a car?

Especially considering that was the last year they used this design, because then in 2015, Ford dropped this beaut on us but I couldn't afford what they were going for (nor did I really look at the next year up because at the time I was in immediate need of a car with my lease ending). I mean seriously, what the actually fuck, is so simple and straight forward comparing to the god damn Selkath mouth wannabe that mine is currently rocking.

[​IMG]

13. LordIronSpatula

I usally loathe aftermarket body kits but this is a good upgrade. I would go so far as to say the stock front end sucks ass. "Mouthbreather" :lol: The other two seem to nod at Aston Martin a little.

14. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

35K$ for a daily, 60+K$ for a perf street racer.

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I've got the same car (2011, but yeah, same body) and I quite like the front bumper on it :shrug: It looks much better IRL though. In that picture it looks almost like it's trying to be a SUV or something with those tires, mine's a fair bit lower due to the low profile tires (summer tires are 225/45 R17) and that also somehow makes the front bumper look less weird.
    But I agree that the next model is waaaaaay nicer. In general, IMO Ford nailed that front grill on the later models. I remember the first time I saw a 2017 (or whichever year they updated to the current design) Mondeo, I thought it was a Maserati or something before noticing the badge...

[​IMG]

Then I googled and almost shat myself when I realized I could actually own one of those if I wanted to put the money into it :lol: But I prefer to have a slightly smaller car, so the Focus isn't going anywhere for now.

That said... My Focus just had its' 10 year anniversary, so soon it'll be time to trade it in for something newer. It'd be a bit boring, but chances are I'll just get the next Focus...

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  16. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Bite my glorious, golden ass!"

I spent 6 cumulative hours over the span of the last two weeks at the Nevada DMV. My car is officially registered. I have the entire history of the car back to when it was originally sold and I STILL had to dig up other forms and sheets so they would actually do it.

Never again.

17. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Absolutely. It's a huge business. If you've got a well supported platform, you can just bolt on everything you want and basically turn your old car into a Corvette, but better. Look up Detroit Speed Engineering.

--

RX-7 is running decent this year. Needs a bunch of parts like usual... finally got my stance dialed in, but the front hubs don't like the extra camber so I need to rebuild em. Battery has gone flat and won't hold a charge, again (fuck Optima!) so I ordered a little lithium ion battery to replace it. Should save about 25 pounds off the nose and it has almost double the cranking power, which will be nice to have when my rotary inevitably wears out and gets hard to start when its hot. And I seem to be losing reverse in my transmission so I got it stuck in a parking spot and had to push it out once already... gonna put new shifter bearings in and a fluid change and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, tranny rebuild time.

Been a good couple years at work so it might be time to finally put it in at the body shop and get it restored. Seems like a shame to repaint it when most of the paint is in great shape but pretty much every panel has a ding or scrape or paint flaked off it so it needs a full re-do. But we've got a baby on the way, so maybe the car is just gonna get neglected for a few years.. we'll have to see how she goes

Nice shot from a short cruise I did with my buddy and his 30th Anniversary Edition Trans Am a couple weeks ago. This is before I added camber - crazy how less than 1 degree extra negative camber makes such a big difference, it looks way better now with the fronts tuckin into the fenders just right but I haven't done a photo shoot yet hah.
    IMG-20210516-WA0005.jpg

Randy likes this.
  18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Why is the only all electric mustang not a mustang? I want to seriously look at electric vehicles, but arguably the “best” in every category is Tesla, and only the model S is attractive. But I’m not dropping $90+ on transportation.

sirbuh likes this.
  19. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

That confused me so much too! "check out the all new electric mustang!"
    "oh sweet! That sounds amazing!"
    "it's an electric honda crv"

Mathemagician likes this.
  20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

*Waits until 2022 for the Lightning to launch*