The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Haha well, that makes sense. E30s are ludicrously cool cars. But if you really do want an FC, you should start looking soon... practically impossible to find clean ones anymore. They're appreciating fast cuz drifting has killed so many of them off.

Definitely not many 10AEs left. They were never common to begin with.. they make more Huracans in a year. The "special edition" paint typically comes flaking off in huge sheets so a lot of 10AEs have rusted away to nothing.. there was one local I looked at as a parts car, it was in such horrible shape you'd swear they abandoned it on a beach and let it get swept away by the ocean.

2. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I might be off the mark, but I do feel like they aren’t as ludicrously expensive as they were a few years back. Saw an m3 for sale for under 50k with 85k miles, but it did look like it had race seats and some mods...

3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

The electric car acceleration party trick is real. Combustion engines just can’t do that, even with similar looking figures. With that said, on a twisty backroad, I’d choose an s4 every time!

4. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

Oh I'm hung up on the non-M E30s I already own :lol: My wife would kill me if I got another project :rofl:

5. ElysianGuitars

Yeah, if I ever wind up getting one again it wouldn't even matter if it was a Turbo II or not, I'd build what I wanted anyways. I almost never see any RX7s in Austin.

6. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Obviously I had limited time with it but for the few roads I got to go down that had some twists, the Y was very well planted and handled pretty well for what it is. I was very surprised.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Constant torque is a hella of a thing. Straight line acceleration is bonkers.

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I don't have a space for a car at the moment but damn, rewatching this video really makes me want one:

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  9. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Anybody rocking Recaro seats in their whip?

sirbuh likes this.
  10. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

There is a house near my wife's workplace that has one of those on the driveway in bright yellow. So wrong and yet so right?!?!?!

11. ElysianGuitars

Seen a lot of mention of Avalon King's Armor Shield ceramic coating on automotive Youtube lately, so bought some a while back to give it a try. Finally got time to do that this weekend, and the S3 looks like a million bucks. Seems to work as advertised too, a bird tried to take a crap on my car and it literally fell right off the car. Pics, before the bird crap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I still have enough left in the bottle to do the car at least 1-2 times more. I'm pretty happy for now, we'll see how it holds up long term. Thinking about doing my Colorado, since it still has like new paint 2 years later.

sakeido, Furtive Glance and Mattykoda like this.
  12. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

What did you use to apply it? I've been told by detailers here not to do ceramics if you like to wax your own car, so I've steered clear.

13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

That looks great. I'd never heard of these coatings... so many cool finish tech out there these days...

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  14. ElysianGuitars

Used the applicator pad they included, it's a wipe on/buff off coating. I'm sure it's not as awesome as the professional stuff, but I did this because I don't really have time to wash my car as regularly as I like, was hoping for a simpler solution.

15. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

This is why I ceramic coat my wheels. I hate cleaning wheels and coating makes it super easy. I haven’t done a car coating yet but trim and wheels I like to do so then you don’t have to worry about them. The prep is what matters most.

@ElysianGuitars that paint looks great. No high spots on the coating or anything?

16. ElysianGuitars

I forgot to clean the wheels when I did all this, but I was considering doing the coating on them as well. These wheels are super easy to clean but I'd still rather not :lol:

This coating is likely only microns thick, so don't think there'd be any high spots. Whatever there is, it looks incredible in person. Went to the grocery and getting in and out of the car I just had to stop and look at it.

17. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Bite my glorious, golden ass!"

I think it looks pretty damn good. I would certainly spring for that kind of a coating were I to own a newer car, or maybe after having a full correction done.

18. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Unrelated but nobody I know IRL is into cars at all so I thought I'd post it here:

I think my stupid impractical dream car is an El Camino. Probably a 1968-9, but maybe even one of the ugly ones from the 80s. But with a big blower coming out of the hood, black, with white racing stripes. I don't know why. Maybe it's Archer.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  19. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Hell yeah! Love those. As a kid I had a neighbor with a red ‘67 that was also glorious.

20. ElysianGuitars

I had a 73 El Camino with a 74+ front end, loved that thing, even if it was a junker.

LordIronSpatula likes this.