The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I really wish I'd bought one when I lived in CA and biked to work everyday. They were EVERYWHERE out there and if it broke down... Who cares? I biked everywhere anyway.

Oh well. I guess my genesis is fun too.

2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i had way too many cars so i sold my 88 mklll turbo supra to my brother with the thought that i will concentrate all my efforts on my 95 mkiv supra that has been in the project stage for 3+ years.

i had 8 cars and 2 crotch rockets at one time and am down to 4 and 0 bikes now...

3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

test drove a manual 991.2 gt3 yesterday
    that car is special, the fact that it came out in 2018 shows there's still hope
    it's not the fastest, or the loudest, or the grippiest or the best at anything, and yet it's kinda perfect
    i want one, either i'm upgrading the cayman to that eventually, or i'm gonna try to save up for a downpayment on a house and trade into a civic type-r and hope the 992 gt3 is even better.
    advice?

4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

My dad had an 88 mkiii non-turbo that he bought new when I was growing up. Sold it the year before I got my permit. That engine blew so many gaskets. Still wish I got to drive it.

5. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

yeah the 7m engine is notorious for bhg...

his motor was specifically the 7m-ge since it was n/a, mine was the 7m-gte which is the turbo version. too bad you didn't get to drive it because they are fun. heck, you could probably pick a decent one up for $8ķ to 15k depending on how much work your willing to do.

6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

My first car (which I bought in my mid twenties) ended up being a genesis coupe so that scratched that itch neatly.

I want to trade it for a subaru though. Rwd in Minnesota gets.... Challenging sometimes. Plus a canoe rack would be clutch.

7. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Just came here to complain.

I bought a 95 Isuzu Rodeo off the side of the road a few months ago, $800 USD, not bad. Had to learn how to drive stick to get it home, shout out to wikihow.

It's old so I expected issues, a few days ago the battery died on me. No big deal, went and got a new one. Turns out it's not charging. Okay, again not the biggest deal, I call up my mechanic buddy and he takes a look, tells me I probably need a new alternator. At this point, I'd also been told the power steering belt was loose when I bought it, and he told me the adjuster was maxed out and I probably needed a new belt. I look up some youtube videos and do my best "aw hell, I can do that!" and set off to Napa.

Fast forward a few hours, I have to get the power steering belt off to inspect the alternator belt (might as well while I'm in here) so I figure I'll take care of that first. I get everything loosened up, and the pump isn't budging so I get my hammer and give it a few GENTLE taps on the steel plate where a breaker bar would attach. It moves free no problem, I swing it down and take the belt off and HOLY F***ING S*** I BROKE MY F***ING CAR WITH A HAMMER LIKE A BIG F***ING OAF F***!!!!!

The power steering pump mounts to a bracket, which mounts to the engine block by three bolts. Well, at least it did once upon a time. The power steering belt WAS loose. It was old and cracked, too. But that wasn't the only reason it was loose. It was also loose because of the three bolts that once attached this bracket to the engine block, the back one remains entirely, the middle one is shorn off where the bracket meets the engine block, and the only thing left of the third one is a lonely hole caked with the grime of ages.

Now of course, my first thought is that I sheared the bolt and broke my own car, but the odds of me shearing a bolt with a few gentle taps of a framing hammer are just... well.. not good. Closer inspection revealed that the area between the bracket and engine block were also caked with grime, which was a slight relief in that I now know *I* didn't destroy my vehicle.

So here I am, I have the new alternator in which is cool and was a great confidence boost cause I don't know anything about cars and did it all by myself, but my options for dealing with my power steering are as follows:

1. No power steering. This undesirable for obvious reasons, but also the car was $800 so I am prepared to accept this outcome.

2. Put the new belt on, tighten everything down and say "f*** it." This is my mechanic friend's advice and probably what I'll do, though I will keep a close eye on the pump and bracket. If the situation worsens any I'll switch to option 1.

3. Find a "new" bracket from a scrap yard and bolt it on with two new bolts. This is somewhat more likely than it sounds because everything that comes to interior Alaska stays here and there's probably not a lot of demand for 1995 Isuzu Rodeo Power Steering Pump Brackets. This solution involves the most assumptions (chiefly that I can find the part, and that the empty hole is salvageable ie not rusted or stripped out) but also has the best potential outcome. If I had a garage and a backup vehicle I wouldn't hesitate to go look for the part and disassemble half my engine on a "maybe," but as it stands that's not really in the cards for me.

In conclusions, cars are poor people traps and I'm real glad I bought a bicycle last year. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

steinmetzify likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Ugh, this reminds me of having to extract, drill, and tap for a new motor mount on a rust bucket 92' Cherokee. The damn thing crumbled to dust as I was trying to remove it and both bolts broke off straight on. That's a hot August afternoon I'll never forget.

narad and sirbuh like this.
  9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

My battery gave up today as well. I don't think the alternator is busted because after jump starting the car and driving to town, it started just fine. I'm slightly worried about something draining the battery, but then again, the car has been warning about the battery randomly for almost a year.
    So fingers crossed that the new battery does the trick. I bought pretty much the best battery I could find too.

10. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I'm not in the market for one, but anyone have or know anyone with a 17' - newer Raptor? Curious about how they're holding up quality/reliability wise.

Adieu likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I have a co-worker with a 17' Scab he bought new. Fucking loves it. Hasn't had any problems as far as I know, but I'll ask him tonight. Anything in particular?

12. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

I bet the broken off bolt is big enough to extract. Drill down the center with a reverse threaded drill bit and pound a torx bit in the hole, as big of one as you can without risking messing up the threads in the block. I’ve had better luck getting torx bits to grab than any “screw extractor” I’ve tried - those all seem to be basically garbage.

Might also help to heat it with a torch and/or hit it with penetrating oil (not in close enough succession to cause a fire, of course...)

13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Blowtorch, then touch an unlit candle to it. The wax will melt and wick into the threads and lubricate them.

Then hit it with a screw extractor.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  14. TheShreddinHand

Nothing in particular. Just curious if there were any glaring quality issues to be aware of. Obviously not counting someone who bombs the truck off jumps or anything, haha!

15. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

new Fords are actually great vehicles. The Raptor especially, thing is super overbuilt. Treated nicely the only issues I'd worry about are the size. The things are HUGE. Totally incompatible with urban life, which is fine, cuz that's not what it's built for

16. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Not a problem, you get used to it pretty quick. It's about the same dimensions as a Suburban. Plenty of people drive those in cities.

Parking something that size used to be intimidating, but all the newer models have cameras, and many have 360 cameras which take all the stress out of it.

17. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Bite my glorious, golden ass!"

I'm not a truck person at all but I would totally own a Raptor. Either generation. Love those things.

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Is it weird that I want to buy a 67 shelby cobra shell and put an electric motor in it?

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  19. TheShreddinHand

So I stopped by a dealership today just to look at em and looking underneath the truck in the rear, the transfer case and rear axle are already covered in rust on a brand new 75k truck. Amazing, isn’t even winter in PA yet! I can’t believe they don’t seal the undercarriage.

20. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Finally got around to taking some decent pictures of my car after the repaint:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still need to install the OEM seals on my replica Mugen hardtop, but I'm in no rush. All of my drives are point A to point A and it's summer in San Diego. The soft top delete saved me around 60lbs which more than offsets the 30lbs of hardtop and related hardware.

nikt, steinmetzify, sakeido and 2 others like this.