The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Have we discussed these yet? I haven't studied these enough but it looks like two separate lines, each loaded with submodels and package options. Regular Offroad-intensive Bronco and the Sport Less Offroad-Intensive, I guess. Priced within modern reasonable standards.

I'm excited but the roll-out is going to be another year or two, it seems, before you see them sitting on a lot after the pre-orders get delivered.
    Let your vehicular GAS specs run amok at www.ford.com/bronco .

[​IMG]

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I sold my last Jeep at the end of last year, and I've been aching for something to fill the void.

A 2-door would be awesome.

I just hope they don't botch the release of these like the new Explorer.

High Plains Drifter and Adieu like this.
  3. MFB

MFB Banned

I get that it's the styling of the classic Bronco, but that front end does nothing for me, should've modeled it like they did the new Ranger instead of the "ENTIRE COMPANY BRAND/MODEL ON THE FRONT." The owner knows what they bought, and if someone is curious, they can check out the tailgate to find out. Looking at the specs, the base model for the 2-door says 7 speed manual/10 speed automatic, does that mean Ford has shifted into using VDT instead of the DCTs they've been using? (pardon the shift pun) I know my stepdad's Nissan currently has an issue with his and I believe there was a big recall on them not long ago, so if so, they might not be able to catch a break between that and the previous DCT recall that cost them in the ballpark of what, $4B or somewhere thereabouts?

All that said, I'd still take a 90's Wrangler body and throw a newer engine/transmission under the hood

4. Seabeast2000

Good point, I think Ford spent a decade paying for those in warranty obligations and class action. I certainly would assume they abandoned that design but I don't know.

5. Seabeast2000

What happened with the Explorer? Announced then delayed excessively?

6. MaxOfMetal

These are going to have more grill options than the F150, so there might be something that you dig.

The 10 speed is the same as the Explorer and Ranger, 7 is Magna/Getrag, so it should be solid.

Tons of quality issues and recalls. They practically had to rebuild folks' cars.

The IIHS results weren't great either.

wannabguitarist and Seabeast2000 like this.
  7. Seabeast2000

I think this is just a very inefficient R&D approach. :lol:

8. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, I guess they just released the Ford Explorer Public Beta. :lol:

9. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Changed my summer car a little over a week ago. Been driving and enjoying my '87 Pontiac Trans Am (305cu, manual 5 speeds) for 4 years but I felt like I needed something a bit more useful for when I want to travel for several days. The T-Top on the T/A was good, but I was always worried that the humidity would end up messing the interior.

20180520_154929 (Large).jpg

So a local guy was looking to get a vintage T/A or Camaro for his 2009 Dodge Charger SRT8, figured it was worth a try as I already own a 2017 Charger Rallye AWD and really enjoy driving it. After some discussion, agreement on extra money from my side and couple of smalls repairs on the T/A, here comes the new ride. 6.1L Hemi is packing a lots of power and rumble. I'm also a sucker for black car, so that Galaxy Black (maybe not the official name, but looks like it) is absolutely perfect. Plan to change the head and tail lights for something better, but beside that it just looks awesome. Already has a Catback exhaust, looking to upgrade the intake and add something to have a better response out of the throttle pedal / throttle body. Beside that, its already powerful enough for my needs, will probably try it at least once in a drag track but its mostly for joy riding.

Allright, couple of picture now

20200823_1503052.jpg

20200823_150448 (Large).jpg
    20200823_151656 (Large).jpg

10. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Picked up this old boy for $1800. I'm calling him Eddie and everything is in exceptional condition, considering it's 25 years old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna replace the leaf springs because they're flat like pancakes on a log. Lift in its future, and probably an ecoboost swap. 4wd works great so it's screaming for some off road trimmings

11. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Pretty decent looking, very babied exterior

Why an Explorer and not an Expedition though? Better deals there, lots of government surplus trucks, more compatibility with dirt-cheap F150 parts and hence modability, etc.

12. MoonJelly

No emissions on '95 model (expedition would have me wait 2 years), interior is like the exterior. Plus the price was right! An expedition round here would have cost 2-3 times what I paid.

I would've picked up an older one if I could, wanted to do the whole jurassic park theme

Millul and Adieu like this.
  13. Seabeast2000

I'm trying to figure out why the mid-size truck offerings are just a hair lower than the full size trucks. I don't see the gain outside of just smaller physical size. MPG to performance maybe? I can't keep up with every engine spec out there. If I'm getting 20 MPG in a 5.0L F150 4x4 and 20 MPG in a Toyota 3.5L 4x4 highway, I'll take the F150 for comfort and overall utility long-term.
    I say this after eyeballing several 2019/2020 trucks. Also looks like you can get a diesel in a RAM 1500 but not a cheap option.

14. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Probably because fullsize trucks traditionally have affordable barebones contractor and government-oriented submodels, while "midsizes" try to upsell you on bells and whistles at the stealership

There's obviously going to be overlap

Also, just-a-bit-smaller trucks are often marketed at chicks, families, etc., and then use "biggest/roomiest/etc in class" marketing language, so expect them to keep growing

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  15. MoonJelly

Yeah, everybody has a diesel 1/2 ton now. The silverado gets like 32mpg on the 20/21 model

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  16. Seabeast2000

I'll check these out.

EDIT: Looks like F150's will have the 3.0L Powerstroke option for 2021.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  17. MoonJelly

Concerning diesel 1/2 tons,

-Ram 1500 has had the ecodiesel...over a decade, anyway. The VM Motori/Fiat designs have been dropped in little dodge products even longer.
    -F150 has had the 3.0 Powerstroke since 2018, albeit even on the used market they're extremely expensive.
    -Silverado/Sierra was a bit late in 2020 with the 3.0 Duramax, but has the most mpg.

Smaller pickups like the Colorado/Canyon have had the 2.8l Duramax for a few years. Also the Jeep Grand has had the ecodiesel since 2011 or so.

I pondered doing a diesel swap in a midsize SUV for years, but looks like I've found a guy who's a good source for EcoBoost swaps near me, so I'll likely go that route once I've saved for a while. Right now he has a 2.3l from a mustang with a 6 speed manual that's super tempting, but I'm not there yet.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  18. Seabeast2000

Well holy shit, I was not aware.
    Dealer sites around here seem to be particularly bad about putting the word DIESEL in listings or im missing it all.

19. MaxOfMetal

The diesel options just aren't really that great unless you have very specific needs. Between gas engines getting more efficient, transmissions getting more gears, and the cost of diesel going up, unless you have a very long highway commute, don't do much city driving, and need to tow fairly often there's usually a gas model that's a better fit and for much less, not to mention actually available on dealer lots in the trim you want.

20. MoonJelly

Absolutely! It's sad we didn't have more stuff like the 1/2 tons in the late 90's, when diesel meant 1.5-2x better mpg and it was cheaper than gas. These newer offerings will be surpassed in a few years with the rise of electric pickups.

While I don't think ICE will be replaced any time soon, diesel tech will seem even more obsolete as electrics become a more common alternative to gas.