The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Get a battery tender. Its something you hook up when the car is in storage.

Battery will go dead if car not being driven.

A battery charger, you have to take off when charged or it will fry battery.

A battery powered jump starter, charging the battery with an alternator, and a battery tender is the best buy.

2. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Ironic that this has come up again today - just tried to start it again and it's dead as a do-do. Again.

Going to have to get a new battery and keep it charged properly. At least now that the UK is lifting lockdown a bit more, I can warrant using my car a bit more.

3. ExplorerMike

ExplorerMike 60% of the time...it works every time.

Agree with GoldDragon....Battery Tender is money well spent.

4. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Well I got my TIG welder... it took two weeks of furious cleaning and re-organizing of the whole house to actually make a space for it. Garage looks absolutely fantastic now.

Then I found out there's shortages on basically everything else I needed locally due to COVID... can't get decent sized cylinders, can't get welding rods in the diameters or grades I need, they only have a scattered assortment of consumables, and it's gonna stay that way for the next month minimum unless I feel like going to Acklands and paying double.

So probably gonna send this stuff back for now and try again when things have calmed down a bit. I'll probably go for a more expensive machine too. This thing is pretty decent, HF start sparks up instantly and it's holding a great arc but torch is pretty crappy and the foot pedal is SO bad. So I'm thinkin the Everlast range might be good but can't say I'm blown away by their cheapest model.. it's the welder equivalent to the cheapest Squire, basically. Sure it works, you could probably do some sick welds on it if you really knew your shit, but it's not exactly sparking joy

The Strong Hand Nomad table is fantastic though... keeping that. Gonna use it as a outfeed for my table saw for now. Recommend it to anybody needing a heavy duty portable table.

Attached Files:

5. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Thinking about a civic type r, never thought I’d actively want a FWD car, but I rented one I while back and it kinda blew me away. Plus when you are inside and actually driving it you don’t have to see the horrible styling with your own eyes. Insane grip.

6. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Current gen?

7. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

8. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Got a Kouki Wing on my Silvia now.
    Wow...so much better looking than the tiny stock one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

The next gen one has been spotted testing already (not just the mid-cycle facelift of the current one) so it might be about to get even grippier! Can you get the current Type R without the all the aero? I know there was talk of doing a more "sleeper" looking version.

10. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

yup Honda announced it for the 2020 model year. It just swaps the rear wing out for a smaller one, so it's still super ugly. The base Civic is so hideous Honda deserves a trophy for finding a way to make it even worse.

imo the Type R is just too far over the line in terms of cosmetics, the driving experience is good no doubt but I wouldn't want to be caught dead driving that car.. never mind pay money for one. There's a lot of interesting stuff coming out near-future I'd rather have instead. Mk8 GTI for instance.

extremely hot. underappreciated car, imo. Kouki S14s are right up there with the S15

dog is my co-pilot
    20200603_162641.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Ah there's always a new one, however something else that makes that car attractive is how well it has held value, so it truly wouldn't cost much to own one for a year or two!

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  12. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

In that case, you should definitely get one and "just have fun with it" :D Also... if you do get a Guntherwerks - We need a limited editiion matching guitar from you limited to 25 examples as well!!! Just sayin' ;)

13. NickBen

NickBen SS.org Regular

Figured I would post my new baby - picked up an M2 earlier this year and have been loving it! It has some M goodies including the MPerformance exhaust which sounds incredible. I almost snagged an F80 M3 but decided to get the coupe before I really need a sedan, as the size of the M2 is ideal and so nimble (not to mention it sounds way better). I’m also in the process of restoring a MKIV Supra (pic below is right after it was towed to my place after being out of commission and in a leaky garage for years). Below are a few pics but I actually just started an instagram documenting my restoration on the Supra and throw in some M2 mods every once in a while - @mysuprastory - cheers!

Attached Files:

Furtive Glance likes this.
  14. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

@NickBen standard or automatic?

Also which M2 did you get exactly? Once the house is paid off (in my dreams) I'd love the M2 Competition in that ultra sexy blue.

Congrats in any event. M2 is probably my favorite actually obtainable car even.

15. NickBen

NickBen SS.org Regular

It’s the auto - the DCT is a lot of fun and super fast and I have the Supra when I need my manual fix. It’s a 2018 M2 - I just really enjoy the sound and platform of the N55 engine. The M2c is obviously epic as well - I really liked the interior since you get the m4 seats, but overall the standard M2 was a better fit for me. I also really wanted to do the mineral gray/black/carbon aesthetic, so this spec worked out for me! My prior car was an M235i so I had some experience modding the N55 and had no reliability or issues in general.

ThePIGI King likes this.
  16. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

If I ever end up with a guntherwerks, I promise I will.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  17. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

You did good, m2 is one of bmws finest cars, spiritual successor to the old m3, and personally id take one over the m4 every time. Also, as much as I love manuals, never been a fan of these bmw manuals, and the dct is so good, I can’t fault you for that. Take that thing to an autocross or track day, you will have fun with it!

NickBen likes this.
  18. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I believe it depends on the country/marked that your're looking at.

To me it appears that in the US the S14 240s are regarded as shit boxes that often times end up as cheap drift cars.
    Seeing so many of them with mismatched body panels, dented and with horrible diy paint jobs makes me think so.

While over here in Europe S13s and S14 Zenkis are considered cheap drift cars. S14 Koukies might have exeeded the price limit over the years.
    I see more and more people using their koukies as well-cared weekend fun mobiles and getting cheap BMWs for drifting / as beater cars.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not a country/marked thing. Could be the latest price progression of 90s japanese RWD turbo cars as well.

19. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

Haven't seen a 10AE in a LONG time. Love FC's. Want to get another one, but too hung up on E30s right now.

sakeido likes this.
  20. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Just test drove a model Y performance today and holy crap that acceleration no matter what speed you’re going. I have an Audi S4 and getting back in it after the test drive I couldn’t believe how slow it felt.