The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Ah I'll say Porsche is an interesting brand, it's not for everyone, and certainly if you care about having a car that stands out or you want something that looks exotic, most of them fall quite short. But my god, the driving experience, the refinement, the reliability, the way they adapt to all situations, it's just something else. It's one of those things that when you drive a good 911, you understand why it's the benchmark.
    How something so strangely designed could be so balanced near and at the limit almost defies all logic.

The car you posted is the 996 generation, which is a very divisive generation because of the headlights, the fact that they are the first water cooled generation, and also the fact that they moved to more efficient parts bin construction. As a result those cars are currently a bit of a bargain, but that might not be the case for long.

wannabguitarist, Millul and lewis like this.
  2. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

996s are deeply disliked by Porsche purists for the reasons Bulb listed above, but despite all the hate they are pretty fucking great to drive. Honestly better than the much loved and praised 993 (final air-cooled car). Similar weight (can be lighter depending on spec), more power, updated transmission and suspension geometries. Really great if you can get past the headlights and questionable interior quality :lol:

I just confirmed that I have a burnt exhaust value on cylinder 4 in my AP2 and slightly lower compression on that cylinder. Debating whether or not I want just live with it (cheap and I'm probably not losing that much power), do an OEM rebuild, or blow my 2020 bonus on hot cams and an aggressive rebuild. Leaning towards option 3 if I can get confirmation that hot cams can still pass California's absurd smog checks.

sakeido likes this.
  3. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

lumpy idles are awesome so you gotta go for that... I don't see how that could possibly pass inspection, though. I thought most guys running hot cams in California are cheating their checks by swapping top ends & tunes back and forth for the inspection?

996s did drive nice too, my shortlist was 996 Carreras and RX-7s. The flat six was a dream. Couldn't get over the looks at all though, guy had it parked next to a 991 which imo is when Porsche perfected the styling.. the 996 looks horrible in comparison. The old air cooled cars are almost certainly worse cars but they've got classic looks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  4. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

I haven't driven a 911, but I feel my S3 hits a lot of the perks you've mentioned here, so totally understand. Even for an entry level sports car, the attention to detail, refinement, reliability, and driving experience are absolutely phenomenal. One day I'm sure I'll own a 911, that is the dream.

wannabguitarist and Millul like this.
  5. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I had an S3 for a little bit and it was a great little car, was an awesome daily and practical car that was still way fun to drive!
    If you like, and kinda count on german refinement when you spend money on a car, I think you would be blown away by a good 911, especially if you get a chance to push one. The RWD ones have the RWD turn in and steering feel, with AWD corner exit grip.

ElysianGuitars and Millul like this.
  6. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Doug DeMuro made a great point about the 996, which is that even if you hate the headlights, from any angle other than the front, it's a beautiful and well proportioned 911. I still say that makes 996 one of the most cost effective ways to get into a great modern 911.

Sucks about the AP2. I love s2000s, it's a shame the prices of the motor are just going up and up, but that's to be expected at this point.

StevenC likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

if you do get a 996. make sure it's a turbo or one that has the ims problem factory fixed already.

otherwise your engine will 100 percent blow up eventually.

also can i say i hate the new generation of 911.

The styling looks like they just cut the middle section off a panamera ick

8. wannabguitarist

Depending on the year of your car you either have to do a sniffer test or the smog station checks the emissions codes through your OBD2 system (this is what's done with my car). At the moment I swap to my OEM tune and change the mid-pipe on my exhaust every two years. The concern with cams is whether or not you can safely run them on a tune that won't trip the OEM emissions codes. If someone has cams that can't be smogged or any other non-CARB legal mod that isn't easily reverisble they usually just find a sketchy smog person ($$$$).

I'd prefer boost over an N/A build but there are currently zero California smog legal options on the market.

I'm not a fan of his review style but he's definitely right there!

Thankfully there are plenty of shops in SoCal that do head rebuilds and using all new OEM parts comes out to a fairly reasonable price (less than a USA made guitar :lol:)

I believe the 3.4 996s also don't have IMS concerns, or at least it's rare compared to the 3.6 :yesway:

9. Riffer

Riffer PRS

Waiting until the weather gets a little better before I finish up some stuff on my 1972 Nova. Have to get the exhaust put on and work on a tune up. Here's the fleet all together :agreed:

Left to right:
    1969 Chevy Nova (my brothers)
    1972 Chevy Nova (mine)
    1965 Chevy C10 Truck (my dads)
    1966 Chevy II Nova (my brothers)

All The Cars 1.jpg

10. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

My little 95 Explorer, all cleaned up and ceramic coated.
    [​IMG]

sakeido, bulb and Seabeast2000 like this.
  11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

What do you guys think of the 992 GT3?

xzacx likes this.
  12. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

"Yes"

xzacx likes this.
  13. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Ceramic coated? Like cerakote?

14. wannabguitarist

Gotta figure out how to sell our house without my wife knowing.

Furtive Glance likes this.
  15. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Yes, another product but same effect. I got it for a fraction of the cost, thanks to the "I work in the industry" discount :agreed:

Some mild paint correction on two of the fenders, but mostly this is just a detail. I asked the guy I know and he said they use Glänz

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Seabeast2000 likes this.
  16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

17. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I usually hate big wings...one of the reasons I love the 911R so much...but the hung wing puts it over the top for me.